GDT: #76 | Senators at FLYERS | Tuesday, March 28, 2017 | 7:00 pm ET | TCN-PH, RDS2, TSN5

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Guys like Weal and Cousins are fine on a deep team. Relying on them to carry any kind of serious load will lead to disappointment more often than not.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Guys like Weal and Cousins are fine on a deep team. Relying on them to carry any kind of serious load will lead to disappointment more often than not.

Agreed, but at the same time, these types of players DO exist on the 3rd lines of playoff teams and teams that win the cup.

I'm not the biggest Cousins guy, but I am happy Weal is producing. He is playing as one of our top wingers at the moment. This obviously won't continue, but if he produces at a decent rate as a 3rd line winger, I would be happy with that. He is playing better then Read, Weise (who is playing better recently), and a bunch of our other wingers at this current moment.

This is a good thing people. Resign him at a good price. If he doesn't work out, that's fine. If he does, we have some depth on the team. We should be hoping he does instead of saying he easily won't. Because right now he has looked better then Laughton, Cousins, Leier ever have in the NHL.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Crazy to think Mcdavid level players are in the 9-10 range and VDV level players are in the 11-13 range !!!!!

Enjoy the wins, enjoy watching Provy, G , Mase and Ghost getting their grooves back, trust the scouts

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We were never going to lose all our games to end the season. We will pick 10-13.

Especially not with 5 home games out of the last 7.

These SO wins would have been a lot more helpful a year ago. If the 15-16 Flyers went 8-3 in the SO instead of 3-8 they would have been a 101 point team and played Florida in the first round, not Washington.

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2015

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Agreed, but at the same time, these types of players DO exist on the 3rd lines of playoff teams and teams that win the cup.

If Weal was a poor man's Tyler Johnson that would be a useful player to keep around.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
There's no difference in Ivan Provorov vs Timo Meier or Lawson Crouse. A few picks don't matter. Our scouts will pull a unicorn out of there butt. They've done it before. So it means they can do it every time. Also, apparently you can just trade up in the draft whenever you want. It's real easy and convenient.

It's not "pulling a unicorn out of their butt" when they've drafted well in worse positions before

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I agree that Weal is a good depth player. That's what we need him to be, a scoring winger on the bottom 6 lines, not trash 4th lines that don't do ****.

We can have the Top 6 be the Top 6 and then have the Bottom 6 contain guys that can possess and score from time to time.

That's the major flaw in this roster. It's been better with Filp added to the Center spot, it's evened out the 3 lines, but lets not ignore that Weal's addition and Weise not being a corpse has looked better.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Weal is just the next in the line of guys like Akeson, McGinn, White, Vandevelde, and more who have come in and looked unsustainably good in short stretches but won't be anywhere near as useful in a full season.

You are probably right. About 95% chance that you're right.

But he has been very productive in his first extended look at the NHL level, and there's no reason not to bring him back. He's not going to command a lot of money and he's not going to command a lot of term and he's not going to get in the way of any of the important prospects down the line.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Bring him back at around a milli and if if he doesnt work out, ship him to AHL. Its not like we are going to give him Vinny, Raffl, Read, Weise, PEB money. Its a low risk high reward contract.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
last night was one of the better games i attended all year. while Weal is definitely playing above his likely skill it's nice to see how hard hes worked at improving and his effort every game he's been up. in a year of regression, his progress has been a bright spot even if it doesnt last. there really is no harm in resigning him to a low term, low cost contract. worst case is he is the 13th forward or a scoring vet to help the ahl guys but best case is that his play is just a step below how hes producing at the moment and he becomes a solid 3rd line winger that can produce at even strength. really a low risk signing imo. I thought mason had another strong game last night as well. he's really turned it around from the first half of the season and I'd really like him back next year if the price and term is right. I could see a team like Winnipeg giving him a long term contract though since he won't break their bank like bishop but would improve their goaltending situation immensely. giroux was playing like a man on a mission last night. good to see a glimpse that he still has that next level game. it's a shame it showed up too late though. had to laugh when bellamare had that perfect chance in OT. everyone in the building knew he wasn't burying that. if only Hak had a skilled forward out there that hadn't been on the ice yet... putting a guy like bellamare out there in OT is playing not to lose. Konecnys usage has been maddening... all in all they looked pretty good last night against a playoff team. it s typical flyers though that they seem to be finding their game now that playoffs are out of the picture.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Akeson scored 1 goal as a Flyers

Weal has 6. It's actually an insult to even compare the two.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
last night was one of the better games i attended all year. while Weal is definitely playing above his likely skill it's nice to see how hard hes worked at improving and his effort every game he's been up. in a year of regression, his progress has been a bright spot even if it doesnt last. there really is no harm in resigning him to a low term, low cost contract. worst case is he is the 13th forward or a scoring vet to help the ahl guys but best case is that his play is just a step below how hes producing at the moment and he becomes a solid 3rd line winger that can produce at even strength. really a low risk signing imo. I thought mason had another strong game last night as well. he's really turned it around from the first half of the season and I'd really like him back next year if the price and term is right. I could see a team like Winnipeg giving him a long term contract though since he won't break their bank like bishop but would improve their goaltending situation immensely. giroux was playing like a man on a mission last night. good to see a glimpse that he still has that next level game. it's a shame it showed up too late though. had to laugh when bellamare had that perfect chance in OT. everyone in the building knew he wasn't burying that. if only Hak had a skilled forward out there that hadn't been on the ice yet... putting a guy like bellamare out there in OT is playing not to lose. Konecnys usage has been maddening... all in all they looked pretty good last night against a playoff team. it s typical flyers though that they seem to be finding their game now that playoffs are out of the picture.
Of course he is worth signing to a low cost low term contract... he is only 24? and producing on every line we put him on. The problem is he will most likely get offered a mid cost mid term contract by someone else that we would have to approximately match. I think it is better than an even chance we offer him a contract and he waits and gets a much better offer.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Of course he is worth signing to a low cost low term contract... he is only 24? and producing on every line we put him on. The problem is he will most likely get offered a mid cost mid term contract by someone else that we would have to approximately match. I think it is better than an even chance we offer him a contract and he waits and gets a much better offer.

I don't actually think that is going to happen. I can see him being comfortable here and wanting to stay in a situation he is familiar with. I also don't see teams lining up to snag him, but I could be wrong.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't actually think that is going to happen. I can see him being comfortable here and wanting to stay in a situation he is familiar with. I also don't see teams lining up to snag him, but I could be wrong.

Teams are lining up to sign 23-24 year old unproven College guys. Weal is really no different from them except he has shown he can produce at the NHL level during this short stint.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Teams are lining up to sign 23-24 year old unproven College guys. Weal is really no different from them except he has shown he can produce at the NHL level during this short stint.

They are, but those guys get a max of $925K and are on two-way contracts that are only one or two years long.

I don't think teams will be lining up to splash major cash/term on Weal based on 20 good games.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
They are, but those guys get a max of $925K and are on two-way contracts that are only one or two years long.

I don't think teams will lining up to splash major cash/term on Weal based on 20 good games.

Since no one gave a damn about him when he was waived I would guess that's likely the case.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Just from watching the games Weal's played as a Flyer, I don't think his stats are really all that unsustainable. It's not like he's getting super lucky or making plays above his skill level. Hell, in the last two games alone, he completely fanned on two different chances that would've been certain goals. Most of his goals come from him poking in loose pucks around the net.

Hopefully Hextall can get him to sign a contract soon, although letting him get to UFA might mean he wants 2 years or significantly more money. I'd take him over any of Laughton, Cousins, VdV, Bellemare, Read, or Weise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad