7th Player Award

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Smith and it's not really close, IMO. Nobody expected him to be close to what he has been. Krug is second, but we got a big glimpse of his game back in last year's playoffs, so it isn't as big of a stretch to say what he's doing isn't a surprise.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
No brainer........Smith! Kruger isn't a surprise since we seen what he is capable of. Johnson? Meh. Nobody seen Smith making this impact. This award is starting to become a popularity award.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It should 100% be Smith IMO. At least with Krug, we saw him breakout a bit in the playoffs, but we had no idea how good Smith would be. Miller should definitely get some attention as well, but he won't. It'll be a two-horse race between Smith and Krug, and I think the fans would probably go with Krug.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
who should it be? smith. who will it probably be? krug.

Yup. Krug's getting all the publicity on the radio/for the more laymen. One of my friends isn't a big hockey fan but he's sports-knowledgeable and a big boston (in general) fan. He knows all about Krug but is borderline unaware of Smith and what he's done. He still considers the Seguin trade for Eriksson and leaves out the other pieces.

Same kind of guy that thinks Seguin is the same guy he is currently in Dallas if he stayed in Boston.

ytownhockey10

tornado of souls
Mar 8, 2010
in the salt
can anybody actually picture this mug behind the wheel of a kia?

kevan_miller_boston.jpg

it has to be smitty. has to be. :laugh:

Uli Kunkel

Feb 8, 2014
Chad might have a shot if Tuukka continues to get pulled. I like when Jack screws up by calling the former Thomas.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
This is R.Smith's award....unless he struggles in the 2nd half of the season.

Mind you if Marchand continues to score at a rapid pace and hits over 35 goals, I'd make a case for him too.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
They're great cars for the first 18-24 months.. until the entire undercarriage rots and the engine falls through. :laugh:

they're fun to beat the snot of as rentals, too. :laugh:

arguments can be made for a variety of players here. I like Smith, but wouldn't scoff if Miller or even Bart got it.

Chad Johnson has gotten better this season. I thought his lateral movement flat out sucked at the beginning of the year but it has been better as of late (I think his rebound control is still shaky and resetting could use work, too) but I think he's giving us what we expected for a sub million backup goalie.

To me this is the expectation award and exceeding them.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I got to admit that Smith has gone far beyond my expectations, but I'd still give it to Krug. Regardless of how well he did in last year's P/O, Krug was still an unknown entering this season. A rookie with one season of pro hockey prior to this one to his credit. Guy was an undrafted, undersized Dman when he exploded onto the scene in the P/O. Smith had already played 40 games in the NHL when he came here, which is still amazing when you think about what Smith has done since. Cant believe how lucky we've been with these two players. I'll be just as happy if Smith wins it, but Krug is my pick :yo: Maybe its because the Bs haven't had someone like Krug since Bourque.

Like others mentioned: Bartkowski & Soderberg deserve it as well.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This is R.Smith's award....unless he struggles in the 2nd half of the season.

Mind you if Marchand continues to score at a rapid pace and hits over 35 goals, I'd make a case for him too.

Some of the "marry me Seguin" girls have transfered their love to Marchy.

There are a number of decent choices but Smith wins in my book.

BMC...Danny P. should have won last year.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
My reasons:

1. Reilly Smith
- Really, NO ONE expected this from the guy who was essentially a throw-in with some potential. He's one goal behind Marchand for the team lead. A mucker with a nose for the net. Guy's been more than anyone could've hoped for. Nick who?

2. Chad Johnson
- I thought there'd be more talk about this guy. When he was signed everybody said, "Who? Is Chia serious?" Well he's putting up career numbers [11-3-0 / 2.13 / .924 / 1 SO] and for the short-term a very cap- friendly nobody who's alleviating any fears about Rask's inconsistencies, (don't get me started).

3. Kevan Miller
- With limited abilities at this level, he's proven to be a through-and-through team guy who won't hurt you with silly mistakes. He can hit, play a smart game and is willing to drop them for his teammates. He had me when he stepped into the face-off circle when some idiot started jousting with Marchand to drop them and go.

4. Torey Krug
- He'll probably win it because well, he's Tory Krug.....everybody loves an under-sized underdog. But we all knew he had the ability to jumpstart the offense from the blue-line so it's not like he's the out-of-nowhere second coming of Greg Hawgood. He also hits pretty good for a little guy too....

5. Matt Bartkowski
- There was plenty of drum beatings about how he was over his head and should be trade fodder. But quite frankly he's turning into a pretty good middle pairing guy.

6. Carl Soderberg
- The Yeti hasn't been the scoring machine that so many people expected. But he has adapted quite nicely to the North American game and is a fairly gritty presence with a soft touch around the net when he gets the chance. Points for 7th Player because of his willingness to turn himself into a solid two-way player.

- Someone mentioned Johnny Boychuk. He should definitely be given honorable mentions for stepping into Seidenberg's spot. I thought he was having a career year before he got hurt and would be limited when he got back. But he's more than proven that despite losing Shut-Down Seidenberg, we do have a shot at the Cup if he continues to play as effectively as he has.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Some of the "marry me Seguin" girls have transfered their love to Marchy.

There are a number of decent choices but Smith wins in my book.

BMC...Danny P. should have won last year.

Yes he should have. I was not a happy camper when Seguin won.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yes he should have. I was not a happy camper when Seguin won.

To be fair I think Tyler was embarrassed and knew that award wasn't for him. Not really his fault all of the "marry me Seguin " girls stuffed the box.

The "fans" don't always get it right. To me Danny P. was the choice for last year...

There are a few that would be good this year but I still think Smith should win.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Smith...I can see an argument for Krug and Miller, but in terms of the definition of the award, Smith has definitely exceeded expectations.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If Caron scores a goal at some point in the rest of the season then I would give it to him since that would definitely be performing "above and beyond expectations."

If that does not happen then I would give it to Smith, with nobody else even close. I, and most others, expected Krug to be good, so I don't see how he should get it. Actually, Krug has been a little disappointing on the defensive end and in the neutral zone at times. His turnovers and missed assignments are a result of his greenness so I give him a pass. The kid's defense will catch up to his excellent offensive game in due time. Miller has been solid but he is nowhere near the level of Smith when it comes to going above and beyond. Smith has been a pure surprise in terms of his production. In a distant second place I would vote for Yeti. His physicality and smarts have been very impressive to me. After that I would go with Miller and an underrated but solid Bart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad