|
2nd​
|
|
48.2​

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I think it's time to slot in Nemeth. You can't get any more NHL ready than he is and that was enough to override Honka's ceiling for me. It'd be pretty strange for a player who's going to play a fairly significant role for the big club in the upcoming season to be any lower in the ranking. I have no doubt Honka will shoot up the rankings next year but I think it's fine if he debuts at #8 for the time being.

MetalGodAOD*

Definitely between Nemeth or Honka. Hard choice but I want to see what Honka can do next year before getting too excited... Nemeth for me.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Curious about something- when ranking prospects, what criteria do we depend on the most? I know it's some combination of potential ceiling, floor, and nhl readiness, but which one of those three categories is most important?

Picked Honka, FWIW.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Curious about something- when ranking prospects, what criteria do we depend on the most? I know it's some combination of potential ceiling, floor, and nhl readiness, but which one of those three categories is most important?

Picked Honka, FWIW.

Personal choice, really. Whichever of the three you think is the most important/valuable.

Primetimey*

1) Brett Ritchie
2) Jack Campbell
3) Devin Shore
4) Jason Dickinson
5) Jamie Oleksiak
6) Julius Honka
7) John Klingberg
8) Patrik Nemeth
9) Radek Faksa
10) Remi Elie
11) Philippe Desrosiers
12) Ludvig Bystrom
13) Cole Ully
14) Curtis McKenzie
15) Niklas Hansson
16) Jyrki Jokipakka
17) Brett Pollock
18) Scott Glennie
19) Matej Stransky
20) Brandan Troock

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Satan's Top 25 Dallas Stars Prospects

1. Brett Ritchie
2. Jack Campbell
3. Jason Dickinson
4. John Klingberg
5. Devin Shore
6. Jamie Oleksiak
7. Patrik Nemeth
8. Julius Honka
9. Cole Ully
10. Radek Faksa
11. Ludvig Bystrom
12. Curtis McKenzie
13. Jyrki Jokipakka
14. Remi Elie
15. Philippe Desrosiers
16. Matej Stransky
17. Dmitry Sinitsyn
18. Brett Pollock
19. Niklas Hansson
20. Gemel Smith
-----------------------
21. Brendan Ranford
22. Alex Peters
23. Branden Troock
24. Emil Molin
25. The Scott Glennie

Haters make me famous

MetalGodAOD*

Picked Honka, FWIW.

Everyone's going to have different weights on each category.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006

Picked Honka, FWIW.
I try to balance ceiling and readiness roughly equally, while floor has a little less weight.

I think overall this board has tended to value readiness strongly as a balancer to ceiling over the years. I think that does make sense since ultimately most prospects will fail at some point in their development and the ones who have made it so far and figure to contribute at the NHL level are in the minority.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Nemeth.

I also have a combo platter of ceiling plus proximity but the further down the list you get floor also factors in pretty heavily. A guy like Faska gets the nod over some other guys because his floor and proximity trump upside of guys still 3+ years away from the NHL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So can we all agree that there's a tier of eight prospects that's a step above the rest? Don't think I 've seen any rankings with a different top eight players (in any order) than any other.

MetalGodAOD*

Idk, I think Derosiers and Bystrom round out a top 10, then you see a drop for guys like Faksa/Strats.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
So can we all agree that there's a tier of eight prospects that's a step above the rest? Don't think I 've seen any rankings with a different top eight players (in any order) than any other.

No, because Bystrom and Desrosiers are really close to Nemeth, and Faksa, Elie, Ully, Stransky are not far behind.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Nemeth will be a great #3-4 D man for us, and I understand he's NHL ready, but the point of ranking our specs is based on talent isn't it? Honka should be higher then 7 or 8th.

You can't go wrong with either here, but in terms of ceiling Honka should be higher. How many of us on here wish the Stars could find the next Zubov. Nemeth is more like the next mattychuk. Don't get me wrong both are really important and I'm very excited for Nemeth next year, but I just don't see how he's ahead of Honka

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

No, I think there's a top 9 including Desrosiers, and possibly top 10 with Bystrom before we see a drop off.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Nemeth will be a great #3-4 D man for us, and I understand he's NHL ready, but the point of ranking our specs is based on talent isn't it?

Talent is only one part of the equation. I certainly don't think it's fair to say that is the sole definition of how one should rank a group of prospects.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
No, I think there's a top 9 including Desrosiers, and possibly top 10 with Bystrom before we see a drop off.

I think the point is that there is a consensus about who the top 8 are, while the next few spots are up for grabs.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Damn this is close. I guess I'll just let it go til its original expiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad