Prospect Info: #61 Nikita Okhotyuk D

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I like this pick a lot. Kid looks like a great athlete with some fire in his competitiveness and attitude on the ice

Wanted defense with our first pick after 1. And this kid is defensively strong

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i think there were higher upside prospects on the board...interesting pick, i guess they liked what they saw

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Don't know much about this kid, but I have enough faith in the scouting staff that they could have drafted my not-quite 2-year-old nephew and I'd be cool with the pick.

By all accounts, like ZBC said, he's physical and mobile. I dig it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I like it. Might have been bigger boom/bust guys on the board, but he seems like he has a very high floor as a defensive anchor.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Okhotyuk may play a basic, unsexy game, but he does what he does well. He clears creases, wins in the corners, clears the zone cleanly with sharp outlet passing. He is very mobile for his 6'1-195 frame and plays with punishing physicality, yet has the intelligence and discipline to rarely take minor penalties.

I've been saying for months how the Devils need to get more defensemen who play a heavy, physical, shut-down style without sacrificing the ability to move the puck up ice. Okhotyuk, Misyul, Vukojevic and McCarthy will all be key components in addressing this so that, in the future, the Devils blueline will truly be one to be reckoned with.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Okhotyuk may play a basic, unsexy game, but he does what he does well. He clears creases, wins in the corners, clears the zone cleanly with sharp outlet passing. He is very mobile for his 6'1-195 frame and plays with punishing physicality, yet has the intelligence and discipline to rarely take minor penalties.

I've been saying for months how the Devils need to get more defensemen who play a heavy, physical, shut-down style
without sacrificing the ability to move the puck up ice. Okhotyuk, Misyul, Vukojevic and McCarthy will all be key components in addressing this so that, in the future, the Devils blueline will truly be one to be reckoned with.
You and the Dev's were definitely on the same page.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I've been saying for months how the Devils need to get more defensemen who play a heavy, physical, shut-down style without sacrificing the ability to move the puck up ice. Okhotyuk, Misyul, Vukojevic and McCarthy will all be key components in addressing this so that, in the future, the Devils blueline will truly be one to be reckoned with.

This.

It's been my complaint about the team since Sal and Volchenkov moved on. I thought Santini would be the guy that would fill a Salvador role, but I wonder what happened to him and his development. Even with him, the D was too soft in front of their own net. Schneider needs guys who keep the crease clear

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
This.

It's been my complaint about the team since Sal and Volchenkov moved on. I thought Santini would be the guy that would fill a Salvador role, but I wonder what happened to him and his development. Even with him, the D was too soft in front of their own net. Schneider needs guys who keep the crease clear

Santini had some impressive hits back at BC, but I think he's always been a bit slender to play like that in the NHL. This kid as well as the other Dmen drafted today look to have much bigger frames in general.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This.

What happened to Santini is he got penalties for breathing on people and it made him timid. Just joking of course (or is it?) but it was annoying how he got penalized for the tiniest things.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I really wanted Helleson, but from the sound of it I guess this kid plays a similar, low-risk, defense-first, game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad