GDT: #59 | Devils vs. Islanders 7 P.M. | Hynesenberg Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If that's the coaching staff's hang-up on Severson, I think they need to get over it. In the modern NHL, not every defenseman is going to be particularly physical. Severson does a lot of other stuff well, and I feel like his offensive abilities are always going to be more important to his game than his cross-checking ones.

That's not why they're sitting him. If that was the case basically every defenseman not named Helgeson would have sat after the Flyers game.

I almost think it's PK Subban lite type stuff where they don't like his atitude more than his play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And not for nothing but if this game was reffed 180 degrees the other way Captain Jack would have had another caniption. Hynes, maybe it's cause he's a rookie coach and feels like he can't or maybe it's just the way he is but I don't think he's ever uttered boo about the refs ever. This is the one game where I thought if he was ever going to say anything about the refs...

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That's not why they're sitting him. If that was the case basically every defenseman not named Helgeson would have sat after the Flyers game.

I almost think it's PK Subban lite type stuff where they don't like his atitude more than his play.

Could be they don't like his attitude, but at this point sitting Severson to send these messages is hurting the team as a whole and it's obviously not working if they have to do it so often. Obviously the message isn't getting through if they have to keep sending it every couple of games here. Address the attitude if there is one in a way that doesn't have us icing a worse lineup when we are competing for a playoff spot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Could be they don't like his attitude, but at this point sitting Severson to send these messages is hurting the team as a whole and it's obviously not working if they have to do it so often. Obviously the message isn't getting through if they have to keep sending it every couple of games here. Address the attitude if there is one in a way that doesn't have us icing a worse lineup when we are competing for a playoff spot.

The other weird thing is it's not like they cut his icetime when he does play other than a game here and there lately. It'd be one thing if he was getting 12-14 minutes a game, at least then it would be obvious he's down on the totem pole. But he plays 18 minutes a night getting scratched for another d-man who plays 12-14 a night. And apparently John Moore can screw up even more than Severson but never get scratched cause he isn't overconfident.

Of course since they allowed six goals the other night and one tonight they'll probably wind up keeping this defensive alignment again :P

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Watch us somehow beat the Caps tomorrow and make this loss even more frustrating.

I'd be even more infuriated by the no show Flyers game.

But I'd probably would have rather scored those two even strength goals tonight and gotten shutout in the blowout 6 goal against game against the Flyers instead.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The other weird thing is it's not like they cut his icetime when he does play other than a game here and there lately. It'd be one thing if he was getting 12-14 minutes a game, at least then it would be obvious he's down on the totem pole. But he plays 18 minutes a night getting scratched for another d-man who plays 12-14 a night. And apparently John Moore can screw up even more than Severson but never get scratched cause he isn't overconfident.

Of course since they allowed six goals the other night and one tonight they'll probably wind up keeping this defensive alignment again :P

Yeah, it's just odd. Overall, I like Hynes as a coach, but some of the decisions he makes cause me to go :m-confused:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, it's just odd. Overall, I like Hynes as a coach, but some of the decisions he makes cause me to go :m-confused:

We'll have to wait to the end of the season for me to make up my mind on this, but if Severson is regularly scratched, I make think that he's a guy they might be open to moving going forward. It's too early to say that now, but I think it's possible they'd be interested in it. All depending how the rest of the year goes.

It seems they want Matteau out too, but his his value is zilch and probably always has been. I don't have much of a problem with the way Matteau has been used (or lack of) this year, like I do Severson though.

But I'm willing to give Matteau another chance, considering how much we've seen of Josefson, Kalinin, Kennedy, etc, and still get not much in the way of offense.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Sitting Severson when the team cannot generate any offense was and will be a mistake.

Tonight, I felt Severson's absence was felt most on the Devils break-outs. The team kept retreating behind their own net, giving the Isles time to set up in the neutral zone. They needed to push the pace, not regroup.

And then, why didn't Hynes pull Schneider with 2:09 left and the faceoff in the Isles zone? The Devils could barely even enter the Isles zone for most of the period. It was unlikely they were getting a better chance to pull Schneider.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sitting Severson when the team cannot generate any offense was and will be a mistake.

Tonight, I felt Severson's absence was felt most on the Devils break-outs. The team kept retreating behind their own net, giving the Isles time to set up in the neutral zone. They needed to push the pace, not regroup.

And then, why didn't Hynes pull Schneider with 2:09 left and the faceoff in the Isles zone? The Devils could barely even enter the Isles zone for most of the period. It was unlikely they were getting a better chance to pull Schneider.

I'm fine with not pulling him that early, the early goalie pull has not exactly worked for us at times this year. It's pretty effective when other teams pull their goalie with 2 minutes left against us and only down by 1 though.:laugh:

I feel we need all hands on deck on offense. Putting Severson back in is almost a must. Anyone that helps whatsoever at offense, outside of Gelinas, who really doesn't help at offense like he used to.

Schneider will take care the rest, as long as the team doesn't allow an overabundance of shots against. Zajac paired with frickin anyone on this roster can pretty much do a decent job at worst at shutting down the other teams top lines.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Just got back from the game. They were hot garbage about 2/3 of the game. Looked good for most of the first and the 5 minute kill (which was a BS call). Half their passes weren't completed, there was little hustle, Henrique spent a good chunk of this game with his head up his ass, and Zajac is Paul Martin soft.

Does Tyler Kennedy think he's Tyler Johnson? The guy thinks he's skilled but is a puck hog. Jake needs to hit the gym. The dude could get pushed over by a fire ant.

They took zero chances tonight and they played not to lose.

Isles just trapped and clogged up the neutral zone for most of the game. BORING!

Hynes needs to mix up the lines. It hasn't worked for 7 ****ing games.

Palmieri needs to get going. When was his last even strength goal that mattered?

**** the refs too. Isles got away with a LOT of stuff.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just got back from the game. They were hot garbage about 2/3 of the game. Looked good for most of the first and the 5 minute kill (which was a BS call). Half their passes weren't completed, there was little hustle, Henrique spent a good chunk of this game with his head up his ass, and Zajac is Paul Martin soft.

Does Tyler Kennedy think he's Tyler Johnson? The guy thinks he's skilled but is a puck hog. Jake needs to hit the gym. The dude could get pushed over by a fire ant.

They took zero chances tonight and they played not to lose.

Hynes needs to mix up the lines. It hasn't worked for 7 ****ing games.

Palmieri needs to get going. When was his last even strength goal that mattered?

**** the refs too. Isles got away with a LOT of stuff.

I understand what everyone is saying on Palmieri, but he's had to play with Kalinin and Zajac in a shutdown role for most of this stretch that Cammalleri has been injured. I'm afraid Hynes will go back to that line next game.

And Zajac isn't what he used to be at offense, though he's still not as bad as many claim to be. Kalinin was the weak link on that line. None of those guys are gonna score with a 4th liner anchoring their line. And I'm very adamant about the fact that Zajac can be paired with anyone and do a decent job at worst at shutting down the opposition. Last year he fooled people into thinking Tootoo was a decent defensive player and a non liability, so much to the point that he was being put on the PK.

I know it was Oates coaching and Foligno with the PK, but there is a reason that Tootoo masqueraded as a non liability for a stretch of games. #19 says hello.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The team kept retreating behind their own net, giving the Isles time to set up in the neutral zone. They needed to push the pace, not regroup.

Am I the only person that's noticed they've done this consistently on their breakouts all season? I feel like they very frequently retreat and hesitate getting the puck up ice quickly. They rarely "push the pace". You would think with a core of young pick moving defenseman this wouldn't be the case......

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was this game karma for the 1-0 Kinkaid shutout earlier in the week? Or the shootout win over Halak and the Islanders back on Halloween?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Another wasted performance by Schneider. This team can't score if their lives depended on it.

2 pts in 8 games for Stempniak and he still leads the team in points. Cammalleri is second in points and has missed 17 games.

The offense on this team is putrid. If we didn't hit the freaking goalie jackpot with Schneider this team would be in lottery pick territory. Gelinas, Severson, and Merrill (our amazing d prospects) have combined for three goals this season.

I am getting very annoyed with how unreliable Cammalleri is.

Palmieri- 1 goal in 11 games
Zajac- 2 goals in 39 games
Cammalleri- 3 goals in 15 games before getting hurt.
Stempniak- 1 goal in 10 games
Henrique- TWO games in the last 20 with 2 points.

Kalinin- 0 goals in 22 games

There you have 5 of our top 6. This offense is EMBARRASSING. We already have possibly the worst bottom 6 in the NHL. Close to it anyway. So when our top 6 goes missing, we're in trouble. These guys need to be held accountable and I really hope Shero is figuring out how to get some scoring. Waiting for Zacha and Quennville to produce in a few years is not going to help. The draft is not going to help for a few years.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I went and watched a movie and come back to see we're in full meltdown lol.

We had plenty of chances to score and didn't. All this whining about sitting Severson good god. It wouldn't have made a difference if he was in the lineup, he has 1 goal for christ's sake. It's all about our forwards, Camm has been out forever, Zajac and Kalinin are black holes, Henrique is MIA again, Stemps has cooled off as well as Palmieri. Boosh and Blandisi have been good but they aren't going to carry us. Even the chip ins here and there like JJ and Farnham are far and few between.

edit: exactly njdevil26, you beat me to it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Am I the only person that's noticed they've done this consistently on their breakouts all season? I feel like they very frequently retreat and hesitate getting the puck up ice quickly. They rarely "push the pace". You would think with a core of young pick moving defenseman this wouldn't be the case......

No, I've said it for awhile now. It's as if when they get pressured coming out of the zone they have no idea what to do and try to regroup and try it again. It's always pressure, back to trailing D, reverse behind net, wait for slow forwards to come back, try again. Wash, rinse, repeat. The Isles trapped all night because we have zero ability to gain speed through the neutral zone not do we have anyone who can realistically carry it through the NZ. The lack of any consistent offense is mind boggling.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This ALL goes back to the non existent 3rd line.

When those guys have droughts, you got nothing to fall back on. Maybe a goal from Farnham or Gionta and Tootoo once in a very great while.

Josefson and Kennedy can't score at even strength to save their lives, neither can Kalinin at any strength at all anymore.

I don't think it was meant to be this bad, other than the gamble lost of Josefson as a 3rd line center. I think when Tlusty was signed, the idea was he'd have more than 4 points in 30 games. Which put him on pace for like 11 points over 82 games. Probably less than half of his career worst production up to this year.

I think they figured Kennedy would probably produce at a 25-ish or maybe 30 point pace if we got real lucky.

They probably didn't foresee Elias missing practically the whole season, even if it was to be expected because he's just about 40 years old.

Marty Brodeur as a skater could probably score more goals than some of these guys. At least in his prime he could.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This ALL goes back to the non existent 3rd line.

When those guys have droughts, you got nothing to fall back on. Maybe a goal from Farnham or Gionta and Tootoo once in a very great while.

Josefson and Kennedy can't score at even strength to save their lives, neither can Kalinin at any strength at all anymore.

I don't think it was meant to be this bad, other than the gamble lost of Josefson as a 3rd line center. I think when Tlusty was signed, the idea was he'd have more than 4 points in 30 games. Which put him on pace for like 11 points over 82 games. Probably less than half of his career worst production up to this year.

I think they figured Kennedy would probably produce at a 25-ish or maybe 30 point pace if we got real lucky.

They probably didn't foresee Elias missing practically the whole season, even if it was to be expected because he's just about 40 years old.

Marty Brodeur as a skater could probably score more goals than some of these guys. At least in his prime he could.

I just don't understand why Matteau sits in the pressbox night after night when the whole of the bottom six is as bad as they are.

Hynes does a great job rotating the D where no one sits for more than 2 or 3 games. There has to be other stuff going on with Matteau.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
No, I've said it for awhile now. It's as if when they get pressured coming out of the zone they have no idea what to do and try to regroup and try it again. It's always pressure, back to trailing D, reverse behind net, wait for slow forwards to come back, try again. Wash, rinse, repeat. The Isles trapped all night because we have zero ability to gain speed through the neutral zone not do we have anyone who can realistically carry it through the NZ. The lack of any consistent offense is mind boggling.

I don't know if it's purposeful as part of their system or it's a product of our d-men's capabilities. And I don't know which of those two is more worrisome.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Was this game karma for the 1-0 Kinkaid shutout earlier in the week? Or the shootout win over Halak and the Islanders back on Halloween?

It was just a 2013-14 Devils special. Play well for much of the game, hit a couple posts, have a ****** bounce go against them, lose by one goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad