GDT: [#60] Thank You for Giving Us Tyler Seguin ★ 7 PM CST ★ FSSW ★

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I really hope Nill finds a way to fix our defense permanently in the offeseason. Our goaltenders sucks too but nothing we can do about that anytime soon. Both are so hit , miss and meh .

Kari deserved to start after Niemi laying an egg in Arizone and i personally don't think he was at fault for the loss but he wasn't good either.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
The problem tonight wasn't Kari, just like it wasn't Niemi's fault we lost to the coyotes. All our skaters went to sleep after the first period/we took the lead vs Arizona.

There's trouble ahead if we fold like tonight whenever we get a lead.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The problem tonight wasn't Kari, just like it wasn't Niemi's fault we lost to the coyotes. All our skaters went to sleep after the first period/we took the lead vs Arizona.

There's trouble ahead if we fold like tonight whenever we get a lead.

Its not when we get a lead its when things go wrong after we got a lead. Stars get scored on via taking a Penalty , making mistakes , a bad bounce whatever and the whole team just falls apart. They stop doing what they did to get the lead and just go into fetal position and get destroyed.

Last edited:

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
It's the little things that add up and keep killing us. Off the top of my head, it is the inability to clear the puck out of the zone when we're within 5 feet of the blueline (Eakin had some terrible ones), constantly icing the puck trying for stretch passes (make the easy play?), and poor defensive pinches.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Consecutive 6 and 7-3 losses seems more than little things.

For some reason, I recall the 2000 team getting plastered by the Wild 6-0. Team meeting, players only, and they righted the ship pronto.

Somehow, I haven't heard of any players only meetings like that this year. Do we need one? Is Benn leading? Should Nill shake up the roster, even a little, at TDL? Ruff go nuts once in a while?

But, mostly, I want to hear of a players only meeting, since they are the ones who have to take responsibility. In all those non playoff years, I recall all the right things being said, "We can't play like this....We have to figure this out......" I am hearing a lot of the same now, but little conviction on the ice.

Seems like that confidence, said to be fragile last year, but better this year, is waning.

Related, but those bounces that all went our way are going the other way more often than not these days.

Wish I had a solution. I am sure they don't need me to point out their problems.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Chicago got smoke today by Minnesota, 6-1. Losses, big losses, happen to all teams. I know Dallas has lost 3 straight, but they are still tops in the west. Even after the big slump last month, and now this little one, (let's hope it's little) Dallas still has the best western record, and only "1" team in the East has a better one so far. This means that no matter what slump Dallas encounters, "all" the other teams have bigger ones! Also, when Dallas loses, it's usually due to defensive or special teams breakdowns. The Stars still usually puts 2 or 3 + goals on the board even in losses, and again, that's usually.
Yep, I'm tired of defensive breakdowns and goalies melting, but I'm reminding myself that my favorite team is still killer! All others are eating the Star-dust!

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It's the little things that add up and keep killing us. Off the top of my head, it is the inability to clear the puck out of the zone when we're within 5 feet of the blueline (Eakin had some terrible ones), constantly icing the puck trying for stretch passes (make the easy play?), and poor defensive pinches.

In response to the post just above, yes I agree we (me) may be over reacting, but it is two slumps in a row, separated by a win streak. Going back to "99 (since we are all really talking about whether we are a Cup contender, aren't we?) Stars didn't lose two in a row (IIRC) and that was a goal for the Stars this year. They know that the key to being good is avoid losing streaks. Getting one point out of the STL game, when dead tired against a good team was an example of that kind of attitude.

Following up with 2 blow out losses is not. Will be interesting to see what Chicago does in the next game. Yes, I may be overly worried, but for 6 years, we never had the fire to stop losing, kept making the same mistakes over and over. To the degree that this creeps into the current Stars, I worry. Just like watching the Cowboys or any football team. In reality, the holding calls, other penalties at the wrong time bad play calling, inability to get a 3rd and 1, etc. are all indicative of a poor team - yes things do happen, but if they happen often enough, there is a reason besides mojo.

Yes, I know I sound like a typical fan. But, all i was asking for is Benn to call a players only meeting and show some real fire about not losing.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
This game sucked, the Arizona game sucked, but it happens. By and large, this team has shown an incredible amount of resiliency and they have given me very little reason to doubt their ability to bounce back.

Stars are 37-17-6, they'll be fine.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This game sucked, the Arizona game sucked, but it happens. By and large, this team has shown an incredible amount of resiliency and they have given me very little reason to doubt their ability to bounce back.

Stars are 37-17-6, they'll be fine.

Yep. I'm not worried - its a bad stretch, and this team is still learning how to be successful. We're not just going to go from missing the playoffs to a Stanley Cup (although I'd love to be wrong).

The team's been amazing this year - best hockey I've seen us play over a prolonged stretch since the '08 playoffs.

We've got a lot to be excited about not just for the rest of this year, but for years to come as well. I think stepping back and looking at the big picture is a good idea every once in a while, even just to see how far we've come in the last 6 months.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
In response to the post just above, yes I agree we (me) may be over reacting, but it is two slumps in a row, separated by a win streak. Going back to "99 (since we are all really talking about whether we are a Cup contender, aren't we?) Stars didn't lose two in a row (IIRC) and that was a goal for the Stars this year. They know that the key to being good is avoid losing streaks. Getting one point out of the STL game, when dead tired against a good team was an example of that kind of attitude.

Following up with 2 blow out losses is not. Will be interesting to see what Chicago does in the next game. Yes, I may be overly worried, but for 6 years, we never had the fire to stop losing, kept making the same mistakes over and over. To the degree that this creeps into the current Stars, I worry. Just like watching the Cowboys or any football team. In reality, the holding calls, other penalties at the wrong time bad play calling, inability to get a 3rd and 1, etc. are all indicative of a poor team - yes things do happen, but if they happen often enough, there is a reason besides mojo.

Yes, I know I sound like a typical fan. But, all i was asking for is Benn to call a players only meeting and show some real fire about not losing.

I think the players only meeting are overrated. The coaching staff is part of the team. As long as the coaches and the players are on the same page then I don't see a point in a players only meeting.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
Player's only meeting, coaches meetings, team meetings, whatever it takes to get the specified "D" coach to instruct his D-men to "not" allow opposing players to stand in front of our goalie. I cannot believe how often they are left unattended. The only explanation is that players must be chasing pucks and playing a patch of ice instead of keying on opponents creating a wall in front of Kari or Antii, or is it Antti? I always have to look it up. The Stars are still kicking tail overall, but we need a win streak to fortify momentum and confidence again...mostly for the fans!

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think the players only meeting are overrated. The coaching staff is part of the team. As long as the coaches and the players are on the same page then I don't see a point in a players only meeting.

I remember those bankruptcy era Stars holding a lot of players-only meetings. It never helped in the standings.

chaoskid38

Jan 30, 2016
Boise,Idaho
what a crap game

We traveled to the game from Idaho to finally see our Stars in a home game(went to Denver last year to see them lose to the Av's). We love our Stars, but this was a tough one to watch. The first period was awesome and I thought we were on our way to a victory over our oldest sons favorite team(our youngest is a Red Wings fan....lol...house divided 3 ways). I still can't figure out WTF happened. It seems everytime we get a 2 goal or more lead we just stop playing the hard attacking game that got us there. Why? We have to play smart and go FULL THROTTLE the whole game. We have a golden opportunity to go a long way this year....PLEASE DONT BLOW IT!!!! By the way...absolutely beautiful arena!! We had a blast, even with the loss. Even got a picture with Jim Nill!!! GO STARS!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad