Prospect Info: #55 - LHD Kevin Bahl

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The lowest they possibly could have had Hayton was 4th overall. It’s most likely he was their 3rd overall ranked player.

I just can’t believe this is the same group that took Clayton Keller.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
The lowest they possibly could have had Hayton was 4th overall. It’s most likely he was their 3rd overall ranked player.

I just can’t believe this is the same group that took Clayton Keller.

A lot of us were scratching our heads with that pick as well. Maybe not as much of a reach, but it will be really interesting to see how the guys we took in the 1st and 2nd rounds develop within this upcoming season.

Reactions: doaner

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
A lot of us were scratching our heads with that pick as well. Maybe not as much of a reach, but it will be really interesting to see how the guys we took in the 1st and 2nd rounds develop within this upcoming season.
Ehhh, I don't really think so, Keller was putting up numbers comparable to Matthews and Eichel in the USNP. Historic scoring.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A lot of us were scratching our heads with that pick as well.

Keller was a prolific scorer and was easy to project.
Hayton is far from prolific at anything, and doesn't even stand out from his peers in terms of production. He is 'hard' to project which is why scouts are essentially betting their job on him.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Keller was a prolific scorer and was easy to project.
Hayton is far from prolific at anything, and doesn't even stand out from his peers in terms of production. He is 'hard' to project which is why scouts are essentially betting their job on him.
I’m from the Soo, and can tell you Hayton is one hell of a player. He is going to knock your socks off. The stats are not reflective because of low ice time and a restrictive role on the PP.

I’ve seen Bahl too. Huge kid that is coming along really well. More of a project, but Great pick.

Trust Chayka!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m sorry, I was lazy with that post. I didn’t mean it’s hard to believe because Keller is good and Hayton is bad. It’s just he doesn’t really fit in with all of their other picks. They seem to have a type. He doesn’t really seem to be that type.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’m sorry, I was lazy with that post. I didn’t mean it’s hard to believe because Keller is good and Hayton is bad. It’s just he doesn’t really fit in with all of their other picks. They seem to have a type. He doesn’t really seem to be that type.

My guess is they fell in love with Hayton as a person and not the player. By all accounts Chyka gleamed over his cantor m, humbleness and maturity level. I even think I may have heard him throw in a Doan comparison.

Either way, you don’t do that. Zadina should have absolutely been your pick.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
My guess is they fell in love with Hayton as a person and not the player. By all accounts Chyka gleamed over his cantor m, humbleness and maturity level. I even think I may have heard him throw in a Doan comparison.

Yotes already have a young scoring winger in Keller, who reportedly has a big personality. Maybe Hayton's position, style and modest personality combine to make him a matching piece of the puzzle. Trust Chayka!

As for Zadina, Yotes aren't the only team to take a hard pass. I suspect there are issues the mainstream media didn't pick up on. No insider info - no rumour mongering.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
When Zadina mentioned teams who would regret not taking him, he mentioned Ott and Mtl, we were absent from the list lol.

I doubt he wanted to play for us

Reactions: Mosby

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes already have a young scoring winger in Keller, who reportedly has a big personality. Maybe Hayton's position, style and modest personality combine to make him a matching piece of the puzzle. Trust Chayka!

Keller has 70 point talent, but he's more of a playmaker than scorer. Apples and oranges to compare him to Zadina (or Wahlstrom).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

They may have loved him as a person, but that isn't the reason they picked him 5OA. I would imagine the talent is the first thing they look at, and then everything else follows like character, maturity etc. They have their list of importance. As far a Zadina goes, time will tell, but he fell for a reason. He could end up being the best of the draft, or a bust, we don't know at this point.

Reactions: PuckLife

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller has 70 point talent, but he's more of a playmaker than scorer. Apples and oranges to compare him to Zadina (or Wahlstrom).
Keller led the team in goals with 23 on a crap team. He could have easily hit 30 on a good team. Keller shoots the puck, a lot. I believe he was in the top 60 in shots for the entire league. That's is pretty damn good for a young player in his first year. I think Keller will surprise with the amount of goals he scores in the coming years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When Zadina mentioned teams who would regret not taking him, he mentioned Ott and Mtl, we were absent from the list lol.

I doubt he wanted to play for us
Talk is cheap. It's time for him to prove it. As it looks now, Hayton is not the sexy pick, but I think Chayka and co. have earned our trust.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Keller led the team in goals with 23 on a crap team. He could have easily hit 30 on a good team. Keller shoots the puck, a lot. I believe he was in the top 60 in shots for the entire league. That's is pretty damn good for a young player in his first year. I think Keller will surprise with the amount of goals he scores in the coming years.

Keller is a volume shooter and can score goals that way but who knows if he can continue shooting at a 11% clip. And you're not going to convince me he's a better goal scoring talent than someone like Zadina. Or Wahlstrom. Different styles of players.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Imagine Keller and Zadina on the same line...

I was imaginging that beautiful scenerio before the lotto. Then stopped daydreaming about it because there was no way he would drop to 5. Then for 5 blissful minutes after the Ottawa pick all of our bad luck seemed to have turned around and Keller and Zadina would get a shot to play together! Then Chayka said "From the Soo" and the living nightmare of being a Coyotes fan came pouring over me once again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller is a volume shooter and can score goals that way but who knows if he can continue shooting at a 11% clip. And you're not going to convince me he's a better goal scoring talent than someone like Zadina. Or Wahlstrom. Different styles of players.
You could be right, but there are many variables this early in their careers to declare one better than the other. Time will tell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was imaginging that beautiful scenerio before the lotto. Then stopped daydreaming about it because there was no way he would drop to 5. Then for 5 blissful minutes after the Ottawa pick all of our bad luck seemed to have turned around and Keller and Zadina would get a shot to play together! Then Chayka said "From the Soo" and the living nightmare of being a Coyotes fan came pouring over me once again.
I have no idea why most are upset at this point because the draft didn't fall like the "experts" thought. It doesn't mean squat at this time. I hadn't even hear of Hayton until the Coyotes called his name. All I heard was the top three were pretty much a lock.

Reactions: doaner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad