GDT: 8/11/14 - Carolina @ Washington: Why the internet was cooler 10 years ago edition.

Jerk Newton

5 Nights at Stormy's
Nov 11, 2005
North Carolina
oh for ****s sake. Not that we deserved the win, but such a ****** way to lose.

Fourteen more seconds. I would have had no problem losing in the shootout yet again, but to lose after giving up a ****** rebound like that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Exactly. I'd gladly take a loss in the arbitrary skills competition over a loss like that. Mostly because I don't believe in the shootout as a legitimate way to end a game, never have never will.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm less inclined to blame Khudobin about that particular rebound. That was a slapshot from the circles from OV. I have to imagine it had some heat behind it.

Now if he had fumbled the puck like he did a dozen other times tonight, then I'd be more willing to blame him.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
That was probably the perfect ending to the game. Khudobin giving up terrible rebounds all game and it finally bites him in the ass. We would lost in the shootout anyways.

I hope last year Khudobin is the real Khudobin. This years version is scary bad.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We're at the point in the season now where we have to get points IF we are going to have a shot at the postseason. October did us few favors so if we're playing catch-up we've got to grab all the points we can get. It sucks we lost in OT with little time remaining but we forced OT down 3-1 so I guess I can live with that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Pretty much. The preference would be to not start games like we have the past two. But, if we do, at least the team is showing the ability to get points out of those kind of games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pretty much. The preference would be to not start games like we have the past two. But, if we do, at least the team is showing the ability to get points out of those kind of games.

Good teams have a tendency to do that.

Of course, in this division, Panthering our way in won't work.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Michael Smith @MSmithCanes · 16m 16 minutes ago

#Canes third goal credited to Elias Lindholm, his 5th. He's got 5 goals and 2 assists (7 points) in a five-game point streak.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Nice D Eric.

That was epic defense by Staal.

Watching that play again, while it wasn't great D by Eric by any stretch, it's a bit hard to fault him much either. Fehr was coming in from the blue line and Bellemore turns it over where Staal then needs to stop and change direction to go after the puck. Once he had to stop, he was done because Fehr, who has all the momentum is coming the other way and gets the puck first and then just keeps going. Granted, after that happened, Eric just stood there, but even if he had busted ass in that situation, there's no way he's catching Fehr who had all the momentum and it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Now, maybe you could say that he should have been more aware of Fehr coming behind him and that he should have tried to do more to stop Fehr, although not sure what he could have done in that case since it looks to me like he clearly thought Bellemore was sending it behind the net as Staal was drifting away from the boards in that direction in anticipation of that when suddenly Bellemore makes an idiotic no look drop pass like that. He quickly pivots and when Fehr has the momentum, he's stuck in no-mans land.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What a weird game though of bounces tonight. First goal Dwyer bats into the net. Then a weird bounce off the glass gives them a wide open shot which Anton saves. 2nd goal bounces off the wall then gets banked off of Anton. Then the 3rd goal goes off of Bellemore. Khudobin made some fantastic saves to keep the team in the game, but he was fighting the puck more than I think I ever have seen (rebounds, ability to cover it up, etc...) Looked like he had 10 cups of coffee before the game or something, because he looked pretty chaotic in those situations.

All in all though, coming back and getting a point out of a game when you are out shot something like 20-3 in the first period shows some resiliency, which honestly, we haven't really seen from this team in past years.

And don't want to jinx it, but Faulk looks like a completely different player (both offensively and defensively) than he was before he injured his face.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
my quick take is that they are lucky to fly out of DC with any points at all.

I'm not sure if they fought back or if the Caps laid an egg after getting the lead. Khudobin was shaky but if it weren't for him early on, they would have probably been in a hole too deep to dig out of.

no one played particularly well IMO.

top line isn't clicking.

still early and team is a work in progress....but seems to be trending in the right direction so far.

EDIT: the worst part about watching the Canes play is listening to Tripp Tracy AINEC.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Watching that play again, while it wasn't great D by Eric by any stretch, it's a bit hard to fault him much either. Fehr was coming in from the blue line and Bellemore turns it over where Staal then needs to stop and change direction to go after the puck. Once he had to stop, he was done because Fehr, who has all the momentum is coming the other way and gets the puck first and then just keeps going. Granted, after that happened, Eric just stood there, but even if he had busted ass in that situation, there's no way he's catching Fehr who had all the momentum and it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Now, maybe you could say that he should have been more aware of Fehr coming behind him and that he should have tried to do more to stop Fehr, although not sure what he could have done in that case since it looks to me like he clearly thought Bellemore was sending it behind the net as Staal was drifting away from the boards in that direction in anticipation of that when suddenly Bellemore makes an idiotic no look drop pass like that. He quickly pivots and when Fehr has the momentum, he's stuck in no-mans land.

Yeah, no way staal catches Fehr there beacuse he was already going. But Staal's body language was so bad there.

Not what you need from a captain.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
That was probably the perfect ending to the game. Khudobin giving up terrible rebounds all game and it finally bites him in the ass. We would lost in the shootout anyways.

I hope last year Khudobin is the real Khudobin. This years version is scary bad.

Ironically this version of Khudobin reminds me a lot of Justin Peters with his rebound control.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, it wasn't necessarily the most fun game to be at until we came back, but still pretty sweet that we got a point all things considered. I was in the corner about 12 rows up behind the net where the Canes scored all their goals, so that was nice. One guy a few rows up was so pissed when the Canes tied it that he raged out and left with his wife/gf/whoever. That was pretty funny. Not that it's news to anyone, but the OT goal was on my end too, and while I hated the rebound, that Ovechkin shot seemed to have some serious sauce on it.

Khudobin definitely didn't play great, but he could have had a better outcome with some less crappy bounces. He still has a long way to go to get even close to last year of course. Hopefully he finds it, but he still hasn't had as good of a total game played in front of him as Ward yet.

People keep mentioning the top line getting hot. They need to figure out what the top line is going to be, because TEA isn't it to me. I wish they'd stop even trying that combo for now. I don't care about the past awesome chemistry. At least there are occasional sparks with Skinner there, but still nothing special. It really would be nice to see some of the top players get hot in combination with some of our depth players playing pretty damn well this year.

Definitely glad to see Faulk rounding back into form slowly after the rough start. I bought a Faulk road jersey at the home opener. I got to wear it last weekend to the Phoenix and LA games, and last night, so it's 2-0-1 at live games as far as silly superstitions go.

Would have been nice to pick up the win, but I am happy to get a point after those first two periods, and I ain't even mad about how the game ended.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Did no one watch Khudobin play last year? He was terrible at absorbing and covering pucks, but his stick was much quicker so he got away with it more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad