News Article: 6 reasonable reactions to Drew Doughty’s free agency comments

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The last thing he cares about is Cups. He already won 2 and won the Norris. Dude is looking to get paid. Once he gets his payday, don't be surprised to see him start lazing. And don't be surprised if he breaks his career highs on his contract year.

Not worth more than $8 million, I'd be hesitant to pay him more than $7.

Only defenseman I'd want to pay $9 is Hedman.

Funny post, stating your opinion like it is fact is always a win. Funny thing about A type athlete personalities, winning is a thing to them. They have been brainwashed since childhood that winning is everything, that doesn't just end because you say so. Now you may prove right but fact is you are guessing.

Not wanting to pay one of the best D in the game anything over 7mil suggests you either do not like Doughty and just don't want him, or you are just not very realistic.

To me getting him is a no brainer if the money can be made to work and he does indeed want to come home. We basically would be upgrading Hainsey for 5-7mil. Should be doable.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And we wonder why players are normally so robotic and scripted, any real sentiment expressed is overblown, digested, disseminated and hyped. The media should stop complaining about boring answers, it's a learned response, based on their behaviour.

Reactions: Jozay

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
So you think our homegrown drafted guys would each take a small cut less to have a franchise D man. So thats franchise center and D man and 2 wingers even if we lost 1 due to it. These guys are hockey fiends they know hoe hard these kind of players are to come by. A guy like karlsson or drew would vastly increase your chances at a cup (s)

In addition a guy like hainsey im sure has cemented that. It took him his whole career and the chance to win with either of those 2 big D increases so much.

Matthews..wanna win several cups in several yrs take a bit less so we can sign doughty ditto x2 for marner and willie

Easy sell and Lou is a magician

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Funny post, stating your opinion like it is fact is always a win. Funny thing about A type athlete personalities, winning is a thing to them. They have been brainwashed since childhood that winning is everything, that doesn't just end because you say so. Now you may prove right but fact is you are guessing.

Not wanting to pay one of the best D in the game anything over 7mil suggests you either do not like Doughty and just don't want him, or you are just not very realistic.

To me getting him is a no brainer if the money can be made to work and he does indeed want to come home. We basically would be upgrading Hainsey for 5-7mil. Should be doable.

Well while I’d likely be in favour of perusing a free agent Doughty I do also think it’s a legit concern to wonder if a 35-37 year old version of him will be worth to close to 10+ million in terms of on ice impact.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Well while I’d likely be in favour of perusing a free agent Doughty I do also think it’s a legit concern to wonder if a 35-37 year old version of him will be worth to close to 10+ million in terms of on ice impact.
This is the downside to free agency. Of course if we won a Cup or two who cares? If we don't...that is a problem.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs Sign Doughty, Tavares, and Karlsson to 3 million dollar contracts over 7 years, and give them MLSE shares :sarcasm:

Grundstrom - Matthews - Nylander
VanRiemsdyk - Tavares - Marner
Kapannen - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Soshnikov - - Gauthier - - Hyman

Rielly - - - Doughty
Dermott - Karlsson
______ - Liljegren
(Zaitsev or Gardiner)

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's a couple years away from being a FA.

Im not gonna think about Doughty too much until he's a couple weeks away from being a FA.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
I would make any roster adjustment necessary (save for losing Matthews obv) to snag EK. He might be the best player in the league.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sounds like Drew and Erik are going to go to the same team. Thinking about Rangers.
It would actually be scary that if Islanders begin to struggle and JT do sign a ONE year deal with the Leafs for next year. Some team with huge cap room could possible signs JT, Drew and Erik on July 1, 2019.
Think Drew will stay put, JT might head to SJ and Erik will be playing in Vegas.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Drew is doing what every agent has done for the last 50 years, use the threat of going to a big ticket, deep pocket team in a hockey mad city as leverage. Yes every team has a cap and yes every team has a limit on what they can spend but...

1) Sponsorship $$$ would be much greater for Drew in Toronto than in LA so he has the opportunity to make much more side money in Toronto than LA, he knows this and wants LA to know it too.

2) The Nationial news media is mostly in Toronto, what city gives you more national exposure than Toronto? None.

3) By openly negotiating in public he is giving LA timeto move cap dollars so they can fit his big new contract under the cap.

4) Would you want to work in LA or Toronto? Sun, beautiful women, beaches or Toronto?

This is no more than Drew using leverage against LA to get the most for his retirement contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad