6 pts in 21 games for Berggren...no goals??

Octopus

May 17, 2006
This young man was touted to be the steal of the draft last year. I know its early after having been drafted but given the progress of other Wings top picks the past few years, I’m surprised this kid can’t find the back of the net this year. He was a highlight real sensation last year. Is he a nursing an injury? Anyone know whats going on ?

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
This young man was touted to be the steal of the draft last year. I know its early after having been drafted but given the progress of other Wings top picks the past few years, I’m surprised this kid can’t find the back of the net this year. He was a highlight real sensation last year. Is he a nursing an injury? Anyone know whats going on ?
He had no points in 10 games with Skelleftia AIK in the SHL last year. Those highlight reels were all while playing with juniors.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, jump from juniors to pro level.

95% of hockeyplayers will struggle on that point. This is a small kid and will be a longer project.

- Berggren was compared to Viktor Arvidsson.
- Arvidsson was great scorer at junior level like Berggren.
- Arvidsson debuted in SEL as 19-year old and scored 0+0 in 4 games. Berggren will turn 19 at next summer.
- Arvidsson wasn't even drafted until he was 21-year old.
- Arvidsson debuted in NHL as 22-year old, and scored 0+0 points in 6 games.
- As 23-year old, Arvidsson became NHL regular.

That's 5 years from where Berggren is now. That's what the physical development usually takes in these cases. Like Nyquist/Tatar etc.

If he makes it any faster, then great.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Undersized 18 year old playing on a pretty bad pro team. Ideally he'd be in juniors tbh. He's a good prospect, but was probably a bit overhyped at the draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
he has everything to be great player . Question is he like to be one , is he working hard to become one?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Looks like he put on a ton of weight tho...

19c2277af855dee68ec78251a46c188b.png

Sorry, I have 2 young kids. I know more about this movie than I'll ever know about the draft.

Reactions: TheMule93

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Red Wings' top prospects: Some flourishing, some struggling mid-season

UPDATE:

Jonatan Berggren, RW, Skelleftea AIK (Sweden)
GP:
16, G: 0, A: 3, PT: 3
Drafted: 33rd in 2018

Berggren got off to a rough start. He tweaked his back and played hurt for a while. Now he's in the early stages of rehab and out about a month.
"He's a good skater with quick edges, very good skill with the puck, good playmaking ability," Horcoff said. "I think at this point he wants to pass more than he wants to shoot. We'd like to change that to become more of a dual threat. We think he has the ability to do that. He's raw but has good high-end skill."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That scouting report sounds a lot like Nyquist, ironically enough lol.

But I'm not super worried about him. The skating + skill + smarts it here. Might just have to "bake in the oven" for longer than I was originally thinking.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't know that back problem, that it happened earlier than those other injury reports and he tried to play through it.

No wonder he didn't produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad