Post-Game Talk: 800th Win at the Joe - Wings down Flames 4-2

Aug 6, 2012
Happy to be at this one. Wings played great, lots of star candidates tonight.

Larkin
Richards
Mrazek
HM: Sheahan

Go Wings

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
No blown lead for a change. PP awful as usual. But glad about those two points though.
As the Panthers and Bruins are still on a winning streak, that win was quite crucial.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
1st and 3rd periods were mediocre. Very good 2nd though. Getting that 2 goal lead was key as you can always 100% bank on this team losing the 3rd period by at least 1 goal.

Big 2 points but gotta keep it going.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
not very impressed with the win

still same issues that have plagued the team all year. bad powerplay and a not so good 3rd period

the penalty kill was pretty awful as well. made the worst powerplay in the league (somehow the wings pp isn't in last) look like one of the best

i don't think it's a coincidence that the penalty kill has been bad since miller was injured

Actual Thought*

If this team could play 60 minutes they would be great.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We could really use Pavel bearing down on some of the chances he is getting. I hope he goes on a streak when we hit the road in the New Year. Some of it is just tough puck luck, but he is also slightly off, while never the most accurate he usually does a little better than this.

He had a glorious chance in the high slot to end this game early in the third and just blew it high and wide. Hoping the timing gets back a little more, his 6.5% is bound to go up soon I would think.

Aug 6, 2012
We could really use Pavel bearing down on some of the chances he is getting. I hope he goes on a streak when we hit the road in the New Year. Some of it is just tough puck luck, but he is also slightly off, while never the most accurate he usually does a little better than this.

He had a glorious chance in the high slot to end this game early in the third and just blew it high and wide. Hoping the timing gets back a little more, his 6.5% is bound to go up soon I would think.

Yeah there was one shift where he blew two shots hight and wide by a country mile, had a great view of them. Besides that though he had a masterful game.

Even minus the scoring Datsyuk is just a possession freak no matter who he is playing with. The scoring will come no doubt. Still drool at the idea of Mantha alongside the Magician.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Great 2nd period, rest of the game was okay. Nice to get a EN too. I feel like all these blown leads have gotten in to their heads, you can see it.

Mrazek
Zetterberg
Dekeyser

Great effort from most everyone, actually! The defense looked good for the most part. I haven't seen much talk about it on these boards but the Green-Kronwall pairing have been awful these past games and a big reason to our resent skid, IMO. Green-Kindle doesn't have a nice ring to it, but they really played great together, or at least Green looked good.

I don't like that Blash only plays 3 lines in the 3rd. If he don't trust the fourth line, they need to change the lines. I really hope that Nosek gets to play in the next game, and that Andersson is the scratch. But I'm afraid it's Jurco who gets to sit :(

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If this team could play 60 minutes they would be great.

Hard to do in today's NHL. Opposing teams are going to push, hell you saw the Red Wings do it against Vancouver, and today the Capitals against the Rangers.

If they powerplay wasn't completely awful this game would have seemed a lot more dominant.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Interesting standings in the Atlantic:

Montreal 43p
Boston 42p
Detroit 41p
Florida 40p
Ottawa 39p
Tampa 37p

Not much separation huh? At least we have a game in hand on everyone but Boston. Need to make it count.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Interesting standings in the Atlantic:

Montreal 43p
Boston 42p
Detroit 41p
Florida 40p
Ottawa 39p
Tampa 37p

Not much separation huh? At least we have a game in hand on everyone but Boston. Need to make it count.

Was just about to comment on this. The standings are so tight right now, 3rd in Atlantic and 2 points out of 1st means nothing. If it remains this tight the whole season, it essentially means that the Wings can't afford to go on a cold stretch at any point like they did last year. My concern is the points they dropped early in the season, especially to Boston, might end up biting them in the ass come April.

Actual Thought*

Hard to do in today's NHL. Opposing teams are going to push, hell you saw the Red Wings do it against Vancouver, and today the Capitals against the Rangers.

If they powerplay wasn't completely awful this game would have seemed a lot more dominant.
If the pp wasn't completely awful this season they would be more dominant.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Was just about to comment on this. The standings are so tight right now, 3rd in Atlantic and 2 points out of 1st means nothing. If it remains this tight the whole season, it essentially means that the Wings can't afford to go on a cold stretch at any point like they did last year. My concern is the points they dropped early in the season, especially to Boston, might end up biting them in the ass come April.

Montreal keeps dropping them. And Ottawa will hit a cold streak. Boston is kind of flukey. You can easily see them doing garbage but who knows. Tampa is unknown right now till they go on a terror.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I didnt see the game, but I saw lineups on the facebook red wing page.

why exactly did they call up Nosek and Ouellet?

Since Big E might not have been able to play they just inserted Smith and Kindl? why??

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
GR has like a week off.

Yeah I know, I also read that other thread. Still doesn't make sense to me. Nosek I get because Penalty Killer such and such. Andersson is useless and you can def make room for him.

Still dont get why you call up a dman and dont play him. Especially since hes better then Kindl and Smith (on 85% of the games, heck maybe all of them) as of right now.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I know, I also read that other thread. Still doesn't make sense to me. Nosek I get because Penalty Killer such and such. Andersson is useless and you can def make room for him.

Still dont get why you call up a dman and dont play him. Especially since hes better then Kindl and Smith (on 85% of the games, heck maybe all of them) as of right now.

Nosek was extra if Zetterberg couldn't play. But he was deemed good to go rather early on the game day so it never came in question.

Pretty good game. CGY was there for the taking in the 2nd period, haven't had that much space to work with in the O zone since the Arizona blowout. Glad we took advantage anyway and didn't try to hold onto a one goal lead. Not too many standouts, but many solid performances including Mrazek. We still suck at hitting the net.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Nosek was extra if Zetterberg couldn't play. But he was deemed good to go rather early on the game day so it never came in question.

Pretty good game. CGY was there for the taking in the 2nd period, haven't had that much space to work with in the O zone since the Arizona blowout. Glad we took advantage anyway and didn't try to hold onto a one goal lead. Not too many standouts, but many solid performances including Mrazek. We still suck at hitting the net.

Yeah but why Nosek? If Zetterberg is out. That opens up a top six role. Mantha, AA (injured i think though) even Frk is lighting it up right now.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

I am not sure that Ouellet is an appreciable upgrade over Kindl/Smith.

I don't think he will mind the extra large check that comes along with an NHL game as opposed to the small sum he makes in the AHL since he wasn't doing anything anyway!:yo:

Yeah but why Nosek? If Zetterberg is out. That opens up a top six role. Mantha, AA (injured i think though) even Frk is lighting it up right now.

Frk and Mantha aren't centers. Nosek is.

Last edited:

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe

Grand Rapids played Friday and Saturday, meaning this would have been their third game in three days. They obviously wanted to avoid that. I also think they were pretty sure Z would play, and thats why they didn't call-up somebody for the top six.

Hopefully we get to see Nosek and OX in the next game, with Kindle and Andersson scratched. Even though I thought Kindle had a decent game and I actually wouldn't mind if he gets to play another game.

This was our pairings:
Kronwall-Dekeyser (took the majority of time against Gaudreau & Hudler)
Smith-Marchenko
Kindle-Green (only offensive zone starts)

If Dekeyser can play good on the right side I would like to keep that as our first pairing.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
There could be a human element into why Nosek got the call. His girlfriend is in town so they team may have felt like has should be rewarded with a cup of coffee and doing so now means he can celebrate with his gf. Let's not forget when placed in an offensive role last season he produced rather well. He seems like he is a guy who can slide up and down the lineup and fit in in multiple roles, a la Doug Brown or Dan Cleary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad