Shoots: L
Birthday: 6-19-98

NHL Comparison: Duncan Keith

Teammates with Kyle Wood

Ranked #87 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #76 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #40 by Future Considerations
Ranked #88 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #39 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #72 by TSN/McKenzie

The player than comes to mind when thinking of Cam Dineen is Duncan Keith (Chicago, 2002 54th overall). It is not so much that they have all the same characteristics as it is that they both have the same effect on a team – they run the offense. They both have excellent mobility, skating, passing, transition, vision, and creativity. Dineen still needs to develop an edge to his game if he wants to achieve anywhere near the high-end success that Keith has achieved. He also doesn’t have the big shot that Keith has so he will have to be more of a set-up man than a shooter like Markov in Montreal.

There is a fairly big gap between the low and the high of Dineen’s NHL potential. He will be an NHLer, I am confident of that. However, if he doesn’t develop an edge to his game, he will likely struggle to be a top defender but if he does, “wow†is the limit. Just remember, Keith had two years in the AHL before making it and you could say that he played the best of his career in last year’s playoffs, thirteen years after his draft year. So the road ahead is still a long one for Cam Dineen. He has the potential to make it a long, successful one.

Strengths
High speed mental processing and execution of game
Willingness and ability to run the team’s offense
Transition game and puck moving
Passing
Hockey IQ
Vision and creativity
Poise
Work ethic
Active stick on defense
Ability to quarterback a powerplay
Skating

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)
Needs to develop an edge to his game, a dose of hard-nosed chippiness
Weight and strength
Continued improvements to his defensive side of the game
Shot

http://thehockeywriters.com/cam-dineen-the-next-ones-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Brock Otten - Dineen's best asset is far and away his ability to see the ice offensively. His hockey sense is elite and his brain for the game is going to carry him places. I saw North Bay a lot this year and I honestly can't remember him making a bad pass out of his own end. He also distributes exceptionally well on the powerplay and does a great job of getting a low hard point shot through to the net. The physical skills are only average (size, strength), and I'm sure there are some scouts who wish he was a little more explosive in his first few steps (he moves well and has very good overall mobility, but I do think it is a legit criticism). But you just can't ignore how well he processes the game.

Though the sample he matched against only contained 14 players, the prospect of getting a player with a 50% likelihood of being an NHLer outside of the first round is one NHL teams should be relishing. And while the raw numbers aren't quite in the same range, his stature and position on the league scoring chart are reminiscent of recent prospect standouts like Ryan Ellis and Anthony DeAngelo. While an argument about quality of teammates can be made, given that he spent the vast majority of his time with another very good OHL defenseman in Kyle Wood, the fact remains the Dineen played a lot of minutes, against strong competition, and scored at a well above league average rate.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/20...er-cam-dineen-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#68 Cam Dineen

#48 on our Draft List. Good pick!

Cam Dineen shows the potential to be a top four defender, but still has some holes in his game. He will need to work on his defensive game, add some muscle to his frame, and continue to improve his speed and acceleration. There could be a very good reward here though for a team who is able to invest in Dineen’s development and help him reach the next level. In terms of style, Dineen looks an awful lot like Duncan Keith when you watch him. This is a comparison of his skating stride and the type of offensive game he plays though, and not necessarily a comment on his skill level or potential.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/15/cam-dineen-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-48/

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Surprised there isn't more excitement about him, made a massive jump to the OHL from the EHL this year and put up some big numbers.

Could be real good

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I thought the Coyotes might take him at #20. Really, really happy to get him at #68. Two big steals this draft with him and Chychrun

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Surprised there isn't more excitement about him, made a massive jump to the OHL from the EHL this year and put up some big numbers.

Could be real good

His problem is that he's not very fast and he's quite small. This is a problem, especially for a D. But if he can get more burst speed, quickness, and lower body strength, he could be a steal. His advanced stats are off the charts from what I understand and his D parter Wood is already in the system. This is an amazing a value pick, but there's a reason why a guy with his numbers falls to 68. He's got work to do. Luckily, skating can be fixed. Strength and be acquired. He just has to work. If he does, then damn. He's an ace prospect.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
He plays the modern game so that's a plus. Possible Spurgeon clone?

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Great Kid, Great Family. One thing you'll see in him is how cool and poised he is. Always had that even as a squirt. Not sure of his ceiling because every season he makes huge leaps. Good Luck Cam, from your TRHC family!

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I pretty much forgot we nabbed this guy in the 3rd. What a geat draft.

I hope he's getting some quality time with Dawn Braid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad