GDT: [#61] ★ @ Phantom of the Paradise

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well thank god the Jets suck. We gave them so many PP's and odd man rushes and they failed on pretty much all of them.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Faksa played really well against St Louis, had some nice chances.
Scratched vs Arizona, Stars play like crap
Scratched vs Boston, Stars play like crap
Many good chances tonight.

Makes U Think

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Makes U Think

Enjoy the press box food in Dallas, Radek.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

Makes U Think

My thought is the goal post has been the Stars best player today.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
5 killed penalties out of 6
2 pp goals against vs Arizona IIRC
3 against Boston
0 tonight

Faksa is a very good PK'er . He's big , a good skater , physical and he's a good faceoff man.

Fiddler on his last legs needs someone like Faksa to help him out.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Way closer than it needed to be but they probably should've lost this one. They AGAIN gave up way too many high quality chances.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Razor made an interesting comment at the end of the game, when Klinger missed the empty netter and the face off came back. Something like "some would say shooting for the net is a dumb strategy, but the Stars encourage their players to go for empty netters, even from their side of red line"

I mean, is absolutely everything Ruff tells them high risk or will they ever play it safe at all, and I mean, at all?

The jets goal with the goalie pulled was mostly the result three straight attempts of only trying to chip it out, not getting enough on it, and them keeping the puck in the zone for a long time.

I know its hard to always get it out, and just far enough to avoid icing.......so which way to they go, and what works best?

Interested in comments......

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
^ Why not go for the shot there? He didn't have room to skate and pretty much had to dump it one way or another. Might as well take a shot at the net and try to end it.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, the obvious of avoiding icing and keeping your tired bunch on the ice for another D zone faceoff. Both Klinger (and even more so, Jamie) had room to angle one off the boards, which should have killed puck momentum well before icing. Of course, Jamie also had the space and time to take pretty careful aim.

And, that's the thing, hockey players have to make those decisions very fast, so when they miss, its easy to criticize than do. It was just interesting that Ruff coaches them to take those chances. With a different instruction set, maybe both of those plays get angled off the boards for a change.

Wonder if Ruff has looked at any statistics on that to guide his belief? Or if somewhere higher, management had decided that advertising the highest scoring team in hockey sold more tickets than a boring one, even if it cost a few wins?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Was it just me or did Benn looked somewhat unmotivated and not really giving it all? Granted he had a good game, statistically, but still..

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Heika mentioned it, saying he took a hit early and looked a little labored skating, maybe a direct hit to his surgically repaired hip.

But, if uninterested nets two goals, I will take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad