26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
:sabres vs. :sens

SABRES (19-40-5) AT SENATORS (28-23-11)

NHL.com Game Preview: Johnson to make Sabres debut in net vs. Senators
[NHL]770719[/NHL]

Season series: The Ottawa Senators have won two of three games against the Buffalo Sabres. Senators forward Bobby Ryan, who has played in two of the three games, has scored four goals, including a hat trick in a 5-2 win at Canadian Tire Centre on Dec. 29.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview: 3/6/15 at OTT
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/2: Acquired a fifth-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from Montreal in exchange for F Brian Flynn; Acquired G Chad Johnson and a third-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from NY Islanders in exchange for G Michal Neuvirth; Acquired F Jack Nevins and a seventh-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft from Montreal in exchange for F Torrey Mitchell; Acquired a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft from Minnesota in exchange for F Chris Stewart
3/3: Recalled F Jerry D’Amigo, F Mikhail Grigorenko and F Tim Schaller from Rochester (AHL)
3/4: Assigned F Mikhail Grigorenko to Rochester (AHL)
3/5: Recalled F Mikhail Grigorenko from Rochester (AHL)

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at SENATORS

This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Senators this season.
Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo, 2-1, in Buffalo on Feb. 10
The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 4-6-0 on the road.
This is the 124th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 59-47-17 series record.
The Sabres are 26-26-10 on the road against the Senators all-time.

JOHNSON EAGER FOR 1ST START FRIDAY
Grigorenko called back up; Girgensons may be done for year

By Chris Ryndak - Sabres.com (@chrisryndak)

THURSDAY’S PRACTICE
26 Matt Moulson – 84 Philip Varone – 63 Tyler Ennis
82 Marcus Foligno – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 12 Brian Gionta
44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 22 Johan Larsson – 19 Cody Hodgson
49 Jerry D’Amigo – 37 Matt Ellis – 59 Tim Schaller

61 Andre Benoit – 47 Zach Bogosian
51 Nikita Zadorov – 41 Andrej Meszaros
6 Mike Weber – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
24 Tyson Strachan

33 Chad Johnson
35 Anders Lindback

3-5: TED NOLAN ON WGR (10:32)

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like the look of the lines. Des-Larsson-Hodgson is one to watch. I'd put Schaller at center over Ellis on the 4th line though.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I like the look of the lines. Des-Larsson-Hodgson is one to watch. I'd put Schaller at center over Ellis on the 4th line though.

Yep. Except for the Des part. Seriously. Hodgson has been stuck with him so often since last season and they just don't do anything for each other. Truth is, Des doesn't do much of anything for anyone (perhaps why he's the gap-filler shuffled everywhere all season).

But Larsson-Hodgson was looking good (even when on the 5th line together ;))... Hard to tell how much is talent for Larsson and how much is youthful energy, but either way it seems to work with Hodgson.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Grigorenko wants to show he belongs
Paul Hamilton

3077494.jpg

Ottawa, ON (WGR 550)
-- Mikhail Grigorenko went to Tampa, didn’t play, rejoined the Amerks and scored a goal and then was back in Buffalo on Thursday practicing with the Sabres.

Grigorenko centered Marcus Foligno and Brian Gionta and most likely will play Friday in Ottawa since Zac Dalpe went home to take care of a family issue.

After the trade deadline Ted Nolan spoke of how this is an opportunity for players like Johan Larsson and Tim Schaller. Nolan is excited to see where Grigorenko is at in his development, “No question, last game he didn’t have a chance to play, but he had just gotten back from his injuries and said he felt OK, but after his game last night he said he felt much better, he had a little more jump in his legs.”

Grigorenko did look good in practice and Nolan noticed, “As far as practice is concerned, I thought he skated as well as I’ve seen him skate, so hopefully he’s ready.”

Gameday Journal: Game 63 - Sabres vs. Senators
The Sens capped off their 5 game road trip in Winnipeg on Wednesday night with a 3-1 win against the Jets. Kyle Turris, Bobby Ryan and Erik Condra provided the offence for the Senators while Andrew Hammond improved his record to 6-0-1 by making 35 saves to earn the decision. Don't look now but the streaking Senators are 28-23-11 through 62 games this season and currently sit in 10th place in the Eastern Conference just 4 points back of the Boston Bruins for the final playoff spot.

The Sabres travel to Ottawa after a 3-0 loss to the Lightning this past Tuesday night in Tampa Bay. Buffalo has been shutout 10 times this season and are the lowest scoring team in the NHL. Sabres goalie Anders Lindback stopped 32-35 in defeat. Buffalo currently has the fewest points of any team in the league and sports a record of 19-40-5.

The Sens are getting set for their morning skate tomorrow and I'll have plenty of updates to follow including, but not limited to, lineup changes, players' thoughts, Sens TV videos, Instagram goodness and more.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They're 6-0-1 in their last seven, but the last two games against Minnesota and Winnipeg were two back-and-forth, physical affairs, so let's hope they don't have their guard down tonight. Also, it's the dreaded first game back after a long road trip for Ottawa, but here's hoping they can get it done in regulation.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
A little off topic here, but with Hackett's play improving in Rochester. I really hope to see Murray call him up so hopefully he can get in those NHL games to keep him RFA.

Chad Johnson getting lit up tonight could help that along.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
They're 6-0-1 in their last seven, but the last two games against Minnesota and Winnipeg were two back-and-forth, physical affairs, so let's hope they don't have their guard down tonight. Also, it's the dreaded first game back after a long road trip for Ottawa, but here's hoping they can get it done in regulation.

Why is that dreaded? Are those typical let-down games? I've never heard of that being something dreaded before.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why is that dreaded? Are those typical let-down games? I've never heard of that being something dreaded before.

Just one of those hockey axioms that teams coming off long road trips tend to have a letdown game in their first game back. I'm not sure anyone has dug into whether it's true or not, but it's widely spouted by the talking heads. I'm more concerned that this is Ottawa's third game in four nights, and that was a grueling back-to-back against Minnesota and Winnipeg this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad