GDT: #71 ⋅ TBL @ ANA ⋅ 5:30 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
carlsson not getting on the scoresheet despite his consistently good play is really discouraging

also, mctavish needs to be benched for a game or two. that was absolutely brutal
It'll come. I really do think he needs better linemates though. Not necessarily saying Terry is bad but they don't really have good chemistry. They're both puck carriers and pass only out of necessity to the play. Not to create plays with each other.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Eh, his decision making in general has been subpar. I don't know how you can claim otherwise, but I don't think it's something that has to plague him long term.
Agree to disagree

I don’t think it’s anything to do with his IQ, could be because of mobility limitations/discomfort but 100% disagree it’s got anything to do with being a lower IQ player

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
This is how I hope next season looks like, except the Ghost of Getzlaf OT. But I expect the Ducks to play hard and be in most games with or without the W.

They do need to fix getting the puck out of the zone.

John

Reactions: slippingsloth

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I call him Mctwitch at home. Probably not very nice. My wife just rolls her eyes.

Anyway, decent game, but the drop passes have to stop. Not just that stupid one in OT, but the ones we always do right at the blue line that almost never works. Killorn is the worst offender I think.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Dostal looks so good in net, have to think it's his net the rest of the season and going forward. Gibson is going to be a very expensive back up.

On the game, good effort really. Shame about McTavish's brain fart in OT and as frustrating as it is, young players are going to do this, at least they are trying things. I'd rather that then playing safe with dumping it around the boards and so on.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Dostal looks so good in net, have to think it's his net the rest of the season and going forward. Gibson is going to be a very expensive back up.

On the game, good effort really. Shame about McTavish's brain fart in OT and as frustrating as it is, young players are going to do this, at least they are trying things. I'd rather that then playing safe with dumping it around the boards and so on.
Gibson needs to be bought out if he can't be traded

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yay for a point!

I was only able to see the replay. Mac taketh and Mac giveth away. I see what he was trying to do and it was a terrible execution, but he really shouldn't have attempted that dangerous pass to begin with. blah. Although, I did read that Mac was terrible for most of the game. The team should bench him if he was that bad throughout the game. Will he be benched, though? I kinda doubt it.

Dostal was amazing in this game! So many highlights of him bailing out the team too many times.

On Minty's goal, LaCombe loses another opportunity of going +0 in the game as he quickly changed off the ice just before Minty scores. Lindstrom got onto the ice and Minty scores. I keep saying that the LaCombe changes quickly and doesn't get that +1 on the ice even though he was part of winning group the puck in the Dzone to get the puck into the Ozone to score. I remember one OT where LaCombe switches off and Zell gets onto to the ice as a goal is scored and Zell gets the +1.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has anyone noticed how much McTavish shakes his head/twitches?

It’s like Tourette’s or mini seizures?

Not sure about Mac but this is me most games watching this team…

IMG_5465.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I was only able to see the replay. Mac taketh and Mac giveth away. I see what he was trying to do and it was a terrible execution, but he really shouldn't have attempted that dangerous pass to begin with. blah. Although, I did read that Mac was terrible for most of the game. The team should bench him if he was that bad throughout the game. Will he be benched, though? I kinda doubt it.
Mouthy American Kid versus Good Canadian Boy. Who gets to sit for a period? That one was answered long ago.

Reactions: duckaroosky

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
carlsson not getting on the scoresheet despite his consistently good play is really discouraging

also, mctavish needs to be benched for a game or two. that was absolutely brutal

I can’t be upset anymore that Leo or the other kids are not producing as much as I hoped (That Minty goal saved my evening from full disappointment, lol) they are rookies, and Leo came into the league as an 18 yo, look at players like Barkov and his first two seasons.

Plus, is it all on them? Our top player is on pace for 61 points, which is Terry, and he has cooled off a lot, has only 4 points in his last 12 games. There just is not enough support. Don’t get me started about the PP, that 5 on 3 execution, should get Brown fired, and some changes made, but it won’t. We score there, think we win this game.

This is why Zegras is so underrated and yet people call him overrated. Had two back to back 60+ point seasons on this team? We so need him back and to push guys down and/or out of the line up. Strome for one should not be in the Top 6 anymore.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I thought McTavish looked good other than that one play

Not worried about him at all - the guy who is a gym rat and will come back better in October

Frankly, it’s hard not to be bullish about this teams future for me. Lot of young talent that is close to really breaking out big time IMO

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Yay for a point!

Dostal was amazing in this game! So many highlights of him bailing out the team too many times.

On Minty's goal, LaCombe loses another opportunity of going +0 in the game as he quickly changed off the ice just before Minty scores. Lindstrom got onto the ice and Minty scores. I keep saying that the LaCombe changes quickly and doesn't get that +1 on the ice even though he was part of winning group the puck in the Dzone to get the puck into the Ozone to score. I remember one OT where LaCombe switches off and Zell gets onto to the ice as a goal is scored and Zell gets the +1.
More evidence as to why using +/- as an evaluative tool (especially in small samples) is a fool's errand.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I thought McTavish looked good other than that one play

Not worried about him at all - the guy who is a gym rat and will come back better in October

Frankly, it’s hard not to be bullish about this teams future for me. Lot of young talent that is close to really breaking out big time IMO
Mctavish has become the Terry of the 2nd half of the season except he's still been playing better than Troy was earlier in the year (and he's likely injured). lots of complaining going on about him, nothing concerning coming from a guy who's barely 21.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Mctavish has become the Terry of the 2nd half of the season except he's still been playing better than Troy was earlier in the year (and he's likely injured). lots of complaining going on about him, nothing concerning coming from a guy who's barely 21.
Poor guy is also stretching his back out every other whistle, captain MacT playing hurt

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
More evidence as to why using +/- as an evaluative tool (especially in small samples) is a fool's errand.

I feel you only view +/- in a standalone stat when everyone keeps saying it's one of many factors to be taken in a bigger picture.

LaCombe helps to regain possession of the puck and when it puck exits to the Ozone is when he quickly changes, probably learned from his NCAA days. What isn't counted is the potential shots for and potential +1 rating at ES. With all the newer, fancy stats, those shots for won't be accredited to LaCombe even though his defense helped lead to that shot(s). The Hockey Stat Card uses +/-, Corsi % (SAT %), and xGF, both of which LaCombe will not be credited for because of his timely changes.

It isn't just +/- that's a "fool's errand" with LaCombe's example.

If we look at Hampus Lindholm, he does stay on the ice (because he wins pucks early in his shifts), but he doesn't get accredited scoring points for winning the puck and passing the puck forward (not carrying it like Fowler) to where it changes hands at least three times before the puck goes in. There are many article citing how Lindholm tilts the ice with respect to xGF or Corsi. Should raw point production be considered a "fool's errand"?

Expanding on using +/- in a bigger view, now that Fowler and LaCombe have been separated, Fowler's +/- has blown by LaCombe. Fowler is now a -33 and LaCombe has been sitting at -26 for a long while. Zell was a +2 from his first call up. Now he's been attached to Fowler, Zell is a -3. This is why many of us have said that Fowler is best utilized with a shutdown D-man.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I feel you only view +/- in a standalone stat when everyone keeps saying it's one of many factors to be taken in a bigger picture.

LaCombe helps to regain possession of the puck and when it puck exits to the Ozone is when he quickly changes, probably learned from his NCAA days. What isn't counted is the potential shots for and potential +1 rating at ES. With all the newer, fancy stats, those shots for won't be accredited to LaCombe even though his defense helped lead to that shot(s). The Hockey Stat Card uses +/-, Corsi % (SAT %), and xGF, both of which LaCombe will not be credited for because of his timely changes.

It isn't just +/- that's a "fool's errand" with LaCombe's example.

If we look at Hampus Lindholm, he does stay on the ice (because he wins pucks early in his shifts), but he doesn't get accredited scoring points for winning the puck and passing the puck forward (not carrying it like Fowler) to where it changes hands at least three times before the puck goes in. There are many article citing how Lindholm tilts the ice with respect to xGF or Corsi. Should raw point production be considered a "fool's errand"?

Expanding on using +/- in a bigger view, now that Fowler and LaCombe have been separated, Fowler's +/- has blown by LaCombe. Fowler is now a -33 and LaCombe has been sitting at -26 for a long while. Zell was a +2 from his first call up. Now he's been attached to Fowler, Zell is a -3. This is why many of us have said that Fowler is best utilized with a shutdown D-man.
Stop feeling that I think it’s a stand alone stat. I don’t. You, however use it that way often.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Stop feeling that I think it’s a stand alone stat. I don’t. You, however use it that way often.

Your comment reflect stand alone, such as "More evidence as to why using +/- as an evaluative tool (especially in small samples) is a fool's errand.". If used with other stats, then +/- helps to paint a better picture, which I have stated over and over and over again.

Back when we drafted Theodore, many on this board were down because his +/- was -24. I looked at his Seattle team and everyone except four players had a negative rating; three had a +0 rating and one was a +4, but one played 46 games, another 42 games, the third played 20 games, and a fourth played one game. That means the whole team sucked ass. With a better roster, maybe things can be different and it was so the following season with Shea getting a team leading +19 rating to go along with his 79 point performance.

See, that's what we call using context.

But you're stubborn in accepting information. Kinda like you harping all last year that Eakins' is in charge of the PP and how horrible he was, despite the numerous times I shared with you how Eakins doesn't have control over the PP. Eakins had to take control of the PP in 2020-21 season. I said Ward and Brown where the PP masterminds in 2021-22. Then when Ward left, it was just Brown and I pointed it that Ward was the actual mastermind of the 2021-22 PP. Nope. All these facts and you kept on doing what you kept on doing.

Now that everyone else has been pointing out Brown this year, you're silent. Facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad