Post-Game Talk: #66| FLYERS 2 at Leafs 4 | Thursday, March 9, 2017

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I was here after the Sabres game and said he played well.

I am back today to report that he sucked.

Mostly this season, he's been fkn marginal.

He had an inexcusable turnover (a couple, in fact) in a CRITICAL game. This needs to be reported.

Last edited:

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Another thing I've had enough of with him - particularly on the PP - is how he goes into auto-cycle the instant he gets any puck down low in the OZ.

On the PP, it's an immediate turn away from the net and wheel around the boards to the defenseman. At ES, it's a 4th line-style cycle in the corner with minimal urgency towards the goal.

In each case, a very low percentage shot is generated.

I don't know how much of this stuff is Couturier and how much is Hakstol. But my god is it depressing to watch.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Another thing I've had enough of with him - particularly on the PP - is how he goes into auto-cycle the instant he gets any puck down low in the OZ.

On the PP, it's an immediate turn away from the net and wheel around the boards to the defenseman. At ES, it's a 4th line-style cycle in the corner with minimal urgency towards the goal.

In each case, a very low percentage shot is generated.

I don't know how much of this stuff is Couturier and how much is Hakstol. But my god is it depressing to watch.

I think it's a Hak thing. Jake does the same thing. As does Simmonds. Only they wrap it around for Giroux.

Our PP...both units....are so un-creative.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Simmonds does a lot less of his turn-and-shoot. I think in that situation he looks to Schenn and if it's covered he throws it back to Giroux. He's not helped by the fact that Voracek can be left uncovered for a PKer to skate over and keep Simmonds from turning. That's where I wish his shot were respected. Could give Mr. Train a lot more room.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think it's a Hak thing. Jake does the same thing. As does Simmonds. Only they wrap it around for Giroux.

Our PP...both units....are so un-creative.

Our top unit doesn't need to be excessively creative. It's design organically provides several options for each player that make it difficult to defend. It's been essentially the same design for six years, and team's still haven't solved it. Adding unnecessary creativity would just make them stray from plays that are known to work with high levels of success. People just complain when it goes cold, which is relatively rare.

And what Couturier does on PP2 isn't the same as what Simmonds and Voracek do. On PP1, they wrap it all the way around because they know Giroux is going to be there to pick it up on the half wall. And it works quite well. On PP2, it's more of a regular cycle in the corner like they would do at even strength which really isn't effective for the PP since it doesn't force the PKers to move. Either that or the "turn and shoot" which is almost always a low-percentage play in that spot.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Why? It just about never leads to anything other than a perimeter shot into the goalie's crest, if it makes it through the maze of shinpads.

Or maybe I'm not being totally clear - that play is a perfectly valid Plan B or Plan C. But with Coots, I notice he *immediately* puts his head down and makes that play with gusto, as if he's on autopilot. A move to the net or pass through the slot isn't even considered.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Who in the slot is there to make a play and is open?

Well that's a loaded question, but I'll grant that there often may be nothing.

But - for example - look at the way Filpula played in his first game. He looked towards the middle of the ice to create opportunities. And he found a few.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Couturier had a bad game against Toronto and his offensive production, especially this season, stinks. I still like him a lot as a 3rd line center and think he's about the least of this team's problems if he's in that role.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
I still like him a lot as a 3rd line center and think he's about the least of this team's problems if he's in that role.

Believe it or not, this is what my view of the world boils down to as well.

Forget words like "Selke", "elite", and all the statistical excitement last year seems to have generated. He is a rock solid 3C.

The day that becomes the consensus here is the day I stop going on about this player.

he's about the least of this team's problems if he's in that role.

Without question. The number one discussion point this offseason is whether to explore options with Giroux. Hextall has a really, really tough decision to make there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well that's a loaded question, but I'll grant that there often may be nothing.

But - for example - look at the way Filpula played in his first game. He looked towards the middle of the ice to create opportunities. And he found a few.

We usually have no option there unfortunately.

The complaint about Couturier not pushing the net with the puck is valid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad