76 Team vs. 87 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
To me the two best international teams of all time are the Candian teams of '76 and '87. Both won their respective Canada Cups and both are very deserving to be compared to. The '87 team beat what many say is the best Russian team ever assembled (although the '79-81 Russians would beat them), and as for the '76 team they did very well too. They beat Finland 11-2 and the runner up Czechs 6-0 and 5-4 in OT. They are the two best teams ever INO followed by the 1979-81 Russians. Forwards have their stats form that NHL season. Defenseman and goalies are rated by who was the best at that time.

1976 Team 1987 team
Forwards Forwards

Guy Lafleur 50 69 125 Wayne Gretzky 62 121 183
Bobby Clarke 30 89 119 Mario Lemieux 54 53 107
Gil Perreault 44 69 113 Mark Messier 37 70 107
Bill Barber 50 62 112 Doug Gilmour 42 63 105
Pete Mahovlich 34 71 105 Dale Hawerchuk 47 53 100
Darryl Sittler 41 59 100 Michel Goulet 49 47 96
Marcel Dionne 40 54 94 Kevin Dineen 40 39 79
Lanny McDonald 37 56 93 Mike Gartner 41 32 73
Reggie Leach 61 30 91 Glenn Anderson 35 38 73
Rick Martin 49 37 86 Brian Propp 31 36 67
Phil Esposito 35 48 83 Brent Sutter 27 36 63
Steve Shutt 45 34 79 Claude Lemieux 27 26 53
Danny Gare 50 23 73 Rick Tocchet 21 28 49
Bob Gainey 15 13 28
Bobby Hull WHA STATS

Defensemen

Bobby Orr Ray Bourque
Denis Potvin Paul Coffey
Guy Lapointe Larry Murphy
Serge Savard Craig Hartsburg
Larry Robinson James Patrick
Jimmy Watson Norman Rochefort
Doug Crossman

Goalies

Rogie Vachon Grant Fuhr
Gerry Cheevers Ron Hextall
Glenn Resch Kelly Hrudey

Pretty impressive eh? I was just thinking notable ommissions on that '76 team are Brad Park and Rene Robert. Wonder why they werent picked or maybe injured? The '87 team actually cut Yzerman and Roy? :dunno: But like it matters now.

Forwards: Its hard to believe that any team would actually beat #99 and #66 near their primes but if you look at the '87 team there is a big talent drop off after the first 6 or 7. Take the '76 team and you see that every single player put up big points that year, other than the defensive minded Gainey. Gretz, Lemieux and Messier are the best of the three no question and they beat out '76 Lafleur, Perreault and Clarke. But look at how deep the '76 forwards are. Yes Lemieux and Gretzky are better than anyone on '76 but after that they dont compare to '76. Keep in mind Lafleur was no slouch himself. He was very capable of winning a game on his own. And if he didnt than who is stopping Perreault? Or Sittler? Or Dionne? Or Leach? To me '76 is too deep.

Defence: This should be a no brainer. Orr was still the best in that tourny. He was injured all year but still won the MVP in the Canada Cup. Potvin was right behind him. And after that Lapointe was the next best. Compare that to Bourque, Coffey and Murphy and the winner goes to '76. Throw in Savard and Robinson vs. Hartsburg and Patrick and its no contest.

Goal: Vachon was no slouch in net either. IMO he's the best player not in the HOF, and that included before Neely got in. But Fuhr was in his prime right then. He was fresh off his third Cup and a year before his own Vezina Trophy. Plus the way he played in the Canada Cup was brilliant. Vachon shone very well too, but if you had to bet the farm on a goalie to perform in the clutch than Fuhr is your man. Dont beleive me than just watch Game 2 of the '87 Canada Cup final. If either the injured Dryden or Parent were in there then its a different story but they werent so I'll take Fuhr.

So in conclusion here's my take. The '76 team had a much more superior defence and a much more balanced forward attack. The top six forwards between the two teams are in order: Gretzky, Lemieux, Lafleur, Messier, Clarke, Perreault. So top end the '87 team is better but on the bottom end you'd have to say that Steve Shutt could score more than Claude Lemieux. And the '76 team has 17 Hall of Famers while the '87 team has 10 (assuming Messier and Gilmour are in). Both teams had a LOT of guys in their primes but to me '76 is just too deep. I dont see any team in the history beating the 1976 Canada Cup team.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I'd say that your analyses is right on. There will never be another team like the 1976 team and that was with Orr playing on one leg. I agree that Gretzky & Lemieux were tough to match but the number of Hall of Fame players on that 1976 team is astounding. They also had set lines like the Clarke-Barber-Leach, Shutt-Mahovlich-Lafleur

Big Phil said:
To me the two best international teams of all time are the Candian teams of '76 and '87. Both won their respective Canada Cups and both are very deserving to be compared to. The '87 team beat what many say is the best Russian team ever assembled (although the '79-81 Russians would beat them), and as for the '76 team they did very well too. They beat Finland 11-2 and the runner up Czechs 6-0 and 5-4 in OT. They are the two best teams ever INO followed by the 1979-81 Russians. Forwards have their stats form that NHL season. Defenseman and goalies are rated by who was the best at that time.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I must be tired - I hit the wrong key and it sent the post before I was finished.

Rene Robert was cut from the team after training camp and Brad Park was hurt, as was Dryden.

The defence was the strong point of course with Orr, Potvin and the 'Big 3' of Lapointe, Savard and Robinson.

The only thing is that the Russians didn't send their best team.

After the series, when Orr was named the best player, Denis Potvin wrote an ill-advised article saying that he, instead of Orr, was the best player. That didn't go over too well.

Right now, the DVD set of the 1976 Series is on. But I want to wait until its in production before I let you know for sure. They are still analysing the quality of the tapes.

ClassicHockey said:
I'd say that your analyses is right on. There will never be another team like the 1976 team and that was with Orr playing on one leg. I agree that Gretzky & Lemieux were tough to match but the number of Hall of Fame players on that 1976 team is astounding. They also had set lines like the Clarke-Barber-Leach, Shutt-Mahovlich-Lafleur

Big Phil said:

KOVALEV10*

Both teams were magnificent. But defensively and offensively the 76 team was better. Goaltending wise the 87 team was better.

Lafleur in 76 was the best forward in the world. He was as clutch as I have ever seen anybody be in the playoffs from 75-76 to 78-79 where he lead his team to 4 cups. The 87 team had Wayne and Mario who were also incredible clutch players. And the thing that makes that duo better then Lafleur's do is that both Lemieux and Gretzky could make incredible plays and finish them. Lafleur did it but no other forward on that team could do it to the level of Lemieux or Gretzky.

Long story short Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin and the Big three would smoke the defense the 87 team had.

All in all I'll give the edge to the 77 team but not by much as they were both two of the greatest teams ever assembled.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I don't have the sources, but the reports I read at the time indicated that Potvin later clarified his stance, admitting that he thought giving the MVP to Orr was a PR move but saying that he wasn't touting himself as much as he was saying there were a few players who deserved it more.
Having watched the series, I tended to see Potvin's point, as Orr was clearly on his last legs ... still brilliant but nowhere near the skater he had been only two seasons prior.
The funny thing is Orr never begrudged Potvin the right to be his own man and speak his own mind, especially when Potvin was a kid breaking in when Orr was still the best player in the game.
I agree that the '76 defense corps is unmatchable, but the '87 group is pretty awesome as well. I also think the '87 forwards have more depth than the credit they're getting here. A lot of good role players and grit. Tocchet circa '87 can play on my team any day.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
I must be tired - I hit the wrong key and it sent the post before I was finished.

Rene Robert was cut from the team after training camp and Brad Park was hurt, as was Dryden.

The defence was the strong point of course with Orr, Potvin and the 'Big 3' of Lapointe, Savard and Robinson.

The only thing is that the Russians didn't send their best team.

After the series, when Orr was named the best player, Denis Potvin wrote an ill-advised article saying that he, instead of Orr, was the best player. That didn't go over too well.

Right now, the DVD set of the 1976 Series is on. But I want to wait until its in production before I let you know for sure. They are still analysing the quality of the tapes.

Don Cherry once mentioned on HNIC years later how much he hated seeing Rene Robert get cut, because he was such a great player, but there simply wasn`t any room for him. An article I saw from `76 that named the original training camp invitees listed the four goalies as: Dryden, Parent, Cheevers and Resch. After Dryden and Parent were unavailable they invited Dan Bouchard and Rogie Vachon. Makes you wonder what might have happened without Vachon. It was strange that Orr was the tournament MVP while Vachon was the Canada MVP.

One difference between `76 and `72 was that WHA players were invited to try out; they were Bobby Hull,who made the team, Paul Smyhr, who was cut, and Marc Tardif who couldn`t go because he was still suffering from the infamous Jodzio incident a few months earlier.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:

1976 Team 1987 team
Forwards Forwards

Guy Lafleur 50 69 125 Wayne Gretzky 62 121 183
Bobby Clarke 30 89 119 Mario Lemieux 54 53 107
Gil Perreault 44 69 113 Mark Messier 37 70 107
Bill Barber 50 62 112 Doug Gilmour 42 63 105
Pete Mahovlich 34 71 105 Dale Hawerchuk 47 53 100
Darryl Sittler 41 59 100 Michel Goulet 49 47 96
Marcel Dionne 40 54 94 Kevin Dineen 40 39 79
Lanny McDonald 37 56 93 Mike Gartner 41 32 73
Reggie Leach 61 30 91 Glenn Anderson 35 38 73
Rick Martin 49 37 86 Brian Propp 31 36 67
Phil Esposito 35 48 83 Brent Sutter 27 36 63
Steve Shutt 45 34 79 Claude Lemieux 27 26 53
Danny Gare 50 23 73 Rick Tocchet 21 28 49
Bob Gainey 15 13 28
Bobby Hull WHA STATS

Defensemen

Bobby Orr Ray Bourque
Denis Potvin Paul Coffey
Guy Lapointe Larry Murphy
Serge Savard Craig Hartsburg
Larry Robinson James Patrick
Jimmy Watson Norman Rochefort
Doug Crossman

Goalies

Rogie Vachon Grant Fuhr
Gerry Cheevers Ron Hextall
Glenn Resch Kelly Hrudey

Pretty impressive eh? I was just thinking notable ommissions on that '76 team are Brad Park and Rene Robert. Wonder why they werent picked or maybe injured? The '87 team actually cut Yzerman and Roy? :dunno: But like it matters now.

Forwards: Its hard to believe that any team would actually beat #99 and #66 near their primes but if you look at the '87 team there is a big talent drop off after the first 6 or 7. Take the '76 team and you see that every single player put up big points that year, other than the defensive minded Gainey. Gretz, Lemieux and Messier are the best of the three no question and they beat out '76 Lafleur, Perreault and Clarke. But look at how deep the '76 forwards are. Yes Lemieux and Gretzky are better than anyone on '76 but after that they dont compare to '76. Keep in mind Lafleur was no slouch himself. He was very capable of winning a game on his own. And if he didnt than who is stopping Perreault? Or Sittler? Or Dionne? Or Leach? To me '76 is too deep.

Defence: This should be a no brainer. Orr was still the best in that tourny. He was injured all year but still won the MVP in the Canada Cup. Potvin was right behind him. And after that Lapointe was the next best. Compare that to Bourque, Coffey and Murphy and the winner goes to '76. Throw in Savard and Robinson vs. Hartsburg and Patrick and its no contest.

Goal: Vachon was no slouch in net either. IMO he's the best player not in the HOF, and that included before Neely got in. But Fuhr was in his prime right then. He was fresh off his third Cup and a year before his own Vezina Trophy. Plus the way he played in the Canada Cup was brilliant. Vachon shone very well too, but if you had to bet the farm on a goalie to perform in the clutch than Fuhr is your man. Dont beleive me than just watch Game 2 of the '87 Canada Cup final. If either the injured Dryden or Parent were in there then its a different story but they werent so I'll take Fuhr.

So in conclusion here's my take. The '76 team had a much more superior defence and a much more balanced forward attack. The top six forwards between the two teams are in order: Gretzky, Lemieux, Lafleur, Messier, Clarke, Perreault. So top end the '87 team is better but on the bottom end you'd have to say that Steve Shutt could score more than Claude Lemieux. And the '76 team has 17 Hall of Famers while the '87 team has 10 (assuming Messier and Gilmour are in). Both teams had a LOT of guys in their primes but to me '76 is just too deep. I dont see any team in the history beating the 1976 Canada Cup team.

I think you're slighting the 1987 team a bit:

#1. Brian Propp should be listed right behind Hawerchuk as the 6th best forward on the team, and possibly ahead of Gilmour. Propp scored his 67 points in just 53 games during the regular season. He followed that up with 28 points in the 1987 playoffs.

Propp was every bit the equal player Billy Barber was.

#2. Tocchet had just broken out from being a 3rd ling checker/tough guy to becoming a power forward/goal scorer late in the 87 season and during the 87 playoffs, where he was a part of the Flyers #1 line that carried them to the 7th game of the Cup Finals.

The 76 team gets a significant edge on defense. The 87 team gets an edge in goal. The 87 team for my money gets a big edge at forward, big enough to carry the day.

I'd also argue that more of the 1987 team was in their prime than the 76 team.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
doc5hole said:
The funny thing is Orr never begrudged Potvin the right to be his own man and speak his own mind, especially when Potvin was a kid breaking in when Orr was still the best player in the game.

Ol' Denis was and still is never one to mince his words. :D

When he joined NYI in '73, he made a comment to the effect that he was different from his teammates, as he enjoyed museums and great restaurants and the like. That didn't go over too well in the lockeroom, as you might imagine. In fact, his personality was cited as one of the reasons his teammates voted to give the "C" to Clarke Gillies instead of him when it became available in the mid-70s. (After Ed Westfall relinquished it.) Potvin didn't get named captain until later in the decade, coinciding with the beginning of the team's Cup run.

The '76 Series was truly Potvin's "breaking out" party, where he established his place among the best in the league. That said, there is no doubt here that his remarks were not meant to be disrespectful toward Bobby Orr. Just the case of a young 23 y/o speaking before thinking.

As for #4's non-reaction: wouldn't expect anything else. Guy is class personified.

reckoning said:
...and Marc Tardif who couldn`t go because he was still suffering from the infamous Jodzio incident a few months earlier.

Please explain. The name Rick(?) Jodzio rings a faint bell, but the "Jodzio Incident"
sounds like a movie title. ;)

reckoning said:
Don Cherry once mentioned on HNIC years later how much he hated seeing Rene Robert get cut, because he was such a great player, but there simply wasn`t any room for him. An article I saw from `76 that named the original training camp invitees listed the four goalies as: Dryden, Parent, Cheevers and Resch. After Dryden and Parent were unavailable they invited Dan Bouchard and Rogie Vachon. Makes you wonder what might have happened without Vachon. It was strange that Orr was the tournament MVP while Vachon was the Canada MVP.

One difference between `76 and `72 was that WHA players were invited to try out; they were Bobby Hull,who made the team, Paul Smyhr, who was cut, and Marc Tardif who couldn`t go because he was still suffering from the infamous Jodzio incident a few months earlier.

I suspect Tardif would have made that team. He was a great hockey player. To me 87 was the first time you saw team Canada build it's team based on roles to fill as opposed to taking all the best players which was the case in 76.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
As great as the 76 team was, goaltending and the intangible magic of Lemieux and Gretzky give the 87 team the edge.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Trottier asked: Please explain. The name Rick (?) Jodzio rings a faint bell, but the "Jodzio Incident" sounds like a movie title.

Rick Jodzio was supended for the remainder of the 1976 WHA playoffs for intentionally injuring Marc Tardif, the 1975-76 WHA scoring leader, during the first period of Calgary's April 11, 1976, playoff game (Game 2 of series) at Quebec. Jodzio came off the Calgary bench just 6:10 into the game and raced across the ice to charge Tardif with a high stick to the face. While Tardif was still reeling from the hit, Jodzio began to pummel him with punches. The beating gave Tardif a concussion, knocked out several teeth and left him in shock with brain trauma. He was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The unprovoked incident set off a bench-clearing brawl that led to suspensions for both Jodzio and Calgary head coach Joe Crozier. Jodzio was charged with assault and intent to injure. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of assault causing bodily harm and was ordered to pay a $3,000 fine.

chooch*

svetovy poharu said:
Trottier asked: Please explain. The name Rick (?) Jodzio rings a faint bell, but the "Jodzio Incident" sounds like a movie title.

Rick Jodzio was supended for the remainder of the 1976 WHA playoffs for intentionally injuring Marc Tardif, the 1975-76 WHA scoring leader, during the first period of Calgary's April 11, 1976, playoff game (Game 2 of series) at Quebec. Jodzio came off the Calgary bench just 6:10 into the game and raced across the ice to charge Tardif with a high stick to the face. While Tardif was still reeling from the hit, Jodzio began to pummel him with punches. The beating gave Tardif a concussion, knocked out several teeth and left him in shock with brain trauma. He was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The unprovoked incident set off a bench-clearing brawl that led to suspensions for both Jodzio and Calgary head coach Joe Crozier. Jodzio was charged with assault and intent to injure. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of assault causing bodily harm and was ordered to pay a $3,000 fine.

Does anyone know what ever happened to jodzio? ie is he a car salesman in Moose Jaw, a doctor in BC?

ps everyone answering this thread has seen the 76 Canada Cup? I recall watching and Lafleur wasnt very good (once the season started it was back to usual dazzling Guy); Bowman even tried playing him at centre.

Could the 76 defence have stopped the best offensive player ever, Mario, and his sidekick Wayne? Interesting question. Who knows?

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Digging back into the archives regarding the "Jodzio Incident", I found this old report on the game.

Quebec coach Jean-Guy Gendron was disgusted following the Nordiques' 8-4 loss to the Calgary Cowboys in their game 2 of the WHA Canadian division quarterfinal series. "In 20 years of hockey, I've never seen the likes," Gendron said of Rick Jodzio's attack on Marc Tardif, the league's leading scorer during the regular season with 71 goals.

A first-period brawl erupted at 6:16 when Jodzio charged from the Calgary bench, skated about 40 feet and caught Tardif with a vicious high stick across the face. With Tardif sem-conscious, Jodzio dropped his gloves and unleashed a series of punches to the head and face of the fallen player. Jodzio was ejected from the game with a match penalty as was Quebec's Gord Gallant. Four other players from each team (Calgary's Peter Driscoll, Warren Miller, Pat Westrum & Danny Lawson along with Quebec's Bill Prentice, Pierre Roy, Curt Brackenbury & Steve Sutherland) were also ejected with game misconducts by referee Steve Dowling.

Tardif was taken off ice by stretcher to the hospital with a concussion, but a club spokesman said the left winger could return to action when the series resumes in two more nights in Calgary. Quebec City policemen had to patrol the ice in the dying moments of the 20-minute first-period brawl to restore peace.

Gendron said: "I've never given the order to one of my guys to get an opposing player. He was punching Tardif while our player wasn't moving. It was an order from Joe Crozier. I'd like to see what the league does about that."

Calgary coach Crozier, when confronted with Gendron's charges said: "If I had something to say, it wouldn't be nice."

About the game itself, Gendron attributed his team's third period collapse to fatigue, during which Calgary scored 6 unanswered goals. He said: "They had more players on the bench and we just ran out of steam."

A footnote: Calgary went on to win the series 4 games to 1, but lost in the semifinals to the eventual 1976 AVCO Cup winner, Winnipeg Jets, 4 games to 1.

A look at the April 11, 1976 boxscore: Calgary 8, Quebec 4

First Period:
1. QUE, Marc Tardif (1) from J.C. Tremblay, Serge Bernier at 3:43
2. CGY, George Morrison (1) from Ron Chipperfield at 12:12
3. QUE, Serge Bernier (1) unassisted at 15:10
4. CGY, Don Tannahill (1) from Chris Evans, Ron Chipperfield at 17:51

Penalties: Gallant (Q) major 2:29, Jodzio (CA) 2:29, Westrum (CA) 2:29, Lawson (CA) 4:54, Jodzio (CA) match penalty 6:16, Driscoll (CA) major, game misconduct 6:16, Miller (CA) double major, game misconduct 6:16, Westrum (CA) major, game misconduct 6:16, Lawson (CA) minor, major, game misconduct 6:16, McLeod (CA) minor 6:16, Prentice (Q) double major, game misconduct 6:16, Gallant (Q) minor, double major, game misconduct, match penalty 6:16, Roy (Q) major, game misconduct 6:16, Brackenbury (Q) game misconduct 6:16, Brodeur (Q) minor 6:16,
Quebec bench minor 6:16, Sutherland (Q) minor, major, game misconduct 6:16, Gresdal (Q) double minor, misconduct 6:16.

Second Period:
5. QUE, Bob Fitchner (1) from Real Cloutier, Serge Bernier at 2:10
6. QUE, Serge Bernier (2) from Dale Hoganson at 10:28

Penalties: Chipperfield (CA) 1:15, Houle (Q) 4:45, Fitchner (Q) 12:33, Miszuk (CA) 14:44, Hampson (Q) misconduct 19:40.

Third Period:
7. CGY, George Morrison (2) from Lynn Powis at 3:27
8. CGY, Gavin Kirk (1) from Don Tannahill, Ron Chipperfield at 6:56
9. CGY, Bernie Lukowich (1) from Lynn Powis at 9:24
10. CGY, Ron Chipperfield (1) from Paul Terbenche, Gavin Kirk at 10:16
11. CGY, Gavin Kirk (2) from Ron Chipperfield, Paul Terbenche at 15:35
12. CGY, Lynn Powis (1) from Bernie Lukowich at 17:31

Penalties: Constantin (Q) 1:36, Tannahill (CA) 7:52.

Shots on goal by: Calgary (8-8-13=29), Quebec (8-11-9=28)
Goalies: Calgary (Don McLeod, 60:00, 24 saves, 4 GA), Quebec (Richard Brodeur, 60:00, 21 saves, 8 GA)

Attendance: at Quebec (9,567)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Orr on one leg, Potvin and Lapointe would have been on Mario's side (and Gretz would undoubtedly be over there with him)......

Edge '87.

Robinson was not fully mature yet either. The 1978 Robinson could probably have handled Mario (especially if paired with the healthy Potvin) IF he played RD (which he didn't), but not the 76 one.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Not sure about Tardif making the team - there were some pretty good forwards on that 1976 team. I'm trying to think of who he would have replaced. I'm sure the fact he was from the WHA might have worked against him as they probably felt Bobby Hull was enough to represent Team Canada.

Good point about filling roles but I think they started doing that more in 1981 with Goring and Duguay, and of course Gainey. They were the 4th line of the 1981 team. Strange mentioning Ron Duguay as a member of Team Canada back then.

Malefic74 said:
I suspect Tardif would have made that team. He was a great hockey player. To me 87 was the first time you saw team Canada build it's team based on roles to fill as opposed to taking all the best players which was the case in 76.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I had at one point tracked down Jodzio but I don't have the info handy. At the time, it was a violent incident that made headlines and that was in the era of the 70's when there was much violence and intimidation. The People's History show wanted to cover the WHA and its violence and wanted to talk to Jodzio about the incident. There is a bit of film of the incident but not the whole thing.

There is talk of a WHA DVD set and one of the DVDs would just have fights and violent incidents. I wonder how many people would buy it.

Lafleur did not stand out in the tournament but didn't play that badly. There were so many good forwards that there wasn't enough ice time to keep everyone happy.

That 1976 team was not really tested by the Russians as they left their #1 line of Kharlamov, Petrov & Mikhailov home.

And, I think that by 1987, the other European teams were also much better and more used to the Canadian style of play.

So, I'd say that the competition for Team Canada was stronger in 1987.

As for players in their prime on the 1976 team - Hull & Esposito were past their prime but still pretty good. Orr was really not the player he was a few years earlier.
Also Robinson hadn't really developed yet.

But I would say that Clarke, Barber, Leach, Sittler, Gainey, McDonald, Dionne, Perreault, Martin, Gare, Shutt, Lafleur, Pete Mahovlich were all in their prime - and I think that matters when rating the team.

Lapointe, Savard, Potvin and Jimmy Watson were all pretty well in their best years as well.

Same for Rogie in net.

11 forwards and 5 defence from the 1976 team made the HHOF ( &1 goalie (Cheevers, who didn't play) Those are pretty good numbers.

It's a tough call. Hard to go against a prime Lemieux & Gretzky playing on one line but that defence of 1976 had to be the best collection of well rounded defencemen on one team, ever.

chooch said:
Does anyone know what ever happened to jodzio? ie is he a car salesman in Moose Jaw, a doctor in BC?

ps everyone answering this thread has seen the 76 Canada Cup? I recall watching and Lafleur wasnt very good (once the season started it was back to usual dazzling Guy); Bowman even tried playing him at centre.

Could the 76 defence have stopped the best offensive player ever, Mario, and his sidekick Wayne? Interesting question. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad