6'9" Starting G/5'6" #1 C vs. 6'9" #1 C/5'6" Starting G

Which would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Assuming all else on the teams being equal and abilities (aside from height) in all respective players the same. Also assuming the #1C is an elite skill-level #1C no matter what height he is, and the same with the goalie. So basically you're looking at 6'9" McDavid/5'6" Hasek vs. 5'6" McDavid/6'9" Hasek.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That is true for McDavid of any height.

Good luck scoring past a 6’9 Hasek though

I mean actually unstoppable though. He'd probably score 400+ points in a 82 game schedule.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Assuming all else on the teams being equal and abilities (aside from height) in all respective players the same. Also assuming the #1C is an elite skill-level #1C no matter what height he is, and the same with the goalie. So basically you're looking at 6'9" McDavid/5'6" Hasek vs. 5'6" McDavid/6'9" Hasek.

Assuming I'm not misunderstanding the question... If there's no discernible difference in terms of abilities, I'll take the mental anguish the other team will feel if they have issues poking a puck past the 5'6" Hasek vs a 6'9" Hasek?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Assuming I'm not misunderstanding the question... If there's no discernible difference in terms of abilities, I'll take the mental anguish the other team will feel if they have issues poking a puck past the 5'6" Hasek vs a 6'9" Hasek?

Yes, but keep in mind the 6'9" McDavid could probably score 10+ goals a game by himself.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I mean actually unstoppable though. He'd probably score 400 points in a 82 game schedule.

Nah he would not score more than current McDavid I don’t think. Being 6’9 would give him a longer reach but that does not matter too much ( especially offensively), but it would also make him more clumsy and uncoordinated and maybe a bit less explosive.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Height is always a benefit, regardless of the position.

But I think a goaltender would benefit more than a forward, simply because goaltending is all angles and covering as much net as possible.

A 6'9" goaltender like Hasek, or one that is technically sound like Roy or Brodeur, would be almost unbeatable. They would give almost no holes to shoot at.

A 6'9" Roy would be able to drop into a butterfly stance, and still manage to cover the entire top of the net.

Reactions: Weast

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nah he would not score more than current McDavid I don’t think. Being 6’9 would give him a longer reach but that does not matter too much ( especially offensively), but it would also make him more clumsy and uncoordinated and maybe a bit less explosive.

Assuming same speed and same coordination for the purposes of the poll. Imagine the stride length at 6'9" with that speed, he'd cover the entire ice surface in 2 seconds.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yes, but keep in mind the 6'9" McDavid could probably score 10 goals a game by himself.

Sure... but aren't mini goalie and goliath CMD on the same team? Tiny Hasek at least he gets all the goalie interference calls and Connor McGiant is actually scary to play against.

I mean sure, the giant goalie is frustrating to shoot on, but for the tiny C, I'm sure teams would try to lumberjack that kid like they're trying to take down a christmas tree. Not the same fear of that little pipsqueak.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Height is always a benefit, regardless of the position.

But I think a goaltender would benefit more than a forward, simply because goaltending is all angles and covering as much net as possible.

A 6'9" goaltender like Hasek, or one that is technically sound like Roy or Brodeur, would be almost unbeatable. They would give almost no holes to shoot at.

I guess the intent was to see how much you think a 6'9" McDavid could score/how tough it would be for a 5'6" Hasek to stop pucks vs. how tough it would be to score on a 6'9" Hasek/how tough it would be for a 5'6" McDavid to score.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Assuming same speed and same coordination for the purposes of the poll. Imagine the stride length at 6'9" with that speed, he'd cover the entire ice surface in 2 seconds.

You are overestimating how much of a difference McDavid being 6’9 makes, but if he can sustain the same speed and coordination in a hypothetical world he would score 130 probably. What you are saying would only be true if he was like 7’8 or something unhumanly ridiculous.

Very few would score past a 6’9 Hasek covering almost every angle though.

Reactions: filinski77

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Does this assume that a player keeps their speed and mobility despite growing in size?

I feel like a 6'9" Vasilesky that can move and play the way he already does would have a GAA under 0.5 every game LOL. Whereas with a 6'9" McDavid, sure he would be much more effective, but not sure it would break the game as much as a speedy goaltender gaining a huge amount of size.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sure... but aren't mini goalie and goliath CMD on the same team? Tiny Hasek at least he gets all the goalie interference calls and Connor McGiant is actually scary to play against.

I mean sure, the giant goalie is frustrating to shoot on, but for the tiny C, I'm sure teams would try to lumberjack that kid like they're trying to take down a christmas tree. Not the same fear of that little pipsqueak.

I may have misunderstood which option you were voting for. Are you voting for mini-goalie/goliath CMD?

Reactions: Fig

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
That is true.

But if he was playing against the 6'9" goaltender, he would have nowhere to shoot even if he managed to get past everyone.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That is true.

But if he was playing against the 6'9" goaltender, he would have nowhere to shoot even if he managed to get past everyone.

I meant which combination would you rather have on your team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Does this assume that a player keeps their speed and mobility despite growing in size?

I feel like a 6'9" Vasilesky that can move and play the way he already does would have a GAA under 0.5 every game LOL. Whereas with a 6'9" McDavid, sure he would be much more effective, but not sure it would break the game as much as a speedy goaltender gaining a huge amount of size.

Yes, speed and mobility remain the same regardless of size.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I guess the intent was to see how much you think a 6'9" McDavid could score/how tough it would be for a 5'6" Hasek to stop pucks vs. how tough it would be to score on a 6'9" Hasek/how tough it would be for a 5'6" McDavid to score.
I think the team gaining the 6'9" Hasek would benefit more than a team getting the 6'9" McDavid.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You are overestimating how much of a difference McDavid being 6’9 makes, but if he can sustain the same speed and coordination in a hypothetical world he would score 130 probably. What you are saying would only be true if he was like 7’8 or something unhumanly ridiculous.

Very few would score past a 6’9 Hasek covering almost every angle though.

I think McDavid being 6'9" and having the same speed/coordination but adding the natural reach/puck protection his added height would give him would probably let him score at least 5 goals a game. There are at least 3 to 4 plays every game real McDavid plays now where he just can't reach the puck past the goalie on a half-breakaway.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think McDavid being 6'9" and having the same speed/coordination but adding the natural reach/puck protection his added height would give him would probably let him score at least 5 goals a game. There are at least 3 to 4 plays every game real McDavid plays now where he just can't reach the puck past the goalie on a half-breakaway.
You think a 6'9" McDavid would score 5 goals a game (410 goals a season) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad