GDT: #7| Bigfoot vs. Penguin | Thur, Oct. 26 2023 7:00 PM EST |PPG| Just here for the laughs...

What is greater:

• Our chances of winning

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Sid and Nathans Bromance

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Sullys refusal to change

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Who do they have that are snipers? Hyman, Kane, RNH, Brown? None of them are snipers
Team is loaded with talent, but league doesn't favor talent any longer. IT's all ugly goals with the rare skilled goal. League has become a bore with their huge goalies and D first mentality. Put the Oilers in the league just 10 years ago and they would be unstoppable. Put them in the 90's and they would be historic.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Team is loaded with talent, but league doesn't favor talent any longer. IT's all ugly goals with the rare skilled goal. League has become a bore with their huge goalies and D first mentality. Put the Oilers in the league just 10 years ago and they would be unstoppable. Put them in the 90's and they would be historic.
You realize that the NHL’s goals per game is up significantly from 10 years ago, right? The last time the NHL’s GPG average was as high as last year (3.18) was 1993.

The Oilers just aren’t a well built team and/or their stars aren’t good enough to carry them like other stars have for other franchises

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When a coach says every single game - "we just have to execute better" I am astonished no media member randomly says "Do you think maybe you can give them something they CAN execute?"

If you are a coach and always point to execution, then you are literally blaming yourself for not putting a system that the team can execute.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder what the season ticket holders have to say to the majority?

MTE4uUc.gif

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Disagree

Hyman and Kane are not skilled forwards. They score ugly goals.

Anyways, Goals are as high as they were in the early 90's. The top scorer right now is 5'11 175 pounds and putting up almost 3pts per game through 6.

The league is more smaller and more skilled than ever.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Pens need to come at this game with a playoff mentality. If they don't come out flying and win this game then it's going to be a long season and if not obvious already time to look at replacing the head coach.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Pens need to come at this game with a playoff mentality. If they don't come out flying and win this game then it's going to be a long season and if not obvious already time to look at replacing the head coach.
Hopefully not the playoff mentality they’ve had for their last 5 appearances.

Oilers just need a coach like Sullivan.

Or Sullivan himself.
NHL needs to have coach trading like the NFL. I’m sure some stupid organization would pay a 1st for Sully.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think Sully is Bylsma. Bylsma is a f***ing TERRIBLE coach and it was very obvious. The only reason they won in 2009 was the team was incredible and they finally let the leash off MT's structured team. Bylsma is one of the worst coaches to ever coach.

Sully is basically Therrien. MT was stubborn in his way and it was the reason he lost the room. He wouldn't give the team some leash and he lost them badly. Sully is the exact same. Okay to good coach but wears out his welcome fast. That's why MT was a good coach elsewhere but just loses the room too fast. If these 2 could get outside their arrogance/stubbornness, they would be GOOD NHL coaches.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think Sully is Bylsma. Bylsma is a f***ing TERRIBLE coach and it was very obvious. The only reason they won in 2009 was the team was incredible and they finally let the leash off MT's structured team. Bylsma is one of the worst coaches to ever coach.

Sully is basically Therrien. MT was stubborn in his way and it was the reason he lost the room. He wouldn't give the team some leash and he lost them badly. Sully is the exact same. Okay to good coach but wears out his welcome fast. That's why MT was a good coach elsewhere but just loses the room too fast. If these 2 could get outside their arrogance/stubbornness, they would be GOOD NHL coaches.

Therrien but he has been here 7.5 years. The team is too comfortable with him.

NHL coaches are not meant to coach one team this long.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
When a coach says every single game - "we just have to execute better" I am astonished no media member randomly says "Do you think maybe you can give them something they CAN execute?"

If you are a coach and always point to execution, then you are literally blaming yourself for not putting a system that the team can execute.
Are you really though?
Media is and always was/will be there to steer the sheep.

Reactions: ColePens

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You realize that the NHL’s goals per game is up significantly from 10 years ago, right? The last time the NHL’s GPG average was as high as last year (3.18) was 1993.

The Oilers just aren’t a well built team and/or their stars aren’t good enough to carry them like other stars have for other franchises
Maybe. But that goals average doesn't tell the entire story. How many of those are with additional EN since coaches now pull their goalie 2 goals down? Also OT's add a goal. And my biggest complaint is that the only consistent way to score in the league is through deflections, rebounds and hack a wack. Most don't care, they like to hear a buzzer and see lights. I like fun, sorry that I grew up with entertaining AF hockey.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If they’re losing again tonight, we’ll likely see a Mike Sullivan cry-fest to the officials at some point. He already went off on the players last game so that’s what’s coming next.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Maybe. But that goals average doesn't tell the entire story. How many of those are with additional EN since coaches now pull their goalie 2 goals down? Also OT's add a goal. And my biggest complaint is that the only consistent way to score in the league is through deflections, rebounds and hack a wack. Most don't care, they like to hear a buzzer and see lights. I like fun, sorry that I grew up with entertaining AF hockey.
I don’t disagree entirely, but there is still a lot of talent and entertaining players today.

Besides, for every deflection goal today you had a muffin from 30 ft that any 10 year old today could stop in the 80’s NHL. I don’t know that I would call that entertaining either.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they’re losing again tonight, we’ll likely see a Mike Sullivan cry-fest to the officials at some point. He already went off on the players last game so that’s what’s coming next.
If they lose, count on hearing this speech after the game: “There was a lot to like about our game. We competed hard. There was just a few minutes there in X period where we got a little sloppy and it cost us, but this was a much better game than last game. We were harder to play against. We’re making progress.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad