55th Obsequious Banter Thread - Good Grief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
attachment.php

Nick Schultz = bad

Charles Schulz = good

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Goddamn I'm pumped for my new job. Just not pumped for an 8AM start :laugh:.

I remember the last job I tried to go to (which completely fell through back in March), they told me I was starting Monday. I went in with no sleep at all and I got there and they had no idea why the hell I was there :laugh:. They told me it would take a few weeks to get things sorted, and in the end, didn't get that job.

Nick Schultz, Chris Gratton, Ole-Kristian Tolefsen, Pavel Brendl, Ben Eager, or Danny Markov thread

Yikes. I like the idea of Markov being the number. Liked him a bit. "Mark-it-ov the List"

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I watched the first episode of Westworld. Not getting a promising feeling like I had for other HBO shows (Boardwalk Empire and GoT)

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

I hated the switch to the "go to sleep earlier, wake up earlier in a better mood" schedule when I got my first job after college two years ago.

Still hate it. :laugh:

Anyway, congrats on the job! Glad it worked out for you in the end

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Anybody ever have any experience with teaching children? i give private lessons and today I have a 6 year old which is the youngest I've ever felt with.

Anything i should mentally prepare for?

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
Anybody ever have any experience with teaching children? i give private lessons and today I have a 6 year old which is the youngest I've ever felt with.

I work as a probation officer, and I deal with adults who do not listen, who yell at ya, and who I have to fuss at... All day long....

But I have a 9 year old at home and he's killing me. He doesn't listen, is disrespectful, and nothing I've tried works. I would never want to be a teacher of kids. Geeze! :shakehead

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey

Ive been a camp counselor the past two summers. You just have to be patient with them and provide incentives/rewards for good things they do, and they will listen to you

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

If you're feeling 6 year olds, sounds like youve got bigger issues than mentally preparing. :sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Studies show that children learn better with more blood rushing to their head. Doctors and psychiatrists recommend hanging them upside down by their feet and then teaching them things since no blood is wasted in places like the legs or torso. If he starts to turn purple that means he's learning a lot and you're in good shape. Also remember that their bites can be venomous so don't put your hand near his mouth.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016

I remember the last job I tried to go to (which completely fell through back in March), they told me I was starting Monday. I went in with no sleep at all and I got there and they had no idea why the hell I was there :laugh:. They told me it would take a few weeks to get things sorted, and in the end, didn't get that job.

Yikes. I like the idea of Markov being the number. Liked him a bit. "Mark-it-ov the List"

I work in Pipersville my man. Hope your first day at work went better then your last first day.:cheers:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Studies show that children learn better with more blood rushing to their head. Doctors and psychiatrists recommend hanging them upside down by their feet and then teaching them things since no blood is wasted in places like the legs or torso. If he starts to turn purple that means he's learning a lot and you're in good shape. Also remember that their bites can be venomous so don't put your hand near his mouth.

I'm a doctor and can confirm this works.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express back in March, so i'd like to add once they're purple, shake them vigorously, it gets all the air bubbles out of trapped areas for a little bit extra blood to soak down into the head region there.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Have an empty schedule tonight will watch at least two episodes

It's definitely a show that needs some digestion in between each episode. At least for me...I enjoy the weekly watching.

Personally, I think it's one of the best new shows I've watched in a long time. I'm obsessed.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

I was an Elementary Education major and student taught in 2nd grade, it was terrible. I subbed for a day in 1st grade and lost my mind. I had a conversation yesterday about how Kindergarten teachers deserve millions of dollars.

I ended up teaching middle school (12-14 year olds) for 8 years and just recently left the classroom. My district created a position for me, which is awesome, so now I'm responsible for teaching the teachers all over the district how to use technology effectively in their classrooms.

That being said, the same philosophy behind teaching 6 year olds applies to 14 year olds and applies to 65 year olds.

Figure out what they currently know about the topic and something they are interested in. Make some insane connection (the more insane the better) between what they are interested in and what you are teaching them. After giving them some info, give them some options of ways to use the information, people are always more willing to do work when you make it seem like they decided they wanted to do it. Putting an incentive at the end is always a great idea, there are tons of educational based games that kids love and you could probably find one based on whatever you are teaching them.

I haven't tried hanging people upside down, but I'd love to try it out on some of the teachers I deal with now. Some of them are getting close to "room full of kindergarteners" level of annoying.

I work as a probation officer, and I deal with adults who do not listen, who yell at ya, and who I have to fuss at... All day long....

But I have a 9 year old at home and he's killing me. He doesn't listen, is disrespectful, and nothing I've tried works. I would never want to be a teacher of kids. Geeze! :shakehead

Sounds like you should have him partake in "take your child to work day" next year. Go full on scared straight.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I haven't tried hanging people upside down, but I'd love to try it out on some of the teachers I deal with now. Some of them are getting close to "room full of kindergarteners" level of annoying.

You're missing out.

It's also a great attitude adjuster if they're acting out. Just flip them and hang them from a ceiling fan (works best if they're small or your fan is very securely bolted to the ceiling) and turn it on a low setting.

Generally it works best if the parents aren't there because they're often not trained in child development like I am and they don't trust the process. They get upset and want to turn it to the max speed but I always try to convince them to be patient.

Alternatively there's the sock full of quarters method... but who has that many quarters lying around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad