Post-Game Talk: #66 | FLYERS 1 at Panthers 4 | Sun., Mar. 4, 2018,

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
barkov and the other russian were super impressive. how high was barkov drafted?

2nd overall in 2013. It was a bit controversial at the time as Florida picked him over Drouin & Jones who went the next two picks.

It obviously worked out well for them. Drouin really hasn’t lived up to the expectations. Jones is pretty good but took him longer than it did Barkov to establish himself as a higher end player. So Barkov supplied more value on his ELC which is why forwards that high are typically more valued over defensemen.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Ideal lines for wednesday:

1st line
Oskar-NP-Jake
Raffl-Laughton-Simmer
Leier-Filppula-Weal

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Manning-Hagg (with high sheltered minutes)

But Hakstol's lines for next game:

1st line
Jake-NP-Simmer
Leier-Laughton-Raffl
Lehtera-Filppula-Weise

Provy-Ghost
Manning-Gudas
Hagg-Brennan

And Oskar will be a HS and learn from Lehtera's play.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Need to reinvent the controlled team effort that had them ride on an unlikely wave of success until recently.

Playoffs are almost guaranteed but it would be worthless to somehow sneak in as the lower WC seed on a losing streak to get torn apart by a contender.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The cushion is really 10 points for us.

9 ahead of Florida plus we have tiebreaker.
See Florida is only 1 point back of CBus with 3 games in hand, so in my mind, they have passes them for the last spot which takes CBus out of the playoffs.

And CBus is 8 back but we do have the tiebreaker, so it's 9 back really.

Regardless, it would take a big collapse AND multiple teams getting hot for us to miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
This was definitely a game where Simmonds was missed. 40 shots, many of them from the point without effective screens, 1 goal.

I'd love to see Simmonds on a line with Laughton and either Weal or Raffl, with the other moving down to the fourth line. It'd be a nice grindy line that would pop in the occasional goal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At this point, why does anyone care if Leier or Lehtera play - I've seen nothing from Leier this season that suggests he's a NHL player.

I thought everyone wanted Hakstol to ditch the scheme for more of a Lavi "wide open" game.
Of course, that would require the same depth as we had in 2010-2012.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Boy I'm REALLY glad I missed this one. I was afraid after seeing the final score that maybe someone important got injured. Nope, they just suck.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
See Florida is only 1 point back of CBus with 3 games in hand, so in my mind, they have passes them for the last spot which takes CBus out of the playoffs.

And CBus is 8 back but we do have the tiebreaker, so it's 9 back really.

Regardless, it would take a big collapse AND multiple teams getting hot for us to miss the playoffs.

Hakstol says, "Hold my lite beer."

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
Ideal lines for wednesday:

1st line
Oskar-NP-Jake
Raffl-Laughton-Simmer
Leier-Filppula-Weal

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Manning-Hagg (with high sheltered minutes)

But Hakstol's lines for next game:

1st line
Jake-NP-Simmer
Leier-Laughton-Raffl
Lehtera-Filppula-Weise

Provy-Ghost
Manning-Gudas
Hagg-Brennan

And Oskar will be a HS and learn from Lehtera's play.
Uh, is Claude out?

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The whining is out in full force, we lost to a team that had a day off, at home on an extended stretch, while we played a tough game on the road the day before.
And the primary reason we lost (0ther than Raffl and Ghost getting caught on breakaways and Gudas and Voracek colliding for another) was that Luongo at 38 (.928%) is a better goalie than Mrazek.

The Florida "juggernaut" is primary the product of tanking and patience:
Barkov #2 (2013), didn't emerge until he was 21
Ekblad #1 (2014)
Huberdeau #3 (2011), didn't emerge until he was 22
Trocheck #64 (2011), didn't emerge until he was 22
Bjugstad #19 (2010), starter at 21, but has flatlined
Matheson #23 (2012), starter at 22

Even then they're not a good team without Luongo, with Reimer starting they're 16-13-5.

Nothing surprising about this game, we made some mistakes and a hot goalie shut us down.
I'm still focused on 95 points, which given our goalie play would be seriously overachieving.
Anyone who thinks you could coach this team to much more with this bottom six, bottom four, and below average goalies, please send me what you're smoking.
There's a reason Hextall wasn't trading assets at the trade deadline, he knows what he has and he knows this team is two years away - which is why it shouldn't surprise anyone if we struggle on the road against the better teams in the NHL.

By the way, does anyone still think playing Leier and Oduya is an upgrade?
A scrub is a scrub is a scrub.

TRUST THE PROCESS.

dead, what's the difference between the flyers and panthers, they can score goals and we cant, end of story. i hate trust the process, it's more like trust the bs.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
they can score goals and we cant,
been a while since i felt we were dominated like that...they just seemed to be bigger stronger faster and their forwards more skilled... they could have had more goals too. mrazek is not the answer either....his positioning is hilarious...half the time our net is wide open...its ****ing unnerving.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
But then you'll miss his humorous why-I-oughta! And the awkward silence that follows!

Clement used to have such random, hilarious things to say. Now he sounds like an organizational hack trying to sell us players we don't want. I miss Coatesy - I listen to him on the radio sometimes and quite frankly we all made fun of Coatesy but he offers more intellectual commentary than Bundy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad