5th-best VAN draft pick, selections 1-30

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It would be interesting to start a new series of threads (one at a time) with a poll where we can vote on the best player we ever drafted (wether they ended up playing for us or not ) at round #9, #8, #7... and so on...

I guess that might be a little time consuming if there isn't a website that lists our draft history organized by rounds. I've been looking, but haven't found one yet.
Picks are organized in groups of 30, rather than what round they were at the time (as though the league always had 30 teams).

They are color-coded for position, and ordered in descending number of games played.

Picks 1-30 (Current 1st round):

1-30-a_zpsqpss8hhp.png

1-30-b_zpsdkcrlso5.png

Votes to date:

1. Henrik Sedin 78.57%
2. Daniel Sedin 79.03%
3. Cam Neely 45.31%
4. Trevor Linden 73.42%

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Nedved wasn't good for the franchise, but he was a good player.

1. Mario Lemieux*-PIT 161
2. Jaromir Jagr-PIT 149
3. Joe Sakic*-COL 120
4. Ron Francis*-PIT 119
5. Peter Forsberg*-COL 116
6. Eric Lindros-PHI 115
7. Teemu Selanne-2TM 108
Paul Kariya-MDA 108
9. Sergei Fedorov*-DET 107
Alexander Mogilny-VAN 107
11. Doug Weight-EDM 104
12. Wayne Gretzky*-2TM 102
13. Petr Nedved-PIT 99
Mark Messier*-NYR 99
15. Keith Tkachuk-WIN 98
16. John LeClair-PHI 97
17. Pierre Turgeon-MTL 96
Theoren Fleury-CGY 96
19. Steve Yzerman*-DET 95
20. Vincent Damphousse-MTL 94

I guess he was playing with Mario and Jagr, but he still put up good point totals throughout his career, higher than those of Linden by a fair bit. It's definitely closer than Ohlund vs Linden. Linden was a great leader for the team and that certainly counts in a draft pick. Me wanting to pick Nedved over Linden might just be overcompensation for him being underrated because of his time with the Canucks, to be honest. I still think Linden and Nedved are in a tier behind Ohlund, though, and Schneider has been playing spectacularly and if that play continues would move him ahead of Linden/Nedved IMO.
Just to carry this into the current thread. There's obviously no wrong answer here (guys like Lever and Vaive are probably also getting overlooked just because of their time period), but I do fully expect Nedved will completely get the cold shoulder from the fans here, even though he was -- objectively -- a pretty talented player and he did put up a lot of points. The way he is talked about on here, you'd think he was a draft bust just because the 1990 draft was legendary, but he was and is an extremely defensible pick at #2.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Just to carry this into the current thread. There's obviously no wrong answer here (guys like Lever and Vaive are probably also getting overlooked just because of their time period), but I do fully expect Nedved will completely get the cold shoulder from the fans here, even though he was -- objectively -- a pretty talented player and he did put up a lot of points. The way he is talked about on here, you'd think he was a draft bust just because the 1990 draft was legendary, but he was and is an extremely defensible pick at #2.
Having three consecutive seasons of 50+ goals sure looks impressive on paper - though it seemed a number of players were scoring alot goals during this era.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Surprised Kesler is getting more than Schneider, but understandable. If Schneider keeps up his current level of play he'll definitely be better, but if it was just a flash and he falls back down to earth then Kesler should be ahead. That being said, absolutely shocked that he is keeping up with Ohlund. Kesler in his prime was an elite #2 C, and a low tier #1 C. However, he was always a defense first player and 'broke out' largely due to his PP time with the Sedins. Kesler shouldn't be this far ahead of Nedved either, but I've relegated myself to the fact that he will end up in like 9th or something ridiculous.

Don't know much about Vaive's time period, I'm more of a late 80s/early 90s - present guy. So I'll likely place him wrong in my voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad