GDT: #65 – Lightning at Sabres – Sat Mar 4, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
At this point, a lot of Lehner's shootout woes are mental.

Keep getting scored on and it gets in your head that you're predestined to lose.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Sabres have a grand total of 3 goals in the shootout on 17 attempts. They're keeping pace with Lehner.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Lehner isn't just magically bad at shootouts. They emphasize the weak points of his game, not to mention his overreliance on his size.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Seriously? He lost in a shoot out. He gave up 1 goal over 65 minutes. He also made a few big time saves. Lehner was not the reason they lost.

No he kept them in it for sure, but he definitely lost it for them once they got into the shootout, and everyone knew this would play out exactly as it did. Why do you think Kane was flipping out about blowing that puck dead when they could of had a breakaway the other way. No one on this team wants it to get to a shootout, especially Lehner. At this point he's in his own head, if I'm on the other team as soon as it starts getting close I'm chirping him about how I can't wait to make it 7 and 8 shots without a save.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Sabres have a grand total of 3 goals in the shootout on 17 attempts. They're keeping pace with Lehner.

doesn't matter if they score on 1% or 99% of their chances. If the goalie is letting in 100% of shots taken, and now shots not taken but ones where momentum takes the puck in, then Sabres still lose every shootout. I imagine it's in the teams head as soon as the zamboni doors open, "we played a good game and got a point, but this is going to end up bad" they're practicing what they will say in their post game interview before the puck is placed at center ice.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
No he kept them in it for sure, but he definitely lost it for them once they got into the shootout, and everyone knew this would play out exactly as it did. Why do you think Kane was flipping out about blowing that puck dead when they could of had a breakaway the other way. No one on this team wants it to get to a shootout, especially Lehner. At this point he's in his own head, if I'm on the other team as soon as it starts getting close I'm chirping him about how I can't wait to make it 7 and 8 shots without a save.

Not to nitpick but Kane was flipping out because he was held down at the other end of the ice on the rush, not from the whistle

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010

He's terrible in the shootout, but to say he is the reason they lost is overdramatic. Lehner played well enough to win today's game, but he did not get the goal support.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
He's terrible in the shootout, but to say he is the reason they lost is overdramatic. Lehner played well enough to win today's game, but he did not get the goal support.

It's a team game no doubt. But realistically, the Sabres needed 3 goals in the shootout.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
This game reeked of "game management" from the refs. Swallowed their whistles when the Sabres went up 2 powerplays to none. Then call that soft one on Girgensons in OT (probably to make up for the fact that the Sabres had a PP in OT). Just terrible all around.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't understand why he would put Reinhart as the first shooter who's been fighting the puck all game. RoR is on fire you put him first, then eichel then Kane. I'm guessing RoR was #3 but he didn't even get a chance.

The Girgs call was definitely a penalty and an absolute moronic one at that. If Okposo was healthy he should have never even seen the ice. In ot you rotate eichel, RoR, Kane, Reinhart,okposo and gionta.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I don't understand why he would put Reinhart as the first shooter who's been fighting the puck all game. RoR is on fire you put him first, then eichel then Kane. I'm guessing RoR was #3 but he didn't even get a chance.

The Girgs call was definitely a penalty and an absolute moronic one at that. If Okposo was healthy he should have never even seen the ice. In ot you rotate eichel, RoR, Kane, Reinhart,okposo and gionta.

And why not Moulson. That's his forte.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I'm no goaltending expert, but I feel like Lehner starts shootouts super deep in his net. Shouldn't he be at the top of the paint to cut off the angle of the shot, and then back into the net as the player approaches to defend the deke? The first shootout goal was just a regular shot from pretty far out.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I've been watching the Sabres for years. Quite honestly, with not only better shootout performances, because really that hasn't been too many points this year, but just better bearing down in general in close games, this team would be in the playoffs.

Lots of injuries this year, but young guys gaining a year of experience, and just being a little more responsible/clutch in general and we're not far off.

But please GMTM, don't be afraid to be a little hard ass when negotiating Lehner's deal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
RoR and Kane spent half the 3rd period playing Harlem globetrotters against a tired Tampa Bay team and they got 0 goals to show for it. Eichel after having a great first two periods didn't do do anything in the 3rd until the last 2 minutes. Lehner makes save after save on Johnson and Drouin because our defensemen are apparently too tall to see them. But this loss is on Lehner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad