Line Combos: 7 defencemen vs 6 defencemen

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Im actually growing a liking to running with 7 defencemen. It gives Carlyle the option to give Rielly more offensive zone starts and Fraser more defensive. It specializes our defensive core to their strengths.

I don't see too much usefulness in having lets say Frazer Mclaren and Orr only play under 5 minutes a game. I rather have 11 forwards, and then double shift some guys depending on the situation.

Example:
Down a goal, Kessel, Lupul, JVR double shift.
Up a goal, Clarkson,Kulemin, Raymond double shift.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
7 Dmen gets Rielly into the game while a 4th line plug sits in the pressbox, so I'm perfectly fine with that.

Carlyle having more offensive weapon at his disposal for a team that struggles to create offense is a good thing.

It was Rielly point shot that created Leafs only goal last night and if he was a healthy scratch Leafs likely would have been shutout.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Right now with the injuries up front I think it is better to play 7 defensemen. That way we are maximizing the number of NHLers in the lineup.

Mr Scarface*

Like already done said: Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren both play against the Buffalo Sabres. Period.

There's no other way to it. They play, fight and hit hard on that cockroach.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I honestly dont like the idea of 7 D playing, especially if Rielly is the 7th D.

When Rielly plays, he cannot be protected too much, and he needs to play 16 - 18 minutes. Otherwise, he wont learn the defensive side of the game.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I honestly dont like the idea of 7 D playing, especially if Rielly is the 7th D.

When Rielly plays, he cannot be protected too much, and he needs to play 16 - 18 minutes. Otherwise, he wont learn the defensive side of the game.

10-12 minutes is better than zero. Carlyle has sat other players or reduced their ice time when he feels it's necessary, and if he feels a guys is going, the guy might suddenly get 20 minutes a game.

What's happening right now isn't necessarily indicative of what will happen the rest of the season. Sooner or later he'll be getting bigger minutes again, and even now he's still practicing every day with NHLers instead of 17 year olds. A few nights in the pressbox to see the game from a different angle and reflect on the points the coaches have been making doesn't hurt either.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Orr/McLaren need to play against Buffalo.

6 D is the way to go. Dmen benefit from familiarity of a partner and their is only so many minutes to go around. Playing D even as a 3rd pairing Dman requires more "feel" for the game than say a 4th liner whose job is just to forecheck or fight. Getting this "feel" for the game requires actually playing but if a 7th Dman is added you're taking that away from other guys and their is only so many minutes to go around after are workhorse Dman Phaneuf gets his minutes.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Im actually growing a liking to running with 7 defencemen. It gives Carlyle the option to give Rielly more offensive zone starts and Fraser more defensive. It specializes our defensive core to their strengths.

I don't see too much usefulness in having lets say Frazer Mclaren and Orr only play under 5 minutes a game. I rather have 11 forwards, and then double shift some guys depending on the situation.

Example:
Down a goal, Kessel, Lupul, JVR double shift.
Up a goal, Clarkson,Kulemin, Raymond double shift.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

right now this club is better with reily in the lineuo ranger just cant slate sorry folks but its time to generate some offense ,,,,,u gotta get the puck to our 8 milion dollar men for them to score .......injuries or not i think reilly or even liles has to play ahead of ranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad