News Article: 6 Senators Who Could Be Moved at the NHL Trade Deadline

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Rumours are rampant in Bytown that the Ottawa Senators could be making some big trades leading up to the March 8 NHL trade deadline. The team’s president of hockey operations and general manager (GM), Steve Staios promised as much early in the new year. Speaking to The Jason Gregor Show (Staios interview starts at 1:07:50) on Edmonton’s Sports 1440 on Jan. 5, Staios said he’d “like to add a veteran player if he could” before the trade deadline.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Patrick

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1707308611270.png

1707308544832.png

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't buy the Chabot and Norris inclusions. Kubalik (if he can even be moved), Tarasenko & Brannstrom seem the most likely.

I'd put Chychrun as the next most likely possibility, but I still feel like that waits to the summer and isn't decided yet if he stays or goes.

Would love it if they're able to move a goalie contract, but I highly doubt that, and don't want to take it on the chin with dead cap.

I'm gonna throw in Kastelic and Hamonic as wild cards I could see getting dealt for depth somewhere else. I don't think Kastelic will be back next year either way. Hamonic would have to end up somewhere close to waive, so maybe TO or NYI or something. Just a guess.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't buy the Chabot and Norris inclusions. Kubalik (if he can even be moved), Tarasenko & Brannstrom seem the most likely.

I'd put Chychrun as the next most likely possibility, but I still feel like that waits to the summer and isn't decided yet if he stays or goes.

Would love it if they're able to move a goalie contract, but I highly doubt that, and don't want to take it on the chin with dead cap.

I'm gonna throw in Kastelic and Hamonic as wild cards I could see getting dealt for depth somewhere else. I don't think Kastelic will be back next year either way. Hamonic would have to end up somewhere close to waive, so maybe TO or NYI or something. Just a guess.
I'm not so sure about this source - The Hockey Writers.

I found this in the Norris paragraph:

"In 40 games, he has registered just 12 goals putting him on track for 20 goals on the season."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

"In 40 games, he has registered just 12 goals putting him on track for 20 goals on the season."
He's not a source, he's just writing an opinion piece.

No rumors or info, just one fans opinion, no different than me or you writing an opinion piece

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

No rumors or info, just one fans opinion, no different than me or you writing an opinion piece
Ya, some hard hitting stuff for sure.

It will be an interesting deadline this year. What Calgary does should provide some entertainment at least.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Coaching too... There's a reason why even support/depth players look good on a team like Boston.

There's an astounding difference in metrics for all the 4th line guys under DJ and since January
I believe it. The 4th line looks like a completely different set of players out there under Martin and Alfie.

Parker Kelly has been great. MacEwan has contributed and been more effective.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I believe it. The 4th line looks like a completely different set of players out there under Martin and Alfie.

Parker Kelly has been great. MacEwan has contributed and been more effective.
Those guys like playing in the NHL and are not too good to listen.
I have liked MacKewan's game when he got back in the lineup. He helps the 4th line with his speed to get in on the forecheck and he battles hard.
We will need space for Forsberg... Mackewen could be a casualty but assuming we can't move Kubalik yet.. I would send him down. He does little to help any line. Likely not what happens but If Kubalik doesn't clear bonus , and if he does clear we may be able to move him seeing as he would not have to clear on the acquiring team.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Those guys like playing in the NHL and are not too good to listen.
I have liked MacKewan's game when he got back in the lineup. He helps the 4th line with his speed to get in on the forecheck and he battles hard.
We will need space for Forsberg... Mackewen could be a casualty but assuming we can't move Kubalik yet.. I would send him down. He does little to help any line. Likely not what happens but If Kubalik doesn't clear bonus , and if he does clear we may be able to move him seeing as he would not have to clear on the acquiring team.
Agreed. They just needed proper direction and motivation it looks like. They seem to play a more simple hard nosed north south game now too, which is what I like to see out of a 4th line. Get on the ice and have pace for 30-40 seconds and get off. Throw the body and pot a few here or there.

Time to send the right message I think, so I'd say you're right about Kubalik being the right casualty.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think we can get a top 16 protected 1st for a half-retained Tarasenko. Loads of teams could use a vet winger that can score and isn't a defensive liability. A team like Carolina might want to go all in this year while they still have Pesce at a reasonable deal. We could easily get a 1st from them or a 2nd and a decent prospect like Gunler or Nadeau

Brannstrom isn't chopped liver, he has value and on a team with meh D depth, he can have an opportunity to shine where he won't here as long as we have 2 of Chychrun, Chabot and Sandy. Coyotes, Preds, Quacks, etc., Even if its a 3rd or a 2nd, there's another asset.

Get what you can for Kubalik (especially at half retained). There might be a injury ridden team that could think he's some depth for a 6th or a 5th). Maybe see if Holland wants to go all in and might consider Kubalik worth the add.

We gotta move one of Chabot or Chychrun. Having either one of them as 3LD is a waste and Chychrun isn't a good enough RD to be moved there. Idgaf who they pick (both are #2 guys at best), but I hope we get full value for them. A 1st and solid roster player with upside at the least for each.

Trade Norris, not because he can't bounce back, but we can't afford to wait for him to bounce back when he costs almost $8 million. No rush though, keep him and let the season flow so we get another top 5 pick.

If someone wants Hamonic for even future considerations, move him. Can't afford to have a player so slow and bad at the game of hockey. F*** vet presence, prioritize good players.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

OK. I was just pointing out the author's math was weird. Maybe I should have used the word "author" versus source?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Yeah if he’s scored 12 in 40, that’s .3 gpg, so with 35 games left, another 10-11 would fit the pace (I assume he has played 40?)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I'm not saying Norris should be kept at all costs, but what a disingenuous take on him. Paid too much for a 20 goal scorer!! Ok...are there any extenuating circumstances to the 20 goals this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad