Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
#1 -
#2 -
#3-
#4-
#5-
#6-

We are only looking at their NHL careers, of course. Who would you pick BPA (Best Player Available) ???

Don't pick based on your team needs, etc. Pick on who is better at hockey and what they have done at the NHL level. But for some guys (like Kaprizov, Garland, Terry, etc), what you project them to do.

Please make your suggestions or let me know if there's a mistake or an omission

Players left to add :

Petr Mrazek
Andrew Shaw
Oskar Lindblom
Sean Kuraly
Will Butcher
James Wisniewski
Travis Moen
Adam Gaudette
Ryan Reaves
Ben Hutton
Kris Versteeg
John-Michael Liles
Mikhail Grabovski
Kyle Wellwood
Marcus Krüger
Nathan Gerbe
Matt Hendricks
Brad Richardson
Dominik Simon
Matt Calvert
John Mitchell
Michael Ferland
Nigel Dawes
Cody McCormick
Greg Zanon
Anders Bjork
Mark Borowiecki

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Benn won the Hart (in an admittedly down year). I could see Kaprizov or Helle passing him, but he's still on top for me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is finally getting interesting here with lots of good choices.

Voted Benn - hesitated with Hellebuyck too - but no. Kaprizov in-time maybe could raise to #1, but I doubt it, and even if there's no way he's worth taking #1 now.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is hard because Benn had a great career but Kaprizov is already over PPG and looks like he'll be for several years. However, he's already 24 so it depends how long he'll be able to stay prime. I'll bet on him but it wasn't easy

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You are correct, my memory is failing. Still the biggest accomplishment.

Hellebuyck won the Vezina, and finished top 3 a 2nd time, and can start 60+ games a year, one of the last true starting goaltenders left, I think that's more valuable personally but it's debatable.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This is finally getting interesting here with lots of good choices.

Voted Benn - hesitated with Hellebuyck too - but no. Kaprizov in-time maybe could raise to #1, but I doubt it, and even if there's no way he's worth taking #1 now.

Only if you are looking at what someone has done vs what you think of someone's potential. Which is fair, but I predict in 10 years we'll look back and say that he is on top of that list....so I think he's worth taking #1.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Only if you are looking at what someone has done vs what you think of someone's potential. Which is fair, but I predict in 10 years we'll look back and say that he is on top of that list....so I think he's worth taking #1.

I think simply matching Benns best is already a super high bar he probably won't reach.

But even if you disagree - another big negative is he only joined the NHL at age 23. I think that works against him in a redraft premise too

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think simply matching Benns best is already a super high bar he probably won't reach.

But even if you disagree - another big negative is he only joined the NHL at age 23. I think that works against him in a redraft premise too

Why is that a negative?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If i can pick a player who only joins my team at age 23 vs much earlier - he'd have to be quite a bit better for me to pass up the extra years.

Self-explanatory no?

When they come over and play doesn't make the player better or worse in the long run. What about NCAA players who spend 4 years in college and joins the NHL at 22 or 23 years old? Should that be held against them as well?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When they come over and play doesn't make the player better or worse in the long run. What about NCAA players who spend 4 years in college and joins the NHL at 22 or 23 years old? Should that be held against them as well?

I mean....yes?

If i can get 2 equal players - one at 18 (20 for Benn) and one at 23 - i take the one i get sooner?

If you ask me who to pick in a redraft between Crosby and McDavid - its probably close. If you add a stipulation that i only get one player at age 23, its a no brainer.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I mean....yes?

If i can get 2 equal players - one at 18 (20 for Benn) and one at 23 - i take the one i get sooner?

If you ask me who to pick in a redraft between Crosby and McDavid - its probably close. If you add a stipulation that i only get one player at age 23, its a no brainer.

The reason Kaprizov was selected in the 5th round had nothing to do with teams knowing he was going to stay in Russia until he was 23. He didn't sign his deal with CSKA Moscow until 2 years after he was drafted.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The reason Kaprizov was selected in the 5th round had nothing to do with teams knowing he was going to stay in Russia until he was 23. He didn't sign his deal with CSKA Moscow until 2 years after he was drafted.

But we know now? If you're asking me to pick a player from this list with hindsight - knowing Kaprizov will only come to the NHL later is a negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad