Post-Game Talk: #74 | Flyers at Canadiens | March 28, 2024

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The majority of the team looks absolutely cooked. They've played a lot lately and guys just look like they don't have an extra gear to use.
Agreed. The looked like their skates hadn't been sharpened for weeks. But it also looked like the Flyers got out-Flyered. They had very few quick-strike rushes because the Canadiens didn't give them the neutral zone to do so. And their cycle game was blunted. Passes weren't just missing; they were going to empty spaces and out of the offensive zone.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
So we did well enough on the gauntlet, got through with our playoff position and 3rd in the division in tact. Just took too long to get going in this one. I said(not here I don't think), we'd have to go 6-3 in the last 9, allowing for a loss at MSG and two (mess)ups. Used up one already. A win at home to Chicago is a must. Don't love the idea of the regular season finale against Washington being a Game 82.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Agreed. The looked like their skates hadn't been sharpened for weeks. But it also looked like the Flyers got out-Flyered. They had very few quick-strike rushes because the Canadiens didn't give them the neutral zone to do so. And their cycle game was blunted. Passes weren't just missing; they were going to empty spaces and out of the offensive zone.
Its something that is very common in soccer. Teams that have a very good tactic vs the top Teams and get good results in this games, often struggle against worse Teams.

Vs good Teams you can defend and counter Attack. You can have 2on1 rushes and so on. You get more free place on the field cause the opponent wants to play the game offenisvely.

Vs Bad Teams or teams on your own lvl you need to create yourself. You cant wait for counter attacks. Most of this Teams havent enough skill players to create or they arent tactical trained enough to switch between 2 different approaches.

So for me its not suprising the flyers loose games vs San Jose or Montreal. Torts has them play defense and wait for counter attacks. He hates creating offense and bench you if you try and fail. So the players arent good in creating chances vs deep structured teams. The other factor in hockey are the PPs. You can play a Bad game vs a bottom dweller, you will get 4 PPS nevertheless. Score in two of them and win the game 2:1. The flyers cant buy one goal.....

Its easy predictable

Reactions: renberg

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
When all is said and done and they miss the playoffs...it really comes down to their stubburness to keep Rocky Thompson.

Even having the 20th ranked PP prpbably nets them 2-4 more points. For a franchise committed to accountability...looks foolish keeping a guy whose only job is the PP when theyre the worst in the league.
Something else is going on with the Rocky Thompson John Tortorella dynamic. The last thing I remember Rocky Thompson saying is how much the power play sucked, and he's constantly in torella's ear I mean I don't know maybe I'll park up the wrong tree

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This appears to be what Torts was mad about after the 2nd period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad