Pre-Game Talk: 8/11 8:08 PM - ECQF Game 1 - Whalercanes vs BRUINS - NESN, CBC, SN4K, NBCSN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Games 1, 2 and 4 will be on NESN

upload_2020-8-10_15-17-31.png

upload_2020-8-10_15-18-5.png

upload_2020-8-10_15-23-24.png

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hope for the best, expect the worst. How the Bruins D handle the puck vs. the Canes' forecheck is the biggest thing I'm looking at in Game 1. McAvoy, Grzelcyk and Krug will have to be at their best.

Reactions: bbfan419 and lopey

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Kind of bugs me that at least a couple Bruins viewed the round robin as preseason. While I kinda get it on one hand, they don't have 5-10 regular season games to "get up to speed." I'd hope as a veteran team that was one win away from the Cup last year that they can flip the switch in game one. We'll see. Carolina is going to be ready to take it to them after last year.

Starting a fresh batch of cookies now....

4cafddxUW7s5O.gif

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Kind of bugs me that at least a couple Bruins viewed the round robin as preseason. While I kinda get it on one hand, they don't have 5-10 regular season games to "get up to speed." I'd hope as a veteran team that was one win away from the Cup last year that they can flip the switch in game one. We'll see. Carolina is going to be ready to take it to them after last year.

View attachment 359798
Marchand's had a few odd comments about the RTP. He was the only one I saw openly talking about how he thought the games would be sloppy (the cliche answer was like, "yeah it'll take a game or two but these are the best hockey players in the world"), and that he thought teams like Toronto and Tampa would have the advantage as younger teams easing back into it. I appreciate candid/honest answers, but I don't like the idea of players not caring at all about seeding. What were they doing for the entire season then.

Reactions: bbfan419

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

View attachment 359798

Yeah their strategy has been pretty clear and they're going to live or die by it. If they switch on against the Canes and play like the top team in the East again then their gradual, injury-free build up will look inspired, if on the other hand they continue to struggle and get beaten, while a team like Philly that hit the ground running does well, then it'll bite them hard and be rightly condemned as the just product of a misplaced arrogance.

I really don't know what to expect. They're fit and healthy and their best is certainly more than a match for Carolina. Their goaltending and defense are both clearly a cut above. But on the flip side they really legitimately struggled to generate offense in the RR - I'm convinced that was a real problem to at least some extent no matter what Marchy or anyone else says - they still don't know their best middle 6 combo, and their D had an uncomfortable number of uncharacteristic lapses. You can't always go up a gear just because you know it's there, and if they are even 5% off this Canes team is good enough and packing more than ample offensive punch to hurt them quickly.

Game 1 will not the decide the series but I think it will definitely tell us whether the Bruins have actually come to play and are still hungry and a contender for the ultimate success, or whether we should expect an early exit. Naturally hoping for the former but still harboring a suspicion it may be the latter. Such worries aside, still looking forward to it immensely - this has been a long time coming!

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It’s pretty clear based on their play, and on interviews with players, that they weren’t fully engaged in the first four games. And let’s be honest, Brad is basically right. They earned a playoff spot long before any of this started and the advantage to going all out and winning those 3 games (not including the exhibition which literally did mean nothing) seems negligible.

If they can switch it on against Carolina, no one is going to care about them half assing it during the round robin. But if they bow out in the first round...it’s kind of deserved that they take some heat for dogging it.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
The seeding games were not exhibition or life and death . Let's call it like it was . The Bruins including Marchand did not play them like they had no meaning but they also and shouldn't have played them like they were super important .

You saw a lot of puck battles , hits and scraps you wouldn't see vets do in pre season .

I am worried about the Canes but honestly are draw isn't that bad . We wouldve had to win every game to get a slightly better one . Tell me in two weeks how happy tbay is they got Columbus . I really doubt Washington will survive Isles either .

Carolina looked great but honestly it was the rangers . The rangers are not ready yet for big competition. I am not too sure florida was ready to play so I am really not sure what Isles accomplished yet but caps will at the very least be stretched very far . Columbus beat a very very talented team and if we lose to canes we sure as hell wouldve lost to them .

If we get by canes we will likely avoid Columbus/ tbay winner and to me that is a treat .

The problem with Bruins has zero to do with effort or anything since showing up . I personally have posted earlier and still believe we were behind most teams as far as individuals go when this started back up and the Pasta , Kase stuff sure didn't help .

The real bottom line though is the RESULTS of the seeding games did nothing to hurt this teams long term chances . Just to be clear I am worried how we are playing but the seeding doesn't hurt one bit .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad