GDT: #64| New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | March 4th | 8:00pm | F/OTW 3-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The trade deadline help thread

Help find a home for our traded players!!!

Map.gif

Preview

All time series record: The Islanders lead 28-21-2. Islanders all time @ Jets are 15-9-2

The Winnipeg Jets (30-26-6) was 10 points out of the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference and mired in a season-high five-game skid when Paul Maurice replaced the fired Claude Noel as coach Jan. 12. Since then, the Jets are 11-3-1 and very much in the mix for the final playoff spot in the West.

Winnipeg has buckled down and allowed an average of 2.2 goals in the 15 games under Maurice, compared to 3.1 in 47 contests with Noel.

Ondrej Pavelec has been a big reason for that improvement, going 9-3-0 with a 2.23 goals-against average since Maurice arrived. He was 11-19-4 with 3.14 GAA with Noel behind the bench.

Pavelec, however, has a 2.90 GAA while losing four in a row against New York (23-32-8).

Ex-Islander Al Montoya made 28 saves and Ladd had one of Winnipeg's three second-period goals during a 3-2 victory on Long Island on Nov. 27.

While the Jets are making a push for the postseason, the Islanders are playing for pride and without injured star John Tavares during the final stretch of the season.

A loser in nine of 11, New York returned from the Olympic break with a 5-4 overtime victory over Toronto on Thursday, then was outscored 11-4 in losses to New Jersey and Florida. Thomas Vanek scored twice to give the Islanders a 2-0 first-period lead Sunday, but the Panthers tallied four goals in the third to rally from a 3-1 hole and win 5-3.

"We seem to find ways to lose," veteran defenseman Andrew MacDonald said. "It's tough to see games slip away. When you get the lead, you should be able to hold it, most of the time. It's discouraging."

Vanek and MacDonald are free agents after this season and could be dealt before Wednesday's trade deadline. Vanek has 17 goals and 27 assists in 47 games since New York acquired him from Buffalo in late October. MacDonald, who is three points shy of his career high of 27 set in 2010-11, has played his entire six-year career with the Islanders.

"(The trade deadline) weighs on your mind," said MacDonald, who had a goal assisted by Vanek against Winnipeg this season. "You try not to let it get to you."

Ladd has three goals in his last five games and 10 points in the past 10. He's recorded four goals with three assists in his last nine against the Islanders.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Last edited:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
General Snow Avatar, first come 1st serve, it's a good one.

Added a "Captain Cappy"

And the final "Chief Charles"

My photo shop skills are improving as well as my animated gifs, long way too go still.

Edit: Bonus points from the 2 movies and the 1 TV show these came from.

Attachments

• colonelgarth.gif
    colonelgarth.gif
    33 KB · Views: 126
  • captaincappy.gif
    captaincappy.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 122
  • chiefcharles1.gif
    chiefcharles1.gif
    33.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Unless there's an announcement today this is vanek/a-mac'sblast games as islanders.. I would probably sit them but they probably won't.

You think its cold here it's -14 in Winnipeg right now!

I'm assuming Jiggs is on tonight cause Howie never takes these trips.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Unless there's an announcement today this is vanek/a-mac'sblast games as islanders.. I would probably sit them but they probably won't.

I think Butch said that Jiggs will be doing this road trip

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

Just waiting for Vanek and/or MacDonald to get hurt tonight. It would be status quo for this team. There is absolutely no reason to play them tonight.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
IF Nabokov starts it will be one of the few games a year that we actually don't have a goaltending disadvantage!

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Oh look we are playing a team that was struggling and poof made a coaching change and now are knocking on playoffs door. LOL

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Interesting Byfuglien is back on wing..when did that happen? dont watch many Jets games at all

It happened before Claude Noel was even fired. He's been doing fairly well at forward too. Byfuglien has been too much of a defensive liability so they figured him up front would benefit the team, and it has significantly.

Could care less about this game. I've been a Jets fan on the side and I want to see them make the playoffs, and the Isles make it hard to even care.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
It happened before Claude Noel was even fired. He's been doing fairly well at forward too. Byfuglien has been too much of a defensive liability so they figured him up front would benefit the team, and it has significantly.

Could care less about this game. I've been a Jets fan on the side and I want to see them make the playoffs, and the Isles make it hard to even care.

Yeah it's probably a good choice. I remember he was really effective as a winger on that first blackhawk championship team. He is a huge power forward for sure and has a good shot so i can see why hes been doing well there

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
You don't scratch a player unless a trade is imminent.

If you are a last place team with zero to play for you do. We are not the Devils who still have playoff hope we are in Snows favorite position, the lotto. Vanek and Amac both should be dealt and any intelligent management would have them in the press box tonight. Saying that I fully expect Vanek and Amac to be part of the starting 5 for the opening faceoff.

It will be interesting if Nabby , maybe to Montreal? or Bailey or Grabner is scratched.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
If you are a last place team with zero to play for you do. We are not the Devils who still have playoff hope we are in Snows favorite position, the lotto. Vanek and Amac both should be dealt and any intelligent management would have them in the press box tonight. Saying that I fully expect Vanek and Amac to be part of the starting 5 for the opening faceoff.

It will be interesting if Nabby , maybe to Montreal? or Bailey or Grabner is scratched.

If Nabby is traded, we're 100% drafting first overall this year :help:

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
If Nabby is traded, we're 100% drafting first overall this year :help:

Does it really matter at this point? I would be happy if he is dealt. Would mean we won't re-sign him, Poulin/Nilsson could prove to Snow that they are not NHL quality goalies(it takes Snow a really long time to see the obvious), and we get a better pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad