GDT: [#56] Dallas Stars at Florida Panthers, 6:00 PM CST

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Not the greatest game, but wasnt the worst either. Good game for Khudobin though.

You can definitely see the skill with Hintz, just needs more experience and the points will come

Dickinson also impresses me everytime I watch him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Watching the Panthers its not just their goalies that are a problem . They barely looked dangerous offensively despite outshooting us and man those the goals Stars scored they just left our players all alone directly infront of the goalie . ( and we had more chances like that but failed to convert on them ) .

I posted that Lindell goal gif and that just can't happen .

Stars didn't play well but Panthers didn't either and they shot themselves in the foot at some point.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
They looked a lot better than the lethargic game against the Yotes. Still don't know what Nill has planned but I don't think this sort of play is capable of getting us deep in the playoffs if we even make it.

Reactions: Henderson33

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Good game for the most part, my stream crapped out half way through the third. Feels like the Stars played well defensively with Dobby cleaning up and mistakes. Seguin was on fire tonight likewise with Hintz.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I had to listen to the game on radio again and I can’t stand listening to josh. He is so boring half the time I have to look at the app to see if stars score because he does not change his tone. Razor gets bagged on but I would rather listen to him than josh.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’m more and more convinced every game that Hintz is a keeper.

Still not sure I buy him being a top 15 talent from the 2015 draft, though :laugh:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Tonight's game was the first time the Panthers have been shutout this season.

Also, feels worth noting it was easily Jamie Oleksiak's worse game since the trade. He was baddd. Only played 8 minutes too

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Tonight's game was the first time the Panthers have been shutout this season.

Also, feels worth noting it was easily Jamie Oleksiak's worse game since the trade. He was baddd. Only played 8 minutes too

He is absolutely horrible in the offensive zone. Seems to almost avoid touching the puck unless he has to. He plays such a passive game.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know the stats doesn't say that much but i went looking through a couple of things and saw something really wierd. Every single Panthers player is a minus. Every single one . ( Well Derek MacKenzie is 0 but he only played one game and is injured and even retired now so he doesn't count ) . How is that even possible ? No other team has that no matter how bad. Panthers must by abysmal at 5on5.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I know the stats doesn't say that much but i went looking through a couple of things and saw something really wierd. Every single Panthers player is a minus. Every single one . ( Well Derek MacKenzie is 0 but he only played one game and is injured and even retired now so he doesn't count ) . How is that even possible ? No other team has that no matter how bad. Panthers must by abysmal at 5on5.

#2 PP in the league before tonight (#3 now). Of the top 10 PP teams, they are one of four (FLA, COL, EDM, NYR) with a negative goal differential. They're very close to EDM and NYR in that regard (all around -25). COL is -6, much higher than the other two.

EDM only has 5 regulars with a positive +/-, and 4 of those are at 3 or less. Matt Benning has the highest on the team, with +8.

NYR look very similar - 5 regulars with positive +/-, 4 at 3 or less. Chris Kreider is highest at +7.

So FLA is a bit of an anomaly but certainly one that doesn't seem unreasonable. They have a stronger PP than the others (3rd vs. 7th, 9th, 10th) which also helps account for that discrepancy.

Just a quick look - if you really wanted to get into it, you could look at GF and GA that count toward +/- to find the maximum possible for each team.

Would be an interesting historical experiment as well.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Troy's Titillating Tidbits

Polak played 6:39 of the 8:00 the Stars successfully killed off. Polak is playing the second most minutes on the league's third best PK, and yet there are people who still think he's the team's worst defender.

Oleksiak only played a total of 8:08, but six of his 20 shifts were under ten seconds. It looks like Monty's way of dealing with having to make the first change was to throw Oleksiak out there but have him come right to the bench after the puck dropped to get him away from Florida's better players. This is how you shelter players.

Nichushkin was benched for the third period. He only got out on the ice for a couple of garbage time shifts after Seguin's empty netter put the game away. Monty only played him then to give the guys who contributed to the win a rest.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Troy's Titillating Tidbits

Polak played 6:39 of the 8:00 the Stars successfully killed off. Polak is playing the second most minutes on the league's third best PK, and yet there are people who still think he's the team's worst defender.

Oleksiak only played a total of 8:08, but six of his 20 shifts were under ten seconds. It looks like Monty's way of dealing with having to make the first change was to throw Oleksiak out there but have him come right to the bench after the puck dropped to get him away from Florida's better players. This is how you shelter players.

Nichushkin was benched for the third period. He only got out on the ice for a couple of garbage time shifts after Seguin's empty netter put the game away. Monty only played him then to give the guys who contributed to the win a rest.
Polak elite

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Stars really went after the Panthers supposed first pairing of Yandle-Eklad and more or less went to town on them. I don't know i feel like the Panthers really didn't make use of the ability to match up lineups via last change. That seems like a bad way to coach even though i don't how much you can do if your supposed best players are the ones that need sheltering.

To the Polak topic. He is really good at defending without the puck and once the play moves out of the teams own zone he's really bad. Monty knows this too since ~70% of Polaks zone starts are defensive which is kind of ridiculous but yes Roman Polak needs to be and gets protected from playing too much in the offensive zone since he's clearly terrible there. In his own zone ? No problem just throw him out there no matter the opponent.

It clearly shows too with how succeful the PK is and how heavy his minutes there. Sure the team is also not really a threat shorthanded but whatever.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
All there gf come from the pp. all there GA come even strength it appears .

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Hintz has more to offer, better tools, and is an all around better player than Janmark ever was.

Needs to learn to finish better though. He could have gone cookie jar on Luongo when Rads sprung him loose and that could have been a major boost to his confidence.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad