• Lee Stempniak

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
#1- Jamie Benn (5th round picks ranking since 2000 #1)
#2- Connor Hellebuyck (5th round picks ranking since 2000 #2)
#3-
#4-
#5-
#6-

We are only looking at their NHL careers, of course. Who would you pick BPA (Best Player Available) ???

Don't pick based on your team needs, etc. Pick on who is better at hockey and what they have done at the NHL level. But for some guys (like Kaprizov, Garland, Terry, etc), what you project them to do.

Please make your suggestions or let me know if there's a mistake or an omission

Players left to add :

Yegor Sharangovich
Colin Miller
Cal Petersen
Kevin Bieksa
Darren Helm
Alexander Kerfoot
Matt Martin
Petr Mrazek
Andrew Shaw
Oskar Lindblom
Sean Kuraly
Will Butcher
James Wisniewski
Travis Moen
Adam Gaudette
Ryan Reaves
Ben Hutton
Kris Versteeg
John-Michael Liles
Mikhail Grabovski
Kyle Wellwood
Marcus Krüger
Nathan Gerbe
Matt Hendricks
Brad Richardson
Dominik Simon
Matt Calvert
John Mitchell
Michael Ferland
Nigel Dawes
Cody McCormick
Greg Zanon
Anders Bjork
Mark Borowiecki

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see the argument for Kaprizov here. But i'll go with Klingberg, on the premise that i think he was probably the better "pick". The real "darkhorse come good" sort of story. With Kaprizov, a big factor in where he fell in the draft was "The Russian Factor". He's arguably the better player as a 5th round pick, but probably not quite as special of a pick per se. Just scooping up a talented Russian who other teams passed over due to concerns about his commitment to North America. Which ultimately proved somewhat credible, in his later entry into the NHL.

I also don't know that it's as stark a contrast between the two straight up, as players. Klingberg offers a pretty potent brand of offensive catalyst from the back end. That comes at a huge premium in today's NHL. I think Kaprizov is still the better/more valuable piece overall, but it's not actually that far off imo.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I can see the argument for Kaprizov here. But i'll go with Klingberg, on the premise that i think he was probably the better "pick". The real "darkhorse come good" sort of story. With Kaprizov, a big factor in where he fell in the draft was "The Russian Factor". He's arguably the better player as a 5th round pick, but probably not quite as special of a pick per se. Just scooping up a talented Russian who other teams passed over due to concerns about his commitment to North America. Which ultimately proved somewhat credible, in his later entry into the NHL.

I also don't know that it's as stark a contrast between the two straight up, as players. Klingberg offers a pretty potent brand of offensive catalyst from the back end. That comes at a huge premium in today's NHL. I think Kaprizov is still the better/more valuable piece overall, but it's not actually that far off imo.
I personally don’t view these polls with external factors in mind. Those conditions can be said about a lot of different players/draft picks. Maybe some people have these in mind but I think it’s pretty straight forward, who is the best players in these rounds; not what a GM of any team should have kept in mind during that draft year imo

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I understand Jamie Benn, but Hellebuyck as the better pick than Kaprizov? Does it mean that all these people would trade Kaprizov for Hellebuyck?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No, it had a lot more to do with him playing in Siberia and barely anybody scouting him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Don't overthink this, it's about who is the BPA when all is said and done. It means that for some players you'll need to project their career a bit. Kaprizov came to the league older than others but he is still just 24 years old. If he doesn't get derailed by injuries, I think he ends the best player on this list, maybe after Benn who might end up with more longevity

I think it’s pretty straight forward, who is the best players in these rounds

Yes, no specific context. Just who is better at hockey and finish with the best career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad