Post-Game Talk: #79 | Flyers at Canadiens | April 9, 2024 | Loss

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Turned the game off at 3-0 figured they were gonna lose. Must say surprised it turned into a 9-3 drubbing. Torts answering the presser was also shocking.

Well get ready for nothing to change. Looking forward to the same gdts and same types of discussions next year. Raise the mediocre banner!

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Yeah it's the goalies fault when they don't play defense in front of him
One cause for concern is Sandstrum, Errson and Fedotov were all drafted by the Flyers. The Flyers seem to spend a lot of draft capital on goalies (as witnessed by last draft), but they do not seem to be very good at evaluating goalies, or any other players for that matter. I guess that is a byproduct of having a goon run your scouting...

They’re too beholden to their past. So you’re likely never going to get a real break away from it. We have to keep everything in the family & they’ll never hire someone outside their network. So you’re gonna get people who continue do things the same way because that’s the way it’s always been.
And one of those things is losing, in grand boring fashion....

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
One cause for concern is Sandstrum, Errson and Fedotov were all drafted by the Flyers. The Flyers seem to spend a lot of draft capital on goalies (as witnessed by last draft), but they do not seem to be very good at evaluating goalies, or any other players for that matter. I guess that is a byproduct of having a goon run your scouting...
Jesus Christ I just scrolled through flyers hockey ops personnel and it's even more pathetic list of than I expected. Top to bottom its hockey yes men echo chamber. Also we get to employ services of Dany Heatley in our pro scouting department.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That was a pretty serious wallop. I didn't watch, but they've obviously hit rock bottom.

It's all just part of the full experience of being a Flyer, apparently.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
A Flyers jersey on the ice in a road game. That's a new low.
1712754405092.jpeg

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
On observation and one quesion....

Stall appears to fall down alot, or is this my imagination?

Why does Frost play net front on the PP and not half-wall? Frost is neither big nor adept at deflections (literally the opposite of JVR), but he seems to be very good where there is a little more space on the half-wall, where he is able to utilize his puck and passing skills. Is that Tottorella not wanting him to succeed or insisteing on putting a square peg in a round hole because that is what he wants.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Why does Frost play net front on the PP and not half-wall? Frost is neither big nor adept at deflections (literally the opposite of JVR), but he seems to be very good where there is a little more space on the half-wall, where he is able to utilize his puck and passing skills. Is that Tottorella not wanting him to succeed or insisteing on putting a square peg in a round hole because that is what he wants.
Because it seems that the coaches want to use people somewhere and make them adapt to the demand of that place rather than use people where they are best and make the design work for that.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
On observation and one quesion....

Stall appears to fall down alot, or is this my imagination?

I actually have come to think that Staal actually has a bit more mobility than I originally anticipated. He still moves decently for an older/bigger/stay-at-home style d-man. All in all, he hasn't been terrible for his role as a 7 dman.

When it comes to the PP as a whole -- the simple answer is the coaching staff has an antiquated view on the power play. They have been trying to get a 'shooter' on the half wall for the last few seasons. This goes back to when Chuck first said it a few years ago, and Rocky referenced it during a post-game presser about a month ago. They don't prioritize passing the puck to the middle of the ice for shots, they prioritize getting the puck on net from out wide and banging in a rebound. The problem is they put guys like Laughton and Tippett on the half walls. Both of these players have difficulty even getting their body turned to face the middle of the ice. This PP staff is lost, they have no idea what makes power plays successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad