WC: 6-8 team Euro soccer stadium league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryzga lol*

Perhaps this thread can be merged with the Soccer stadium game in Germany thread.

Just a random thought about the US-Germany game.

Ideas of a European rebel league are usually dismissed as being impossible or a distant second to the NHL (like the KHL). But what if the outdoor game in Germany was profitable and enjoyable enough that if a 6 to 8 team national Euro league were to be created, they could pull off a 15 to 20 game sold-out home schedule? Was the game a mess logistically? Or are they used to these crowds in winter?

You could have teams in the biggest soccer stadiums across Europe, playing in a league that starts in November and ends in April (like most Elite leagues). There must be giant stadiums in the suburbs of Stockholm, Helsinki, Moscow, Prague, Bratislava?, Bern? (maybe no 76-thousand seaters, but big). Are big dome stadiums rare in these other countries? Could even Latvia, Belarus, Norway, Denmark, England and France pull off something this big?

Would bigger stars enjoy playing in a league this? Could they pay for them? Could it be an IHF league where you have to play for your country, or would it just be like the elite league format, but only 1 or 2 teams per country?

Also, with economical fears as of late, I don't know if anyone would want to take up the task and put money into a league like this. I don't really agree with this idea, but it's something I thought of and wondered what some members here to say about it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not gonna work. It was sold out because it was a one-time event and the German national team. Hockey fans from all over the country wanted to be part of it because that very character. It probably would not work twice a year with the prospect of it happening on a yearly basis, let alone 10+ times, with the national team, let alone club teams.

teurasjate

Jan 19, 2009
We don't have dome stadiums in Finland. In fact we only have ONE real stadium (capacity ~40k)

fuechsken

Sep 19, 2009
Mannheim, Germany
As Viper said, this wouldn't work. Just take a look at the attendance in the German DEL and you get a feeling of how outstanding yesterday's attendance was for German hockey. They wouldn't even come close to 77,000 people again even if they played one game every two years. And I can not imagine that it would be any different in other European countries.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Attendance yesterday came down to game being pushed really hard by the media and it being a one time event. To be honest people many people attending yesterday did it to watch a hockey game but to be part of such an event. Hockey is not a game you can watch in such a big stadium, because Puck is just too small.

As far as I know there are only 2 other dome Stadiums in Europe with similar capacity Duesseldorf and Amsterdam.

Given the success of the game I think that we will see this type of games in the future again.

crabcz

Sep 17, 2007
Prague
Well, the biggest (maintained) soccer stadium in the Czechia has ~20k. It's not much better in Slovakia. It's not really viable to build big stadiums here. It'd be sold out once a year. Hell, they have troubles selling out the ~20k stadiums most of the time.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think it could be an annual event with the host team playing the first game of the tournament in a stadium, but a league of 15-20 games, I don't think so.

Pioneer13

Feb 17, 2005
North Como
Plus they are playing soccer (football) in these stadiums from Nov - April. Not like basketball where you lay a court over the ice, these leagues are on grass

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Plus they are playing soccer (football) in these stadiums from Nov - April. Not like basketball where you lay a court over the ice, these leagues are on grass

More like from August - May (sometimes even June). It did just fit into the timetable, because the season here ends pretty early because of the FIFA World Cup, and Schalke had their last game away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad