Proposal: 6th overall pick + for 1st overall

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If the season were to end now and Colorado got the 1st overall pick and we ended up with the 6th overall, what would it take to get the pick from them?

If Colorado wins the lottery, they won't move the pick. The need Jones, and want him badly.

Moving up becomes more feasible (though still unlikely) if it is Florida, but even then, I think we'd need to be 3rd or 4th to pull it off. There's just too much of a gap between 1st and 6th.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Couturier's our only trade piece and Colorado is pretty set at center with Duchene, Statsny, and O'Reilly. Their defense is probably worse than ours so they definitely need Jones. I don't see a deal working out between these two teams.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think we should move up. I know jones may be a franchise d man and is prized but you look around the league at all the dmen that we would want and none were drafted first overall draft smart and be patient with them

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
And this team will be higher than 6th. These last few have been the worst Flyers team I have seen n a long time

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don't think we should move up. I know jones may be a franchise d man and is prized but you look around the league at all the dmen that we would want and none were drafted first overall draft smart and be patient with them

Well, the flip side of that argument is when was the last time a defenseman was the consensus #1 pick? I don't know offhand but it's been a while, so one could argue that just makes Jones all the more impressive. Especially since MacKinnon and Druin and so highly regarded. That said, I agree that trading up for the #1 is probably not feasible.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well, the flip side of that argument is when was the last time a defenseman was the consensus #1 pick? I don't know offhand but it's been a while, so one could argue that just makes Jones all the more impressive. Especially since MacKinnon and Druin and so highly regarded. That said, I agree that trading up for the #1 is probably not feasible.

Yea for sure he sounds like a franchise dman that can play right away. Every team needs a top young dman right now. But my point is that there are plenty of great franchise dmen out there that were drafted at our spot and lower

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yea for sure he sounds like a franchise dman that can play right away. Every team needs a top young dman right now. But my point is that there are plenty of great franchise dmen out there that were drafted at our spot and lower

I'd be very happy to "settle" for Nurse.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I just really want a top 4 pick.

Not likely. The teams below us are really tanking well. The Flyers are struggling with their tanking. Recently, they played a full 60 minutes a few times and won some games.

At least Giroux and Timonen got the memo and did their best to sabotage a narrow escape from OT tonight. Whew, almost got a point.

#FlyerSTank

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sure is. Not only would we have a future franchise defenseman but can you even imagine Coatsey interviewing Donovan McNabb between periods? Heck, I'd pay money just to see that.

:laugh:

Hopefully he's nothing like his uncle if we do land him. I can't take an athlete constantly playing the victim act all the time in this city again.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't be opposed to the Flyers trading back depending on where there pick is. If they get the fifth pick and #10 wants to move up, I think I would listen. You can probably still land one of Pulock, Risto, Nurse, or Zadorov and pick up a couple extra picks perhaps in this year or next (or some prospects).

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
IMO, they should just draft where they are, unless they can get who they want a few spots lower.

Like trading the 5th or 6th for the 10th +, or something of that nature, but somehow knowing who is taking who inbetween.

Otherwise, stay. If they cant get Jones, you take the best player available. If it happens to be a bonafide star in the making, then we just made available other players to trade for a d-man.

Aside from Jones, we will be waiting for any of the remaining d-men to grow into an NHL player, likely 3-4 years for them to be at the stage of difference maker, at the least. I'd rather take a forward who can step in sooner, strengthen the depth of the forward core, making other players available to be traded for a potential #1 d-man that is in the NHL already.

With that said, at the same time, the core of this team is very young. Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, are all 25 or younger. They will get better with time, and the team will be better for it. It isnt a win now or the window is gone sort of deal.

If they can get a good young tender in the net, add a young potential #1 d-man, and retain the above players, all doable feats IMO, this team will be scary good in 2-3 years.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
IMO, they should just draft where they are, unless they can get who they want a few spots lower.

Like trading the 5th or 6th for the 10th +, or something of that nature, but somehow knowing who is taking who inbetween.

Otherwise, stay. If they cant get Jones, you take the best player available. If it happens to be a bonafide star in the making, then we just made available other players to trade for a d-man.

Aside from Jones, we will be waiting for any of the remaining d-men to grow into an NHL player, likely 3-4 years for them to be at the stage of difference maker, at the least. I'd rather take a forward who can step in sooner, strengthen the depth of the forward core, making other players available to be traded for a potential #1 d-man that is in the NHL already.

With that said, at the same time, the core of this team is very young. Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, B. Schenn, L. Schenn, are all 25 or younger. They will get better with time, and the team will be better for it. It isnt a win now or the window is gone sort of deal.

If they can get a good young tender in the net, add a young potential #1 d-man, and retain the above players, all doable feats IMO, this team will be scary good in 2-3 years.

I think Ristolainen has a chance to make an NHL club next year, but Nurse would likely need several more seasons of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad