GDT: [#65] ★★★ You're Either Pro-Elie or You're No-Elie ★★★

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
The LA Kings got into the 8th spot a few years ago, went on to win the Cup with an incredible run, and may have gone 16-2, or something like that.

I'd bet their fans were tanking them the last month of the season, but as JJ has famously said, "Dreams do come true."

Anything is possible...with this D, a lackluster O and sketchy goalies, not to mention coaches that don't coach urgency, it does seem highly unlikely, but then again, LA "barely" got in...remember?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The LA Kings got into the 8th spot a few years ago, went on to win the Cup with an incredible run, and may have gone 16-2, or something like that.

I'd bet their fans were tanking them the last month of the season, but as JJ has famously said, "Dreams do come true."

Anything is possible...with this D, a lackluster O and sketchy goalies, not to mention coaches that don't coach urgency, it does seem highly unlikely, but then again, LA "barely" got in...remember?

JJ as in Jack Johnson?

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014

You probably mean 2011-2012 season and march 5th 2012 LA was one point away from playoff spot. Right now we are six points behind.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

I appreciate the inspirational message. But to be honest, I'm still a bit confused. Did Jack Johnson's dreams ever come true?????

Damn this is inspirational

Agreed

Go Habs Go :handclap:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I like to think Jack mother****ing Johnson's dream of being traded to Columbus instead of winning a cup did come true.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Who needs a Stanley Cup.

Jack mother ****ing Johnson was too busy helping his home country to a glorious 7th place finish at the 2012 IIHF World Championship in Finland.

That is truly what dreams are made of. #blessed

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I always liked Elie when I saw him in rookie camps and pre-season. Nice first game in the NHL. Maybe not a world beater, but seems like another Ritchie type. Certainly enough to someday make us forget Scevior, Fiddler, etc. on the lower lines.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I always liked Elie when I saw him in rookie camps and pre-season. Nice first game in the NHL. Maybe not a world beater, but seems like another Ritchie type. Certainly enough to someday make us forget Scevior, Fiddler, etc. on the lower lines.

Elie doesn't really move the needle much for me. "Energy guy" who doesn't bring physical play or drop the mitts. Not much skill to his game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Elie doesn't really move the needle much for me. "Energy guy" who doesn't bring physical play or drop the mitts. Not much skill to his game.

Lord knows the Stars have certainly needed more energy this season, which is probably why he stands out these last few games. Shore, too. I wonder if either makes last year's team?

But, either way, our future is with the yutes. Unless we can sign a few more Cracknell's for under $1M, that is what we get.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Lord knows the Stars have certainly needed more energy this season, which is probably why he stands out these last few games. Shore, too. I wonder if either makes last year's team?

But, either way, our future is with the yutes. Unless we can sign a few more Cracknell's for under $1M, that is what we get.

Shore did play on last year's team and got hurt against Tampa, and 15 goals in 23 AHL games is a pretty good indication of NHL quality. Either he was good enough to make last year's team or his major shoulder injury made him much better.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Shore did play on last year's team and got hurt against Tampa, and 15 goals in 23 AHL games is a pretty good indication of NHL quality. Either he was good enough to make last year's team or his major shoulder injury made him much better.

I'm not sure I follow. In 2015-6, Shore played 3 games, against DET, CAR and BOS, after he was called up 11-1. He looked promising after 8 goals in 9 games for Texas Stars in October. From memory, maybe it was the McKenzie injury against TB on 10-16-15 that gave him his chance?

So, no, they didn't view him as NHL material last year, but a promising tweener. He really didn't make the team, and probably needed more seasoning. He might not have been called up this year without injuries, but his AHL stats did give them hope he was an NHL player eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm not sure I follow. In 2015-6, Shore played 3 games, against DET, CAR and BOS, after he was called up 11-1. He looked promising after 8 goals in 9 games for Texas Stars in October. From memory, maybe it was the McKenzie injury against TB on 10-16-15 that gave him his chance?

So, no, they didn't view him as NHL material last year, but a promising tweener. He really didn't make the team, and probably needed more seasoning. He might not have been called up this year without injuries, but his AHL stats did give them hope he was an NHL player eventually.

My bad, it wasn't Tampa it was the Charlotte Checkers, I was confusing it with that McKenzie injury.

I just post. You wondered if either he or Elie was good enough to make last year's team. They aren't in the same category of player and there is a definitive answer because this happened in the past, so I didn't know how to answer you. If Shore is good enough now, and the only thing that happened between then and now is he hurt his shoulder, we can infer he was either good enough then or his injury caused him to improve. You asked a question, I gave you my answer and reasoning and also mixed up the injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I guess I am at a bit of a loss with your "good enough" or "not good enough" comment.

Yes, he has NHL talent, but like most players, needs experience at lower levels to be "ready" for the NHL. So, he did lose most of last season, but IMHO, he played some more AHL games, went to camp, and had a chance to work out, mature, etc., etc. Its called development and you have to figure in the time continuum.

And, then, they need a break. Last year's Stars were pretty set with vets until injuries hit, and then he got a limited chance. This year, he made the most of it, but again, only due to openings, etc. It is obviously easier for a young guy to crack a roster on a bad team than a good one, no?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I guess I am at a bit of a loss with your "good enough" or "not good enough" comment.

Yes, he has NHL talent, but like most players, needs experience at lower levels to be "ready" for the NHL. So, he did lose most of last season, but IMHO, he played some more AHL games, went to camp, and had a chance to work out, mature, etc., etc. Its called development and you have to figure in the time continuum.

And, then, they need a break. Last year's Stars were pretty set with vets until injuries hit, and then he got a limited chance. This year, he made the most of it, but again, only due to openings, etc. It is obviously easier for a young guy to crack a roster on a bad team than a good one, no?

Shore and Elie would probably be better than 4th line LW Patrick Eaves, and Nill chose not to bring back Scevior and Fiddler so that should tell you what he thinks of them vs Shore.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He thought Scevior was replaceable and Fiddler was too old and about to break down. Hockey players come, hockey players go. All worked out, with Fids back where he started.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Given these criteria, how do you describe Patrick Eaves?

Eaves has much more talent offensively than Elie.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Elie, but I'm just not that excited about him. Good chance he's not even on the roster next season after camp.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Eaves has much more talent offensively than Elie.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Elie, but I'm just not that excited about him. Good chance he's not even on the roster next season after camp.

So not an energy guy, doesn't hit, doesn't fight. And there is zero evidence he can drive offense because he didn't for years between Ottawa and Dallas, and when he got here he didn't drive any from the 4th line at all. Elie did fine with Seguin and Spezza, so that isn't really an advantage Eaves has on him. The only difference I can see is Eaves has a better shot. If this is how you want to evaluate players I'm not sure what kind of success the team will be achieving.

On a more serious note, who are these players on the roster ahead of him next season? It's hard for me to count to 14 worthwhile players without spending serious money that is better used on goalies and defensemen.

Benn Seguin Spezza
Faksa Ritchie Shore
Eakin Roussel McKenzie
Cracknell ?????????

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So not an energy guy, doesn't hit, doesn't fight. And there is zero evidence he can drive offense because he didn't for years between Ottawa and Dallas, and when he got here he didn't drive any from the 4th line at all. Elie did fine with Seguin and Spezza, so that isn't really an advantage Eaves has on him. The only difference I can see is Eaves has a better shot. If this is how you want to evaluate players I'm not sure what kind of success the team will be achieving.

On a more serious note, who are these players on the roster ahead of him next season? It's hard for me to count to 14 worthwhile players without spending serious money that is better used on goalies and defensemen.

Benn Seguin Spezza
Faksa Ritchie Shore
Eakin Roussel McKenzie
Cracknell ?????????

Eaves scored 20+ goals this season. Yes, when I talk about Eaves' offensive ability vs. Elie's, I am mostly talking about his shot. Granted, it was a career year for him, and I'm not saying that Eaves is the Great One, but that's the difference between Eaves and Elie who hasn't even been a major contributor at the AHL level yet.

Right now Ruff is giving the prospects minutes for experience and player evaluation as he goes into the offseason, but I wouldn't draw any depth chart conclusions moving forward from prospects like Elie playing with Spezza in the present...unless Elie lights it up like Christmas, but I haven't even seen him light it up like Hanukah yet in CP.

I think the Stars will be big movers and shakers in the offseason, so it's difficult to predict who makes the roster next year until we get well into the summer. Remember, we still have the Expansion Draft, the Entry Draft (where we could make trades), free agency, and the long offseason in which I expect Nill to be very active.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think the Stars will be big movers and shakers in the offseason, so it's difficult to predict who makes the roster next year until we get well into the summer. Remember, we still have the Expansion Draft, the Entry Draft (where we could make trades), free agency, and the long offseason in which I expect Nill to be very active.

Yeah, good point. Many of us may be thinking in terms of tweaking what we have, bringing up the kids, etc., but Nill may feel pressure to perform a near total overhaul and get back in contention, from TG, to keep his rep as a top GM, or of course, because that is what good GM's do with bad teams.

It would seem pretty obvious that adding a few less than elite talent rookies to this team is not going to make it a lot better.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nill may feel pressure to perform a near total overhaul and get back in contention

I think you're correct, in that Nill will be under a lot of pressure in the offseason to right the boat.

I'm VERY excited for the season to end, and to see what Nill does here.

I think we are in for a fun ride this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad