Post-Game Talk: #78: Flyers at Penguins, Sunday, April 3, 2016; MacDonald injury updated

Steelburgh

Mar 16, 2009
Wpa is known for whining even when winning

If we didn't do that, we'd never have any time to whine. ;)

Btw, I was happy to see how much real hockey knowledge was displayed in your gdt alongside the typical ref grousing you see in every team's gdts. I can't like you guys as Flyers fans (it's a moral imperative) but I can respect you as a fellow hockey fan. Good luck next weekend and hope to see you in a month!

PS: Pens were on a back-to-back too.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007

Btw, I was happy to see how much real hockey knowledge was displayed in your gdt alongside the typical ref grousing you see in every team's gdts. I can't like you guys as Flyers fans (it's a moral imperative) but I can respect you as a fellow hockey fan. Good luck next weekend and hope to see you in a month!

PS: Pens were on a back-to-back too.

Classy post. Hate your team. It used to be because of some of the trash players that were employed there (and yes, same could be said about the Flyers), but nice to see that has changed and you have a really good team- so I guess it would be jealousy. We will be where your team is soon and it will be allot of fun to see the battles. Good luck in the playoffs and see you next year! :handclap:

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada

Btw, I was happy to see how much real hockey knowledge was displayed in your gdt alongside the typical ref grousing you see in every team's gdts. I can't like you guys as Flyers fans (it's a moral imperative) but I can respect you as a fellow hockey fan.

It has always been my belief that even the staunches of rival fans would get along just fine one on one. It is the group mentality on message boards and stadiums that causes everyone to foam at the mouth :)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You know you had a rough day when Brandon Manning played over 20 minutes, that was only the third time in the 52 games played for Manning this year that went over that mark. The Flyers were 0-2-1 in those games. :laugh:

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
The whole boxing players out in the offensive zone thing the Pens were doing all game seemed an awful lot like interference to me? Anyone else? Looked a lot like pre lockout hockey to me... are we really going back that far now?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The whole boxing players out in the offensive zone thing the Pens were doing all game seemed an awful lot like interference to me? Anyone else? Looked a lot like pre lockout hockey to me... are we really going back that far now?

The interference in the NHL is now worse than prelockout levels. Add in the increased propensity to block shots and you get the product we have today.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
You know you had a rough day when Brandon Manning played over 20 minutes, that was only the third time in the 52 games played for Manning this year that went over that mark. The Flyers were 0-2-1 in those games. :laugh:

Once again, everyone's favorite player to hate is wrongly put down. Manning and Gudas have played very well together. I could actually see them going into next season as our third D pair. I watched both of the goals Manning was on the ice for yesterday, and neither was his fault. Yes, he was pinching on the first, but the Flyers had two guys back during the rush and they blew it. On the second one, Manning was covering his man, but he just laid out on the ice and made a fantastic play.

I may be over-the-top in supporting him(sometimes), but the hate for him is over-the-top as well. He's not playing that badly overall since being paired with Gudas, and I would say the advanced numbers and the eye test prove it.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Everyone should read this morning observation from Charlie O'Connor at Broad Street Hockey:

"There were a few obvious gaffes, but the pairing of Brandon Manning and Radko Gudas continues to be the Flyers' best in terms of driving possession. Manning had a team-high 63.45% Corsi, while Gudas was close behind at 61.9%. Gudas' failed attempt to change direction on a quick Pittsburgh counterattack may stick in the minds of viewers, but despite occasional errors, that pairing was strong in two areas -- neutral zone disruption and withstanding the Penguins' forecheck. On the rare occasions when Philadelphia was able to rapidly move the puck up ice, it was usually because one of Gudas or Manning either broke up a pass in the center of the ice or retrieved a dump-in and quickly got the puck to a Flyers forward. Both defensemen received over 19 minutes of five-on-five ice time in this one, so Dave Hakstol seemed to notice their strong play."

Case closed and goodnight.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Once again, everyone's favorite player to hate is wrongly put down. Manning and Gudas have played very well together. I could actually see them going into next season as our third D pair. I watched both of the goals Manning was on the ice for yesterday, and neither was his fault. Yes, he was pinching on the first, but the Flyers had two guys back during the rush and they blew it. On the second one, Manning was covering his man, but he just laid out on the ice and made a fantastic play.

I may be over-the-top in supporting him(sometimes), but the hate for him is over-the-top as well. He's not playing that badly overall since being paired with Gudas, and I would say the advanced numbers and the eye test prove it.

He's played well as of late. But you have no credibility when it comes to him. He was the worst player in the NHL at certain points this season and you were here after every game, blowing the guy. Every Flyer fan would love to see him play well as he is right now, but you can't come here saying I told you so, because he was abysmal. Next season he will be behind MDZ, Ghost, Provorov, and Gudas. Assuming Striet, Schultz, and MaCdonald are still here, which is likely, he will be behind them too. He will be Phantom, 7th Dman or elsewhere next season.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Good lord, Manning destroyed offensive zone time into dzone time all on his own a few times last night, leading directly to a goal. Guy can't get a shot through the winger covering him even if the guy is just standing still.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gudas has great possession numbers with every dman he's played regularly with. That's how gud he is.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
I guess MacDonald threw himself headfirst into the boards according to some Pens bloggers. Ah, to aspire to be Lowell MacDonald Jr.......

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He fell, but that just meant his head hit the boards instead of the glass.

It's the same **** we got out of the Caps homers when Wilson blasted Schenn a few years ago. They blamed it on Schenn turning, but Schenn turning just changed the angle at which he went flying to the boards. The speed Wilson built up charging from his own bench to the end boards meant Schenn was always going to go flying.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Hakstol will give the 4th line + Manning more minutes.

It's like he turns a blind eye to any mistakes they make.

This game was not lost by Manning and the 4th line. The top three lines were dominated just the same. The Penguins are an elite team on a roll right now, whereas the Flyers are merely a mediocre team that's been on a roll as well.

The Penguins have been a bad matchup for us all season, this was the outcome I expected.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Hak line got hardly any ES minutes yesterday.

Bellemare - 9:18
White - 8:38
VdV - 8:31

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Somehow the Pens have turned it around and now own the Flyers.

Can't really put a finger on it... might be better Coaching and system or just flipping a mental switch. It's a tough pill to swallow though.

teams with tons of speed have been exposing this teams weaknesses for 2 years at least now. Pittsburgh realized that and went out and added speed to the bottom 6.
we dont need to get bigger, tougher and slower.
they need to add speed to this group. both up front and on the back end. Yeah there are a few guys who can skate but not enough IMO.
If it wasnt for Mason the Flyers would already be making post season plans.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Rutherford should seriously consider trading Malkin at this point. That team always seems to be better when one of the Big 2 is out of the lineup and the other can be the go-to guy.
He probably won't do it because he's not a good GM, but it would help them in so many ways.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I love that quoting someone at BSH means it is devastating evidence.

I'm not bashing them -- on the contrary -- it is solely the idea that because it came from BSH "case closed and good night."

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love that quoting someone at BSH means it is devastating evidence.

I'm not bashing them -- on the contrary -- it is solely the idea that because it came from BSH "case closed and good night."

Carle is still playing as well as Suter, right? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad