GDT: #66 ⋅ ANA @ MIN ⋅ 5:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ugh

I’m hoping Carlsson comes back physically mature next year. I do not see the C material in McTavish that others see. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

Mac hasn't been himself since he first got injured. Pretty sure he's still playing through injury. For some reason Leason and Killorn aren't great matches for him like Lundy-Silf post-injury.

For this game, no one looked great except Dostal. And that's probably a testament to the Wild containing us. Their game plan was easy on defense: suffocate Terry and Mac. It worked.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What happened to Gudas?

The post-game show just shared it.

I missed the first period b/c I totally forgot it was a 5pm game. After seeing the boarding, yikes! Gudas put the breaks on about three feet from the board while hunched over, then then he got trucked into board ledge. Looks like his right clavicle paid the price.

Huh... KCOP 13 has the game tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Idk if Eakins ever gets another gig, but this season definitely hasn’t hurt those odds whatsoever

Eakins took over a team in the DEL (Germany) as its new head coach and GM. Adler Mannheim was in a downward spiral in its last 12 games before hiring Eakins, going 2-1-1-8 (0.250 pts %). Since then, he had a .500 pts % in the next 30 games, earning a 12-3-3-12 record, and into a playoff team for the play-in round as a #7 seed. They just won the play-in series, 2-0. Now, they have to face the #2 seed.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
would've rather just kept eakins. his teams came prepared to play most nights, unlike this current bunch who have already lost before the first whistle blows

there really wasn't any reason to fire him when they're still in a rebuild. the time to fire him would've been when the team improved notably from the season before and looked ready to contend for a playoff spot

• Haha
Reactions: gilfaizon

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
5cb76e27-127c-45a8-83e2-a9b4623f98c9_text.gif

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Things weren’t better under Eakins.

We have no offense. For years we have played along the boards in the offensive zone. We just move the puck around the perimeter, take a weak shot or turn the puck over.

And we can’t clear the puck out of our zone. If you can’t clear the puck it doesn’t matter who is playing because sooner or later they wear out and the other team scores.

John

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
We have been shut out this season how many times? Five? Six? That's unacceptable, especially in an era where scoring is up across the board. I'm starting to think Cronin was a really bad choice as a head coach, as much as I like him.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
would've rather just kept eakins. his teams came prepared to play most nights, unlike this current bunch who have already lost before the first whistle blows

there really wasn't any reason to fire him when they're still in a rebuild. the time to fire him would've been when the team improved notably from the season before and looked ready to contend for a playoff spot
Eakins was terrible. Its better to take a shot on someone than to sit with a coach that has clearly failed.

Cronin has had most of his star players injured for large amounts of time. He gets next year to prove he can do it with a healthy list.

Reactions: Deuce22

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ugh

I’m hoping Carlsson comes back physically mature next year. I do not see the C material in McTavish that others see. Maybe in a few years, but not now.
I last saw the potential C in McT last year. I’m not really sure anybody’s seen it this year. Given that Cronin is supposedly a “hold them responsible” type of coach, I’m baffled that McT’s potential for leadership seems to have done a 180 in the wrong direction. That worries me more than the overall lack of production the whole team has shown.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Eakins was terrible. Its better to take a shot on someone than to sit with a coach that has clearly failed.

Cronin has had most of his star players injured for large amounts of time. He gets next year to prove he can do it with a healthy list.
I agree.. PV is a stubborn person and hes filled with self pride. No way he fires HIS hire in this short span.. I truly think we will see a big trade in the offseason.. That might involve one of our young guys

I last saw the potential C in McT last year. I’m not really sure anybody’s seen it this year. Given that Cronin is supposedly a “hold them responsible” type of coach, I’m baffled that McT’s potential for leadership seems to have done a 180 in the wrong direction. That worries me more than the overall lack of production the whole team has shown.
Mac T was playing great.. He hurt his back.. Been bothering him all year..

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Mac T was playing great.. He hurt his back.. Been bothering him all year..
He’s taken a lot of bad penalties all year having nothing to do with the officiating. While not expecting him to be a Selke candidate his defense this year has reeked of don’t give a damn. None of that shows signs of leadership. Leaders might have tough times and make mistakes, but they don’t look as selfish and disengaged as he has this year.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
He’s taken a lot of bad penalties all year having nothing to do with the officiating. While not expecting him to be a Selke candidate his defense this year has reeked of don’t give a damn. None of that shows signs of leadership. Leaders might have tough times and make mistakes, but they don’t look as selfish and disengaged as he has this year.
I agree there. He is still young. I still think the players have written Cronin off after he threw them.under the bus. It's a very fked up locker room.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Look at all this wonderful growth from our young core. And all that accountability from the veterans!

Oh, what exemplary, masterful execution of a game plan!

Can't wait for next game to see more of that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I feel the same about Terry.
I think Terry will be a good A, and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t wind up a coach. I think he gets too into his head to be a C though. He is the main guy that seems to always take coaching to heart and work on what needs working on though. Got bigger, goes to the dirty areas, focuses on getting shots, took being sent to the AHL as a positive thing, etc.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think Mac playing through injuries is one of the qualities Verbeek is looking for in a captain, especially recently after seeing him in a walking boot and then play a few days later. That reflects how he hurt his back earlier in the season, played on it some, then then couldn't go anymore and had to be sat out. Not being 100% means you're probably going to induce more penalties because your body doesn't respond equally to your mind. The throwdown against Chicago also helps Mac's cause to be a potential captain.

Mac was mostly healthy all season long last year, having played 80 games. This year, he's played 56 out of 66 games and you can see there's a difference in his play when he's not healthy. Mac carried Vatrano and Strome when he was healthy. Mac can't really carry any line right now, but I know Lundy and Silf carried Mac to become more productive.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 180520.png

Mac might be trying to do too much while not being 100% in his second season. Last year, he was more of a deferring player when it came to scoring goals. This year, he got 17 goals in his 48th game whereas last year he hit 17 goals in his 80th game of the season. He also vastly improved his FO% from 42.3% to 52.6%. There is growth between the two seasons.

I don't see captain material out of any of the youths right now, which should often be the case. They're all still trying to adapt to the NHL and it might take years. Getz didn't assume captaincy until age 25. Mac recently turned 21 years old, Z is 22, Carlsson is 18, and Minty is 20. Fowler should have been named captain under normal succession, but Verbeek doesn't do normal. Terry would have been the second choice since he's signed for 7 years, but is Terry too old for Verbeek's choice?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The bad penalties, the lack of engagement, the refusal to play physical despite being one of the few guys capable of it. Maybe he'll develop a commanding and positive locker room presence but as a leader by example he stinks.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

I think Terry will be a good A, and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t wind up a coach. I think he gets too into his head to be a C though. He is the main guy that seems to always take coaching to heart and work on what needs working on though. Got bigger, goes to the dirty areas, focuses on getting shots, took being sent to the AHL as a positive thing, etc.
The difference between maturity and leadership is very clearly shown in Terry. I could see him as an excellent X's and O's assistant who makes everyone feel better after the asshole head coach is done motivating or whatever it is those guys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad