GDT: 6/15/22 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Colorado [SCF GAME 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The D has to force Colorado to dump and chase, with the proper support of the other D and one of the forwards, this can really take away alot of Colorados game.

We are backing up way too much and letting them use their speed for easy zone entries. They need to be better in the NZ and at the blue line and take the body, not just poke their stick out.

I'm not saying the just stand flat footed and wait cause they will get beat by the speed factor but just like the Toronto series the D is backing up all the way to Vasys crease

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Not sure if a transition speed contest is the best tactic to beat the avs...

How many turnovers avoided with a little more patience :rolleyes:
This. When our game is at its best, our exits have to be clean. Games 3-6 last round and the entire 2nd round were d to d and out. Forward on the half wall didn't treat the puck like a grenade either. The odd turnover was there, and always will be, but last night was an atrocity. Hedman and Sergachev in particular gave up the puck resulting in goals.

Whether it's a forward looping lower for support or the winger on the half wall, it needs to be better. Exits were essentially a 3v2 for the Avs to scoop up every other shift. We did very little to test their defense cause they neutered our offense in our zone. Credit to them, but we have another ECF game 1 and 2 on our hands. We can play much better.

I'm hoping Vasy got the horrible goals out of his system. We don't need to be goalied by Darcy f***ing Kuemper.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I don't like the realistic attitude bordering on optimism by everyone here! That's me, @Master P and a few others job. It's making me question my outlook. Everyone else needs to panic!

That said, I actually feel as good or better about this series after the first game.
1) I was expecting a loss. Bolts almost always play their worst hockey at the beginning of a series
2) Officials hosed them bad last night
3) Vasi was in poor form and that won't continue
4) Bolts were able to contain the Av's speed for the most part and will continue to make adjustments

Things that worry me:
1) Elevation and their tired looking play in the 3rd last night
2) Colorado will also make adjustments obviously
3) Is Hedman dealing with something following the head shot in game 7?
4) 2 days off before next game

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It's one thing to respect your opponent but it's another thing to give them acres of space on your half of the ice. I didn't listen to Phil and Dave last night but I would imagine Phil probably found our defense poor in gap control. We backed off way too much. It felt like the Toronto series on each rush. It's been said in the thread and now with Bednars statements (that was not so genius to say...I would have just kept that coaches note to myself but then again he's an NHL coach and I'm not) that their offense mimicked what we saw from Toronto. We gave the blueline up quite easily. Too much stick checking and swiping. Avs aren't just built with offensive minded players. A lot of two way and intelligent players on their roster. Paradox here, but the easiest yet most demanding way to break up an attack like that is match them tighter, almost man to man and play the body. We let them off the hook there. We hit, but we needed to slow down the puck carrier by playing the body. Lack of support after doing so negates stepping up.

If our beat reporters and fans can see it, so can Cooper and the staff. I trust them to make adjustments and relay the message. Colorado will definitely do the same though their adjustments really shouldn't be much. Continue to pounce and force turnovers. They're faster and if they trust their "process," they can win this. I would be much more comfortable with a game 2 win. I doubted our boys last round down 0-2, but needless to say the Avs are not the rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad