Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

giphy.gif

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It starts right away, unless the Kings were to sign him to a tryout offer, which isn't happening with a 1st round pick.

Another reason it would be a huge mistake to sign Turcotte (the biggest being he won't be NHL ready until after next season).

Please Please Please take the Makar/Hughes path and not the Casey Middlestadt one with Turcotte.
Like to see Turcotte play two years in college! Like to see him as a 1.5-1.75 pts per game scorer before he heads to LA. He needs to look after his own interests and that means getting stronger and more refined and not doing that in Ontario with the Reign...Middlestadt has been a disaster...another Buffalo screw up...at least they were patient with Olofsson

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
Anyone know what his injury is or when/if he's expected back?

Seems like a pretty disappointing season all things considered.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Anyone know what his injury is or when/if he's expected back?

Seems like a pretty disappointing season all things considered.

I think I heard he's back practicing with them, so I would assume he'd be back soon. I think if you ask him he'll be disappointed, but Wisconsin as a whole has been pretty disappointing. Point wise he's not doing too bad, but he probably expected more out of himself. I always thought he was going to be one and done, but with how the season has gone it probably wouldn't hurt to see him stay another year.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
I think I heard he's back practicing with them, so I would assume he'd be back soon. I think if you ask him he'll be disappointed, but Wisconsin as a whole has been pretty disappointing. Point wise he's not doing too bad, but he probably expected more out of himself. I always thought he was going to be one and done, but with how the season has gone it probably wouldn't hurt to see him stay another year.
You're right, he definitely won't be happy with this year. I know his goal was to get to the NHL as fast as possible, but like you said, I think he'll benefit more from another year at school.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
No reason to rush any of the younglings. Their play should always dictate where they play. And if that's not the case yet, the kid stays down.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Do you guys think Turcotte will return to Wisconsin for another season? I think both him and Caufield could play in the NHL next year but would be so much better off with an extra year of development. However, Wisconsin has not been amazing this year so it’s hard to say.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Do you guys think Turcotte will return to Wisconsin for another season? I think both him and Caufield could play in the NHL next year but would be so much better off with an extra year of development. However, Wisconsin has not been amazing this year so it’s hard to say.

I think early in the season it seemed pretty likely that Turcotte would sign after this year, but at this point I think it's about a 50/50 whether he stays or signs. I'm not even really sure what the best course of action would be for him to be honest - definitely needs to put on some weight before he's really ready for the NHL, though. If he does sign, he most likely starts with Ontario.

Reactions: Jesperi Suzuki

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA

I really hope so personally. Seems Kings fans are pretty divided on whether he should stay in the NCAA for another year or turn pro and play in the AHL next season. Each offers different benefits, but in my opinion seeing him (hopefully) dominate as a sophomore in the NCAA while continuing to build physical strength is the best case scenario.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My money is on him turning pro. He wants to play in the NHL soon. I think he'll take the step that many other high picks have done recently, that is play one year in the NCAA then turn pro. I don't think this will hurt him one bit. And there is almost no chance he stays if Caufield leaves (which I think will happen too). He'll probably end up in the AHL, so he's playing against men regardless of NCAA or AHL, obviously the NCAA is a bit younger. It's better for his development then the Kaliyev situation, where he's likely stuck in the OHL next year once again.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
My money is on him turning pro. He wants to play in the NHL soon. I think he'll take the step that many other high picks have done recently, that is play one year in the NCAA then turn pro. I don't think this will hurt him one bit. And there is almost no chance he stays if Caufield leaves (which I think will happen too). He'll probably end up in the AHL, so he's playing against men regardless of NCAA or AHL, obviously the NCAA is a bit younger. It's better for his development then the Kaliyev situation, where he's likely stuck in the OHL next year once again.
With the benefit of training in El Segundo and getting his body ready. Wouldn't surprise me if he turns pro and then gains 10+ lbs of muscle ala Kaliyev

henkkj

Jun 29, 2017
Doubt it would happen but i'm just curious, would it be possible to sign Kaliyev and loan him to Europe for next season?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I am all for him turning pro and playing in Ontario next season. Honestly get used to being a pro now and training like a pro. Why worry about having to hit the books and midterms and finals. Also, keep in mind that college athletes are restricted with how much they can actually practice with and be under coaching staff supervision. NCAA rules and all.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I hope he plays in the AHL next season under the Kings training and oversight. It will also be good for him to develop chemistry with the other kids and get a call up for a few games.

Get him as far away from Granado as possible. He's hurting Turcotte's growth as a player. :DD

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Meh just making an assumption. Wisconsin's got some talent on that team should be better in my opinion is all.

IT's a super young team. ALl their best players are teens. It looks in college the same way it looks in the AHL, there's just a big transition for most players between 18-22 years old, and we saw how long it took the Reign to wake up.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
IT's a super young team. ALl their best players are teens. It looks in college the same way it looks in the AHL, there's just a big transition for most players between 18-22 years old, and we saw how long it took the Reign to wake up.

Yes yes very true. Didn't really think about how young this team was. Perhaps another year of playing together assuming they all come back will make the Badgers a pretty good team.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I think it's a good thing for Kaliyev to stay in the OHL, provided he is traded to a contender who can offer a higher quality of teammate. The giant fish in a tiny pond thing is just barely on the good side of stagnation, but playing on a new team with purpose is absolutely enough of a challenge for someone his age.

Reactions: KINGS17

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I keep hoping that Trevor Lewis, assuming his NHL race is run, is willing to spend a year in Ontario as that veteran presence and link to assist young players like Turcotte next year. I say that as I am very confident he will turn pro this summer.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Looks like Turcotte finally scored after being held without a goal for who knows how long. Also has an assist Against Arizona State. Hope he keeps this up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Like to see Turcotte play two years in college! Like to see him as a 1.5-1.75 pts per game scorer before he heads to LA. He needs to look after his own interests and that means getting stronger and more refined and not doing that in Ontario with the Reign...Middlestadt has been a disaster...another Buffalo screw up...at least they were patient with Olofsson
Lisa Dillman who writes for the LA Times and The Athletic has indicated she thinks Turcotte will stay at Wisconsin for another season after this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad