Post-Game Talk: #56 | Flyers at Devils | February 17, 2024 | Flyers lose 6-3

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Outdoor Flyers games are usually a recipe for disappointment.
flyers games on any kind of a big stage are usually a big disappointment, usually because they are playing a skilled team. NJ really exposed their skating ability. Also when they play a condensed schedule and when they come back from a long layoff. Maybe Tortorella and Jons can get the NHL to schedule them to play every 3rd day against only bottom half teams?

Reactions: Curufinwe

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
He's a rookie who's forced to be a #1 goalie, let's not overreact. Give him a couple full NHL seasons before making the final judgment.
Agreed. IF (I know if the queen had balls she'd be king) his rebound control was better he maybe only gives up 2 goals. The Flyers have one of the best rebound control goalies of all time strolling the hallways. You'd think they would ask him to earn some of the annual stipend they give him.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Another loss. Another embarrassment under the microscope.

Still enjoyed myself so maybe I’m not “retired” but the losing gets old. Even when they win they have to come from behind by two goals in the last few minutes.

C608916E-DC24-43B2-8FFB-9DBB3FC83F6D.jpeg
19822E24-0FC4-4394-9C64-A6F70119FA03.jpeg

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Willing to give Ersson a pass in the Toronto game because Matthews is playing a different sport right now but tonight he needed to be better even with the Flyers playing to loose in their own zone for my liking
I don’t really blame Ersson for last night. Breakaway 30 secs in. Rebound backside off a screened shot post-lost face off. Smith rebound off a low pad save. No D coverage at all. Bastion in alone picked the corner - could be stopped easily by a standing goalie. Hischier again open in slot - unstoppable.

For me, it just highlights the skill/talent deficit the Flyers have and the need to sell everything. They can win games with hard work during the season but their formula breaks down against skilled teams. If Ersson isn’t THE goalie, they will need to trade for one until one of the prospects is ready.

Trade Walker, Risto or Seeler, Laughton, Hathaway, Staal now, if there are takers. Move up in the draft and find some talent.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The schedule that the Flyers have for the rest of the season is not that tough. No long road trips or going into the Rocky or Pacific time zones. Still there just isn't enough talent on the club to hang in there as the competitive teams bear down on PO slots. Tortorella's insistence on playing 11-7 is a recipe for disaster. It'll wear down the better players as they compensate for the stiffs. However my suspicion is that as long as the Flyers are in PO contention it is what we'll see. In the long run, it should pay off for the Flyers. They'll miss the POs and get a better draft seeding. Maybe Briere will se it in the cards and move out Walker, Seeler, and Laughton. One can only hope that the stiffs get sat out and others get a fair chance to play.

Reactions: Larry44

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The schedule that the Flyers have for the rest of the season is not that tough. No long road trips or going into the Rocky or Pacific time zones. Still there just isn't enough talent on the club to hang in there as the competitive teams bear down on PO slots. Tortorella's insistence on playing 11-7 is a recipe for disaster. It'll wear down the better players as they compensate for the stiffs. However my suspicion is that as long as the Flyers are in PO contention it is what we'll see. In the long run, it should pay off for the Flyers. They'll miss the POs and get a better draft seeding. Maybe Briere will se it in the cards and move out Walker, Seeler, and Laughton. One can only hope that the stiffs get sat out and others get a fair chance to play.
Keep in mind that the Flyers have been great against the western conference this season, and mediocre against the east.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Only 3 of 25 games vs West teams. Lots of games vs teams chasing them. We’ll see. Key will be the ones leading up to the TDL.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg
If they miss the playoffs(it will be close either way, I think) they will most likely draft in the 12-16 range. If they make it will be 16-20. Splitting hairs in 10-20 range anyways, so lets get some playoffs for experience. Still hope they are sellers hard. But who knows...

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
If they miss the playoffs(it will be close either way, I think) they will most likely draft in the 12-16 range. If they make it will be 16-20. Splitting hairs in 10-20 range anyways, so lets get some playoffs for experience. Still hope they are sellers hard. But who knows...
so basicly worst case scenario both ways

typical Flyers... another draft were they pick a nobody..

sigh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad