Bruins Classics GDT 8:30 PM NESN - GAME 7 2011 ECF - Tampa Bay at BRUINS - THE PERFECT HOCKEY GAME!!!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am watching the Midnight replay again - I was the lead camera for Versus that night and I have no idea how I kept my emotions in check

upload_2020-4-14_1-53-2.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I watched the whole highlight video, and even though I knew how the game ended, I was tense the whole way through. There were so many near-goals on both sides.

By this point, 7 games in, Claude Julien had broken the 1-3-1. The Bruins found the soft spots and had a ton of 2-on-1s and other odd-man rushes. But Roloson was just an immovable object, he could've stolen that series if things went differently. Timmy wasn't tested as much but stood strong on everything thrown his way, and the defense cleared the crease well all night.

On the subject of a pair of 40 year olds: Roloson was 40 but had the hair of a 16 year old. Very impressive moss. As for Recchi, right before Horton scored, he made a clunker of a turnover in the defensive zone that Adam Hall picked up and shot wide. I'm so glad that that didn't result in a goal and that his career didn't end like that. I believe Kaberle got in the way to block that shot, and rewatching this playoff run makes me appreciate Kaberle a little more. He's often forgotten or written off as a deadline bust because he didn't score goals and the PP sucked, but he played solid defense and contributed assists. Can't complain with the end result.

Even though I always think that Bergeron and Marchand didn't become offensive dynamos until Bruce took over and Pasta joined their line, they really show flashes of their future greatness in this game. Bergy made some unbelievable passes across the crease to find Marchand, who got bad wood on one one-timer that could've easily gone in. Marchand also slipped past the defenders to get in alone at one point.

The postgame interviews they showed filled me with both joy and sadness at the same time. First they interview Horton and he really shows how excited he is for the finals, and little did we know he'd only get to play two games. Then they interview Timmy, who seems so happy and grateful, and all I can think of is how he's been struggling in recent years.

That Tampa team was hard to dislike. I would've been upset to lose to them since we were a lot deeper and, frankly, better, but compared to the Habs, Flyers, and especially Canucks, they seemed to be a likeable bunch with guys like St. Louis, Roloson, Gagne, Brewer, etc. Not to mention Stamkos, the warrior. Dude practically had his nose shot off and came back a period later. Steve Downie was a piece of shit though.

My best memory of how I felt that night was that I just couldn't believe the Bruins had made a Stanley Cup Final. They had only been out of the first round twice in the years I'd been watching hockey. But honestly nothing could've prepared any of us for what would happen over the next two weeks.

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My best memory of how I felt that night was that I just couldn't believe the Bruins had made a Stanley Cup Final. They had only been out of the first round twice in the years I'd been watching hockey. But honestly, nothing could've prepared any of us for what would happen over the next two weeks.

The first 2 games in Vancouver were water torture for Bruins fans and the team looked sluggish as Game 3 started in Boston and then this happened

In Vancouver, they saw it this way

I have to admit I was really depressed after Game 5 but I held on to the Scotty Bowman theorem - A team is not in trouble until they lose at home

I can tell you honestly I KNEW they would win Game 7 and I played this song over and over on my flight to Seattle

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I hate the argument that Canuck fans make when they say "Losing Rome was crucial in that series" ...

Isn't losing Nathan f***ing Horton a little more crucial from a talent stand point?

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I hate the argument that Canuck fans make when they say "Losing Rome was crucial in that series" ...

Isn't losing Nathan f***ing Horton a little more crucial from a talent stand point?

Rome was a 7th defenseman. If Hamhuis hadn't broken himself trying to hit Lucic, Rome is in the press box. Canucks fans are good for one thing - Excuses. Pitiful fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad