GDT: #57: Hawks @ Coyotes

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Great game. I'll pop in and add this.

We give Smith a really hard time sometimes, & sometimes he deserves it, but we have to remember he has played the most minutes and faced the most shots out of any goalie in the league. I know sometimes we want to strangle the pizza preparing netminder, but he is a damn good goalie.

Secondly, Halpern ****ing brings it man. If I can have that much hustle and work ethic when I'm his age, I'll be a happy camper. Good signing by GMDM.

I am still absolutely thrilled that we have Z back. I hope he retires a Coyote.

Speaking of retiring as a Coyote, let's keep that letter on Vermette's shoulder and sign him to a career contract. This dude is a ****ing work horse, and has so much more skill/speed than he gets credit for. No matter how much success that little twerp Turris has in the NHL, I will still always feel we won that trade JUST because of the 2nd round pick we got that ended up bringing Vermette to us.

I think rt says it best when it comes to Yandle. One minute he'll do something that will make you bury your head into the palm of your hand, the next minute he'll knock someone on their ass, make a brilliant pass, and score a coast to coast goal to compensate. Yandle is a ****ing rock star and we are very lucky to have him.

OEL is the envy of the league. We have our franchise player we have always been looking for. Sometimes I catch myself taking him for granted, dude is elite. Let's hope Domi can be the offensive equivalent of Oliver for this team.

Last but not least, how ****ing good does it feel to have an owner. No other team has done what we did tonight for the Miracle squad. You can tell that historic roster felt amazing on our home ice. We have our owner to thank for that. I feel it every time I see a simple commercial for the Yotes. Those commercials are epic. So intense, it's fun to be able to take such pride in something as trivial as a commercial, but it's easy for us to appreciate it because we haven't had ANYTHING like that in close to t years. Say what you want about them, the 5 year out-clause, our group of owners are amazing people. Feels so good.

I'm a little under the influence so I'm gonna wrap this up, GO YOTES!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Great game. I'll pop in and add this.

We give Smith a really hard time sometimes, & sometimes he deserves it, but we have to remember he has played the most minutes and faced the most shots out of any goalie in the league. I know sometimes we want to strangle the pizza preparing netminder, but he is a damn good goalie.

!

All the "damn good goalies" in the league that are right behind him in shots faced have the following save pct %: .924, .924, .926, .916, .923
(Varlamov, Price, Bernier, Lehtonen, Miller)

So until he proves to be more consistent and improves his save pct % to well over .916 he isn't performing up to "damn good goalie" standards.

He was 'great' tonight though and for the last 3 games, but this is how we need him to play to make the playoffs

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Last but not least, how ****ing good does it feel to have an owner. No other team has done what we did tonight for the Miracle squad. You can tell that historic roster felt amazing on our home ice.

The Miracle team might have brought the motivation to our team... the Blackhawks being the Russians and our Yotes being the underdog US team.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Why did I drink so much and pass out when we beat the stinkin Hawks?! Glad we beat the Hawks in front of a bunch of bandwagon fans that paid for overpriced tickets. Muahahaha!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It's frustrating to know we can play like that, yet we have given up games to buffalo, Dallas, Calgary, ect.

You don't drop those games and you're above the kings in a comfortable playoff spot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That was playoff hockey. Not that we shut out the Hawks, not even that we won. The guys played tight defense for one of the few times this year. They were in passing lanes, in shot lanes, and essentially took the Hawks offense by the neck and strangled it.

Must have been Alice Cooper.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It seems to me that Smith has started to play better as a goalie as he has stopped trying to play as a defenseman. It seems like all the Canadian media talked about all year was how well he handled the puck. And it seemed he tried too hard to handle the puck all the time. Now that he is on team Canada he has gotten back to stopping the puck and only leaving net to play it when he needs to. His game has vastly improved since.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
All the "damn good goalies" in the league that are right behind him in shots faced have the following save pct %: .924, .924, .926, .916, .923
(Varlamov, Price, Bernier, Lehtonen, Miller)

So until he proves to be more consistent and improves his save pct % to well over .916 he isn't performing up to "damn good goalie" standards.

He was 'great' tonight though and for the last 3 games, but this is how we need him to play to make the playoffs

Smith has been good for more then the last 3 games, without looking at stats, I would say the last 6-8 games or so. I am seeing more great saves and thankfully less soft goals. Our PK is better too, partly Smith and partly the forwards/D men, another good sign. Bottom line is although Smith might not catch the above mentioned goalie's statistically for the year, he is playing at an elite (top 5-10) level lately.
If this continues, we will make the playoffs and Smith is the one guy that could carry us in the playoffs...one step at a time...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Why has the PK been so good lately?

Is it just coaching? Motivation? I would love to believe it is the younger blueline players figuring it out.

Also, Stone played a very Morris game. Stone is a gem and will continue to be a very good #4-5 Dman.

I'm noticing a lot of active sticks -- guys clogging up passing lanes and poking the puck out of the zone. OEL has been especially effective at this.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Woah! Another Ukrainian Coyotes fan? :handclap:
Yes. Ukrainian. And from Ukraine. :handclap:
There is Coyotes fans from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and even Estonia on russian-speaking boards. We wake up at 4 AM, or even at 2 AM to see Coyotes games live.

My Eng is bad, so I'm is grateful reader mostly :)

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
There is Coyotes fans from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and even Estonia on russian-speaking boards. We wake up at 4 AM, or even at 2 AM to see Coyotes games live.

Your written English is as good as some that were born in the USA. Don't worry about it. Tell us what you think every now and again.

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario

That is awesome! I am the first of my family to be born in Canada, rest were born in Ukraine. My family came over to Canada in the late 60s. So I hold onto as much Ukrainian heritage as I can. That is some serious commitment to get up that early for Yotes games haha.

Hopefully you are still able to cheer on the Coyotes safely during the trouble in Kyiv! Ще не вмерла Українa!

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Hopefully you are still able to cheer on the Coyotes safely during the trouble in Kyiv! Ще не вмерла Українa!
I live in a small town about 100 km from Kyiv and here is safe. Even in Kyiv is safe away from couple places and streets. But what means safe?.. Criminals, criminals in police uniforms, unsafe drivers and others... Sometimes I think that I live not in Europe but in some kind of Somali.. :)

There is some reasons for next wave of Ukrainian immigration to Canada :laugh: Слава Україні!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad