GDT: [#68] Dallas Stars visit the Ghosts of le Centre Bell

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well they got a point and thats good but the games are only getting harder from now on. I know half the D is hurt now but still this was one of the few "easy" games in the shedule.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
It sucks that we have no D left. It was a miracle we even salvaged a point out of this one since we were forced to use Oleksiak and Nemeth. On the plus side, the forward lines were good and the top line looked pretty good for the most part and we really need them to get going for these upcoming games.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Why did no one bother to get on Galchenyuk in OT? He took two one-timers, one of which resulted in a great save from Kari. Why the hell is the response "let's let him take another"?

Just get in front of him, that pass shouldn't get through when he's telegraphing a one-timer that much.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I actually thought that should've been stopped but oh well. That was basically a PP anyway and a PP in 3 on 3 OT is almost certain death.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I understand Russell did not have a stick but seemed like he played that shot soft. There was no way he was getting over to block shot. I thought he might should have played more to outside

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I understand Russell did not have a stick but seemed like he played that shot soft. There was no way he was getting over to block shot. I thought he might should have played more to outside

Russell did play it wrong after his stick broke, and it comes from too many players who are still not playing 3 on 3 OT correctly. A lot of the success the Stars have in OT comes from teams playing it like Russell did, which is to play it like you're a PKer on a 5 on 3 shorthanded situation. These guys who default to some triangle zone defense cost their teams wins in OT.

The only way to play it is man on man. Go glue yourself to a player and remove him as a passing option. If the guy has the puck, get on him to force a pass or a dump. The whole reason the puck ended up in the zone is because the Habs pressured Eakin into pushing the puck ahead into the neutral zone to no one in particular. The Habs grabbed the puck and spent the remainder of OT in the Stars's end.

There is waaaay too much open ice in 3 on 3 to be of any use trying to defend it with positioning. When Russell's stick broke, he should have skated right over to be within touching distance of the nearest Hab.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Russell did play it wrong after his stick broke, and it comes from too many players who are still not playing 3 on 3 OT correctly. A lot of the success the Stars have in OT comes from teams playing it like Russell did, which is to play it like you're a PKer on a 5 on 3 shorthanded situation. These guys who default to some triangle zone defense cost their teams wins in OT.

The only way to play it is man on man. Go glue yourself to a player and remove him as a passing option. If the guy has the puck, get on him to force a pass or a dump. The whole reason the puck ended up in the zone is because the Habs pressured Eakin into pushing the puck ahead into the neutral zone to no one in particular. The Habs grabbed the puck and spent the remainder of OT in the Stars's end.

There is waaaay too much open ice in 3 on 3 to be of any use trying to defend it with positioning. When Russell's stick broke, he should have skated right over to be within touching distance of the nearest Hab.

So you would be fine seeing someone, say Jordie Benn, locked on a one on one battle with <insert any star player with the puck> with nobody else behind him except the goalie because his teammates chased others without the puck into the corners?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad