Post-Game Talk: #64: Blue Jackets at Flyers, Saturday, March 5, 2016, aka "The Radko Gudas Show"

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I know it's a small sample size and lots can change but not many here had much faith in cousins. But man is he really killing it. He has elevated laughtons game (you could argue it's consistent game time with NHL caliber players) but for argument sake, give cousins credit, he has held his own defensively, he has given us 3 lines all capable of different scenarios and he is putting the puck in the net. Could even say he is helping read rediscover his game. He is no #1 center but he has really impressed.

And he kinda looks like McDavid so that might rub off a little extra skill
I really like that 3rd line. They complement each other really well and have great chemistry.
I hope Hakstol keeps them together.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have to say, i like Hak. Are we all in agreement here, or what?

I think by this time it was easy to see that Berube wasn't an NHL calibre coach. I think i believe Hak is.

Yep. The first ~8 games of the season were promising and showed us what he was about... then there was that awful stretch with Couturier out where they sucked for like ~10 games.

But since mid November this team has looked better night to night than they have at any point since the end of 2011-12. (2013-14 was frankly just Giroux dragging them away from the doldrums himself... whereas now the TEAM is actually playing well.)

Of course the odd crappy game here or there... but the last 3 1/2 months has been very enjoyable to watch overall.

If they can play the whole season next year like they have since mid-November they will have a good shot at being one of the top 3 in the Met.

Hakstol does have his flaws. But his system is great, the players seemingly respond to him and while he is frustrating at times with line-ups and the Hakstol line he is no-where near as bad as Berube with personal decisions. Also how many too many men have we had with him? 2-3? Compared to like the ~10+ guaranteed a season with Berube.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Radio mentioned something early in the game that Hakstol didn't want to see anyone chummy with Hartnell once players went on the ice. Said to save it for after the game. Hartnell being the object of camaraderie with not only players but staff and personnel prior to the game upon arrival to the arena.

Interesting. I like it. If these guys want to make the playoffs and win something, every game is do or die. They can't be thinking about being friends out there, it's just their team vs your team. And your team is either playing to win something or you're gonna lose.

On a side note, I didn't see Giroux much at all and he only played 15 min. He also looked pretty pissed off or at least not happy even after the win. Might've gotten chewed out or something. I have no problem keeping his ice time low when we're dominating a game like tonight, but it seemed like right from the first period he was playing 4th line shifts

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Interesting. I like it. If these guys want to make the playoffs and win something, every game is do or die. They can't be thinking about being friends out there, it's just their team vs your team. And your team is either playing to win something or you're gonna lose.

On a side note, I didn't see Giroux much at all and he only played 15 min. He also looked pretty pissed off or at least not happy even after the win. Might've gotten chewed out or something. I have no problem keeping his ice time low when we're dominating a game like tonight, but it seemed like right from the first period he was playing 4th line shifts

Whether this is related, a pregame note:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

The first line were all benched after the 2nd period pretty much.

Giroux had only 3 shifts in the 3rd, his last shift of the game came with almost 13 minutes left.

The other two had 4 shifts, Giroux would have had 4 too but Cousins drew the penalty just as Giroux was waiting to come over the boards. Schenn was only on ice 5 seconds and Simmonds 15 seconds before that penalty was drawn.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I have to say, i like Hak. Are we all in agreement here, or what?

I think by this time it was easy to see that Berube wasn't an NHL calibre coach. I think i believe Hak is.

Hak really impressed me at the STH Town Meeting on Tuesday... Clearly put me in mind of a young D!ck Vermeil... I like what he said and how he said it... he comes across cool and instills confidence just being around him... I hope the players are picking up the same feeling that I am, and that they keep the feeling for a long time. I have a feeling that he is going to have a long and successful career in the NHL... I hope Hexy has patience and he has most of that career with the Flyers.

I think that Berube was not able to draw the best out of the Players like Hak seems to be presently doing... TBF, Hak does have a better Roster o work with though... That said, Hak is still heads and shoulders above Chief even on a level plane... And I like the Chief, I just feel he is lacking in upper echelon NHL Head Coaching talents.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Hak really impressed me at the STH Town Meeting on Tuesday... Clearly put me in mind of a young D!ck Vermeil... I like what he said and how he said it... he comes across cool and instills confidence just being around him... I hope the players are picking up the same feeling that I am, and that they keep the feeling for a long time. I have a feeling that he is going to have a long and successful career in the NHL... I hope Hexy has patience and he has most of that career with the Flyers.

I think that Berube was not able to draw the best out of the Players like Hak seems to be presently doing... TBF, Hak does have a better Roster o work with though... That said, Hak is still heads and shoulders above Chief even on a level plane... And I like the Chief, I just feel he is lacking in upper echelon NHL Head Coaching talents.

I think berube was afraid of status and $$$ with players (besides l.schenn) I know Hak doesn't have final say but I would bet that he had a part in Mac going down same with gagner, sitting umberger. Hak plays what he feels is correct where as berube did what seemed morally right.

Hak also knows how to handle the kids. I mean schenn is still young and he has taken the next step, ghost, cousins are playing good hockey. Laughton is coming around and I'm sure it has to do with haks methods

Also tonight was a perfect example, he sat gs line to rest. Berube would have been too afraid someone would be mad at him

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I might be mistaken but didnt you post similar concerns about our top lines ice time during our last blowout?

I digress, the top players always get rested when the game is securely in control. Its a loonng season afterall.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
So, what the hell do they do with Gagner when Voracek is healthy? He clearly doesn't deserve to be a healthy scratch.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Move Raffl to 4th and send VV or White to the press box.

See, this would be the logical decision, but Hak's love for his line knows no boundaries. :help:

I really want VDV off this team. He's not even as awful as certain former 4th lines from this team, he's just... not good enough.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
See, this would be the logical decision, but Hak's love for his line knows no boundaries. :help:

I really want VDV off this team. He's not even as awful as certain former 4th lines from this team, he's just... not good enough.

That's my fear, Hak has not touched that line and instead of going with gagner - coots - jake and moving either read to 4th line and raffl down or raffl to 4th line he is going to sit gagner.

Gagner brings some offensive creativity we need. Vdv brings nothing but pk. We have 6 guys who can pk to replace him. Having raffl or read with PEB and white brings more offense. Read also brings superior defense too

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That was probably one of the most fun games I've ever been too.

At some point, we were just all yelling for Gudas to touch the puck, seemed like every time he touched the puck, something good happened.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
VdV isnt even good on the PK. Hes simply okay. His AHL calibre skating limits his effectiveness. White is worse on the PK but better at ES and brings other elements..

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hakstol does have his flaws. But his system is great, the players seemingly respond to him and while he is frustrating at times with line-ups and the Hakstol line he is no-where near as bad as Berube with personal decisions. Also how many too many men have we had with him? 2-3? Compared to like the ~10+ guaranteed a season with Berube.

I was just coming on to say this - it may be a small thing, but I'm almost positive we haven't had one since at least November. I've seen every game since around the sixth one, and bar the odd time I've fallen asleep, I don't remember seeing a single one of those calls against us.

The team is clearly playing hard every night. Some games and some periods they look discombobulated, but it's hard to imagine anyone getting more than he has out of this group of players. Even the Hakstol Line - it's a funny sort of optical illusion. They ARE getting played too often and at some weird times, but I bet you we are all having the same feeling, like every time we look up they are out there, and the numbers tell us that they do get subbed off occasionally :laugh:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Oh, we were. Completely in jest, but had one shot during the middle of the 3rd from the red line, and he turned and waved to the crowd, lol.

Then the Flyers actually scored, I believe it was the Cousins goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad