Pre-Game Talk: #64 | NY Isles @ Calgary Flames | Pre-game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Let's address the next issue. Does Weight start JF Berube tomorrow?

If I were the coach I would reluctantly start Berube tomorrow and Greiss in Edmonton.

Garth Snow really made a mess of the goaltending.

Last edited by a moderator:

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Let's address the next issue. Does Weight start JF Berube tomorrow?

If I were the coach I would reluctantly start Berube tomorrow and Greiss in Edmonton.

Garth Snow really made a mess of the goaltending.

Or you can wait until Vancouver to start Barube. Greiss played a great game last night. Why stop the momentum. I understand he should rest at some point of this trip, but if he is ready to go in Calgary, play him. We need that game.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Or you can wait until Vancouver to start Barube. Greiss played a great game last night. Why stop the momentum. I understand he should rest at some point of this trip, but if he is ready to go in Calgary, play him. We need that game.

We need every game.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I start Berube in Edmonton and Greiss against Calgary. I think the Isles can run and gun with Edmonton and possibly come out on top, while playing normal/defensive against Calgary will lead to a victory.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I go Greiss every game going forward unless it is a back to back and the opponent is not a high octane offensive team.

Which means

Berube should start:

3/13 home vs Carolina
3/25 home vs Boston if we beat Pittsburgh the night before in Pitt LOL
3/31 home vs NJ
4/8 road against NJ if the Isles are locked into the playoffs at #8 and can't go up from there

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Starting Greiss 3 times in 4 nights is the beginning of the end. You should think a backup should be good enough to play the needed games otherwise why sign him.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Starting Greiss 3 times in 4 nights is the beginning of the end. You should think a backup should be good enough to play the needed games otherwise why sign him.

It is all about pride with Snow,.. a respectable human being would eat crow, send Berube down, and get Jaro here...

There are two types of goalies in hockey

Type A - The guy who can win games for you and stand on his head

Type B - the guy who you hope can make basic saves and keep you in the game, where you pray he does not let in more than one gimme a game

Berube is Type B

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Greiss again.
Let's not forget he had about five days off before Dallas. If Berube was more reliable, I'd consider him, but he is not.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
you have to start Berube, you are going to kill Greiss and he is going to be awful down the stretch, if you are scared of starting Berube than it is time to bring up Jaro

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I go Greiss every game going forward unless it is a back to back and the opponent is not a high octane offensive team.

Which means

Berube should start:

3/13 home vs Carolina
3/25 home vs Boston if we beat Pittsburgh the night before in Pitt LOL
3/31 home vs NJ
4/8 road against NJ if the Isles are locked into the playoffs at #8 and can't go up from there

i go with this, unless something can be worked out with Jaro. obviously Snow felt that the net effect of Jaro was not good, for whatever reason. maybe something happened like Jaro telling JT to go **** himself, after an argument? we don't know. what we do know is that after Jaro went down, we started playing better. good enough for me...

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
I unfortunately think the right move is to go Berube against Calgary, I have zero confidence in him. I don't understand why halak isn't on the roster as the backup, would feel much more confident in him tomorrow.

Every game we need points at this point, so I could see them going Greiss. However, I think the right move is to go Berube, you don't want to overwork Greiss and have him playing poorly down the stretch.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Needless to say, Jaro is a much better goalie than Berube. However, I'm curious as to whether Jaro was a distraction in the locker room. The Isles' improved play coinsided with his demotion, so I'm wondering out loud if maybe it's more than Snow's ego at work here.

Either way, assuming we make the playoffs, we need to have a tandem of Greiss-Halak. I would think Jaro has a lot to prove coming back up from Bridgeport so he can get the hell off the Islanders for the last year of his contract be a starter somewhere else.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
i go with this, unless something can be worked out with Jaro. obviously Snow felt that the net effect of Jaro was not good, for whatever reason. maybe something happened like Jaro telling JT to go **** himself, after an argument? we don't know. what we do know is that after Jaro went down, we started playing better. good enough for me...

I don't know Jaro had to do something with Snow's wife perhaps.. or maybe he told Cappy his breath stunk after Cappy had some sausage and peppers between periods

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Berube is gonna have to get some time anyway. I think Weight went with Greiss last night was because we were playing a hot Chicago team. Both Edmonton and Calgary look like they're making the playoffs this year, but I think we should give JF one of those two games.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
It is all about pride with Snow,.. a respectable human being would eat crow, send Berube down, and get Jaro here...

There are two types of goalies in hockey

Type A - The guy who can win games for you and stand on his head

Type B - the guy who you hope can make basic saves and keep you in the game, where you pray he does not let in more than one gimme a game

Berube is Type B

Of course, it's not possible that Halak was legitimately an issue in terms of the team? I mean there is no reason other than Snow's pride, vegenence, and ego for sticking $4.5M in the minors at a critical position.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Needless to say, Jaro is a much better goalie than Berube. However, I'm curious as to whether Jaro was a distraction in the locker room. The Isles' improved play coinsided with his demotion, so I'm wondering out loud if maybe it's more than Snow's ego at work here.

Either way, assuming we make the playoffs, we need to have a tandem of Greiss-Halak. I would think Jaro has a lot to prove coming back up from Bridgeport so he can get the hell off the Islanders for the last year of his contract be a starter somewhere else.

The one thing that's external in this situation is CJ. He played well before going to Isles, stunk with Isles, and played well once he left. He mentioned in a story on NHL.com referencing that his time with Isles wasn't comfortable or something similar. Remember he signed a two year deal to be Greiss. Yet, he was atrocious.

This was also Halak's first time in the NHL to be a true #1 starter, yet something went wrong with CJ. There's something there when a goalie was good, stunk, then good again.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I start Berube in Edmonton and Greiss against Calgary. I think the Isles can run and gun with Edmonton and possibly come out on top, while playing normal/defensive against Calgary will lead to a victory.

i start berube in calgary and greiss in edmonton. edmonton is the better team and calgary can't hold leads for their lives.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The one thing that's external in this situation is CJ. He played well before going to Isles, stunk with Isles, and played well once he left. He mentioned in a story on NHL.com referencing that his time with Isles wasn't comfortable or something similar. Remember he signed a two year deal to be Greiss. Yet, he was atrocious.

This was also Halak's first time in the NHL to be a true #1 starter, yet something went wrong with CJ. There's something there when a goalie was good, stunk, then good again.

I think after Johnson signed his 2 year contract he took the offseason off. Then after few months of practise during the season the condition gets much better of course.
But you could be right too and if you are right Halak will be burried in B-port forever.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
i start berube in calgary and greiss in edmonton. edmonton is the better team and calgary can't hold leads for their lives.

I can understand the logic either way. I'm viewing it a little like these past two game. Play the starter against the weaker of the two teams to have a better shot at least two points. Hope you can win a barn burner in the other. Perfectly acceptable to go for the four points though by playing the better goalie against the better team.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Glad to see Greiss in tomorrow. Like another poster said, I also would rather see Berube in vs edm and hopefully its a run and gun game and we can just score more then they do. Think this is our best chance of getting 2 W's. Greiss was solid yesterday...not worried about his performance tomorrow but he will need a few games off before possible playoffs. For now he is still fresh so its fine, we have had so many breaks the last 2 months. AS break + Bye week + 4 days off just recently...Guys had enough time to rest and recharge(nutrition + conditioning + rest) in a way its nice to get all those breaks as it should give the guys enough left in the tank for this final demanding push. playoffs are usually 3 days after RS ends so they can rest again then.

Isles 2 days off or more:

March 19-20-21 (Game on 18th is @ home with 1pm start. game on 22nd @MSG)
March 28-29
April 10-? (End of season)

Last edited:

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
having your starting goalie play 3 games in less than 4 days is just begging for disaster, you are going to kill him and he is going to be needed down the stretch, and the Islanders are definetly due for a letdown especially after I am sure giving their all in the game last night

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Could Sorokin be loaned to the Isles from CSKA once their season ends? (already 5 games into the playoffs). I'm assuming there is zero motivation from CSKA to do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad