67oa: Morgan Geekie C-RW/Tri-city WHL

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This seemed like the draft that might be worth using picks on productive second draft eligible players. Seems like a smart pick.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I thought it was cool for a moment that we took a Texan. Then I saw that link was for Max Gildon, taken by Florida.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If you're gonna invade the board and deprive the locals of the chance to get First Post, you can at least get your spam right.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
This seemed like the draft that might be worth using picks on productive second draft eligible players. Seems like a smart pick.

He's also really really good defensively. His production outburst was a surprise and what ultimately got him drafted. It's not often you see players grow exponentially the way he did from the year before to last season. It suggests there may be another gear. Progression from year to year is my favorite evaluation tool, so I love this pick.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Per Hank's request. This guy caught my eye before the draft. Here was my tiny uninformed write up from the draft thread on him

"On a serious note Morgan Geekie (cool last name) catches my eye. He's ranked anywhere from around a late 2nd to 3rd rounder. At the same time he put up 35 goals, 90pts in the WHL and has the size of an NHLer at 6'2 178 pounds. He was undrafted last season but had quite the leap in production from his previous season. Could be a steal here."

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He's also really really good defensively. His production outburst was a surprise and what ultimately got him drafted. It's not often you see players grow exponentially the way he did from the year before to last season. It suggests there may be another gear. Progression from year to year is my favorite evaluation tool, so I love this pick.

Will be interesting to see if he can take another step this season. Maybe crack 100pts down in the OHL.

Coincidental Minors

May 16, 2007
In your kitchen
My dad has season tickets in Tri. This kid plays very responsible. Trusted in all situations, and produced 5v5. Rasmussen and Valimaki got the scouts to show up this year and Morgan made the most if it. He will center the 2nd line this year. Best penalty killer and will be on 2nd power play unit. Passed over last year and used it as motivation. Easy kid to root for. https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/morgan-geekie-jun7

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The thing with this guy is whether he can continue to improve his skating. He does that, and he's got serious upside. He doesn't and he'll be lucky to get out of the AHL. Personally, I think he'll continue to progress as he made an improvement this year. Frankly the scouts pinged him mostly for his footwork. Just sluggish. Apparently there's been some improvement, but he was Nic Roy bad last season.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Imagine the PR possiblities with that name....it's Geekie night at the PNC. Come dressed like your favorite Revenge of the Nerds character, get a free corn dog.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Geeike is the guy that excited me the most out of who we drafted. I just like his upside if he can figure out his skating. It's also gonna be super interested to see if makes another huge step this season down in the juniors.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Just watched a bunch of video and Geekie's skating has indeed improved. That kid's got one quick release. He plays big because he knows how to use his size well. Always seems to get to the front of the net. Many of his points come from between the dots. One thing I noted is he appears to have vision....his passes seem to always be right on the tape of a guy in perfect scoring position. He's very responsible defensively. A number of times he causes a turnover and started and finished a break out.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Adding two overagers in Geekie and Luostarinen gives the Canes a pretty diverse plug of forwards coming up all around the same age. Roy, Aho, Saarela, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Luostarinen, and Geekie all between 19-20 by the start of next season.

I won't go as far as saying "that's a cheap future top-6"... but it does look like the Canes should at least pull a cheap future middle-6 out of the core.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ok, I'm confused about the term "overagers", now. I had believed it to describe a 20-year-old playing in the CHL. Is it more properly used to describe a player not previously drafted?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ok, I'm confused about the term "overagers", now. I had believed it to describe a 20-year-old playing in the CHL. Is it more properly used to describe a player not previously drafted?

That is the official term in the CHL. I was lazily using it to describe someone who has already been Draft eligible once. Point being they are older and hopefully further along already in their development.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

A lot of people use the term fluidly. "Overage" as it pertains to the draft usually implies a 2nd or 3rd time eligible. The official terminology for purposes of the CHL is a player that is either 20 years old or has accrued 4 full seasons of CHL hockey. Geekie was a D+1 last year in the CHL. He was first eligible for the draft in 2016. Geekie still has CHL eligibility for next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad