7th Player Award meaning changed?

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Kelly is the only one of the bunch that fits the criteria and has played regularly.

Just saying that makes me realize how much this group as a whole and these players as individuals have underperformed.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Pastrnak is the youngest player in the AHL and NHL this year. He is certainly going above and beyond.

Bergeron, Marchand, and Eriksson are the only forwards I consider being good enough other than Pastrnak and we expect this from them all.

Although Marchand was a star last night.

For defense... Krug? I can't think of a single defenseman deserving it.

Rask? He makes $7,000,000. He's going to need a 20 shutout season to overachieve.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I know the 7th Player Award seems to have lost it's meaning years ago anyway (based on some of the winners) but I noticed during the game coverage on NESN the last few games, Dale says "vote for the player that has gone above and beyond" and when Brick does the spot later, he says "above and beyond expectations". Now most of us know the latter is what is used to be about/is supposed to be for but I now wonder if the former is what a lot of the fans are hearing and therefore casting their vote on based on Dale's wording?

As far as I'm concerned they might as well just change it to a regular MVP award and be done with the controversy that comes up every year someone gets it that shouldn't based on the original criteria. Did they feel silly saying the original criteria when they knew no one was exceeding expectations this year and felt the need to change it on their own?

Hmm. I prefer to stick with above and beyond expectations, and in this long, dreary season, hands down it's the new David on the block.

If it were straight up MVP, Patrice, Z, or Tuukka might get a bit tired of accepting the award. :)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
For me, I think the spirit of the "7th Player" precludes anyone who's currently considered to be in the core - Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, Rask - from getting it. Expectations should be high for them, and exceeding them should be virtually impossible. The exception I might make would be if one of them had some inspirational comeback story - injured/sick at the start of the season, and then comes back and REALLY takes off.

But, yes, Twitter has diluted the meaning of the 7th player. As long as fifteen year-old girls have thumbs, that's how it's going to be.

I do have to say that I agree with Pastrnak this year. When he was drafted, my expectations were: Goes back to Sweden, becomes Carl Jr., and comes back in a year or two. When he started training camp, my expectations were: Plays in the AHL and maybe gets called up for a game or two. When he was injured by Miller, my expectations were: Maybe he stays in the AHL for a year so he can get some experience learning The System (TM, Patent Pending) and so he can get some weight on him. When he was called up, my expectations were: 9 games and bye-bye, but hope for an explosion next year.

I think each moment, he exceeded my expectations. To me, it doesn't HAVE to be a rookie in his first or second NHL year - Kelly, Campbell, Paille, even Marchand are players to consider. But Pastrnak's floor was set so low, and ceiling has risen so high, that I'd have to give it to him. He's the only Bruin to get a Pasta Trick (4 goals in 2 consecutive games) this year. And he's looking like he WILL be a core player in the future - or at least like he has a damn good shot at it.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Pasta definitely. Who thought he would even sniff the NHL this year at the draft in June? Two years away I thought, but he certainly exceeded my expectations.

Everyone else either met or didn't meet expectations.

ronwm

Aug 4, 2010
(South of) Boston
Was watching with a friend the other night and when the 7th Player award was mentioned he turned to me and said "If only we could give it to Boychuk"......

....I wasn't really sure what to say to that.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I cannot name one player besides Pasta that has played above expectations.

27 games or not, the rest of the team has either been average or below average. He'll win the popularity contest and he does deserve it.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
This is one of the few years I don't have to worry about it...just give it to Pasta now...even the know-nothings can't screw this one up...

And no, I don't think the award has changed...just a bad reading...

Oh, and if Seguin was still here how many years in a row would he win it? Lol. They would have to take him off the ballot. Marry me Seguin! Heh

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I cannot name one player besides Pasta that has played above expectations.

27 games or not, the rest of the team has either been average or below average. He'll win the popularity contest and he does deserve it.

Agreed 100%, he hasn't only stepped in and score a few goals but some of them were beauty's and he's thrown a few checks in.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have my own definition and thats all's that matters to me.

Who has played above what I expected? hmm....Pastrnak certainly

Kelly has been good to very good for where he is at.

Marchand has had a heck of a year but cant give it to him.

no body other than Pasta to me....and if the rule is 40 games or more I give it to Kelly. He's done everything but put shots in near open nets.

Brad has gone above and beyond .

I would guess that Pasta will win.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I thought the yeti was in line for it, but his production fell off the face of the mountain.

Pasta will win it.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Pasta for sure. If he played in Boston the whole season, he'd be top 3 on the team in points and probably top 5 in rookie scoring. I don't know why he went as late as he did in the draft, but I'm glad we got him.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
has to be Pasta. I can't think of any other player that played this season above what was expected of them except maybe the recent play by spooner but Pasta is ahead of him on the chart.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Brad has gone above and beyond .

I would guess that Pasta will win.

MArchand has 39 pts in 71 games. Am I the only one that finds this stat line underwhelming and certainly not "above and beyond" what was expected? Yes he is not as bad as most of the others, but not by that wide a margin.

I wouldn't award it this year.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Campbell? :sarcasm:

I think like most have said, it's hard to pick anyone else over Pasta, even with the amount of games played.

I actually think my next pick might be Krug. I think he's had a pretty great year for how the teams been this season, and really helped in the transformation of our PP.

OutspokenMinority*

clearly pasta. i think the marchand suggestion is a head scratcher. and somebody said kelly? tf?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Lets face it 99% of the team has underperformed…but you gotta give the award so my top 2 are:
1. Pasta
2. Bob Essensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad