Shoots: Left
Position: D

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperHF

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
When’s the last time a giant D actually became a legitimate offensive force on the backend? Especially with the way the game is trending.

Regardless, best case scenario is that Bahl is another Brandon Carlo. Don’t love the pick but you can do worse than drafting a giant shutdown 4D with a late second.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Can you say John Scott? 6'8" 260lbs.

NHL Career2865611-195440000001084.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Oh, didn't realize you had two OHL d-men...so I am back for unprovoked thoughts...on the floor, this guy was highly coveted. A couple scouts told me they wouldn't be surprised if he snuck to the top of the 2nd...

I am not quite as high on him as many other came to be but I do see what they see and I understand why he is worth a look...there is a foundation of skating and skill that could be nourished...he isn't just a big guy that happens to play hockey, he offers more than that...

Kevin Bahl (Ottawa [OHL], #88, LHS LD) - Massive defenseman with surprisingly good lateral mobility and forward skating speed. Very strong on his edges and has a small turning radius for his size. Backskating still needs a lot of work. Needs to really work on small-area footwork and adjustments. Often gets caught rotating in his skate blades while flat instead of churning his feet and it costs him leverage. Shows the potential for some puck skills down the line, but it will take him some time to get coordinated with that. Has trouble disconnecting the top half of his body from the lower half, as such some puck movement is a little stiff. Competitor, physical, but controlled. Shows good awareness, communicates on the ice well. Still needs to improve box-out fundamentals in front of his own net. He sometimes looks a little timid to close guys off or use his frame to give himself more time with the puck. He hasn't take the step to the physically dominate the field in every way yet, but that could be a coordination issue. Doesn't seem to pack much of a shot yet.

Hockey Sense: B
Skating speed/power/acc: C-
Skating lateral/edges/agility: B
Vision: C
Puck skills: D+
Shot: C-
Defense technique: C-
Defense urgency: B
Frame/size: A+
Ceiling/Risk: 4-5/Med-High (mid round)

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Oh, didn't realize you had two OHL d-men...so I am back for unprovoked thoughts...on the floor, this guy was highly coveted. A couple scouts told me they wouldn't be surprised if he snuck to the top of the 2nd...

I am not quite as high on him as many other came to be but I do see what they see and I understand why he is worth a look...there is a foundation of skating and skill that could be nourished...he isn't just a big guy that happens to play hockey, he offers more than that...

Kevin Bahl (Ottawa [OHL], #88, LHS LD) - Massive defenseman with surprisingly good lateral mobility and forward skating speed. Very strong on his edges and has a small turning radius for his size. Backskating still needs a lot of work. Needs to really work on small-area footwork and adjustments. Often gets caught rotating in his skate blades while flat instead of churning his feet and it costs him leverage. Shows the potential for some puck skills down the line, but it will take him some time to get coordinated with that. Has trouble disconnecting the top half of his body from the lower half, as such some puck movement is a little stiff. Competitor, physical, but controlled. Shows good awareness, communicates on the ice well. Still needs to improve box-out fundamentals in front of his own net. He sometimes looks a little timid to close guys off or use his frame to give himself more time with the puck. He hasn't take the step to the physically dominate the field in every way yet, but that could be a coordination issue. Doesn't seem to pack much of a shot yet.

Hockey Sense: B
Skating speed/power/acc: C-
Skating lateral/edges/agility: B
Vision: C
Puck skills: D+
Shot: C-
Defense technique: C-
Defense urgency: B
Frame/size: A+
Ceiling/Risk: 4-5/Med-High (mid round)
Mike, thanks for all your valuable inputs

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This kid can skate. Honestly you would think he's 5'10" out there. It's actually quite surprising.

Redline had him as a late first rounder on their list.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I have mixed emotions here. I think he will become a good defender; he certainly has all the tools to be an extremely valuable defensive D who GM's still covet. You can't teach size and reach.
the flipside is that the really solid defensive defenseman typically needs a lot of time (experience) to reach that level. So he's probably 5+ years away from really making an impact unless he's exceptionally gifted with hockey sense.
I mean absolute best case you're looking for Zdeno Chara, which would obviously have an immense effect. But Chara took a relatively long time to go from 1st rounder, NHL player, is-he-a-bust, trade, blossoming into good defender, All-Star.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This kid can skate. Honestly you would think he's 5'10" out there. It's actually quite surprising.
That’s a bit hyperbolic, I think. I watched him at the U18s and was impressed with his straight line speed but dismissed him pretty quickly as lacking quickness, lateral mobility and the ability to change directions quickly.

I think he’s a powerful skater, who’s fast for his size, but his overall “skating ability” needs a ton of development. I would not have considered him in the top 62. Though, that has a lot to do with offensive upside.

He looks lost in the offensive zone. Like he can’t wait bail out and go play D. It’s sort of like reverse cherry-picking. Like the opposite of how Nikita Filatov would just hang out at his own blue line in the offensive zone, beaver-tailing and just hoping for an off man rush. Bahl seems like he’d be just as happy to never cross his own side of the redline.

Now I’m the one exaggerating. ;)

He’s seven foot tall with a muffin of a shot and a Frankenstein skating style. He’s good defensively and he’s mean, but any big hit he throws in the nhl will be an automatic penalty for checking while tall.

Disclaimer: I’ve one see him play one tournament ever.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
I was watching the second round and when the Leafs took Durzi, I was hoping the Coyotes would trade up or the Pens would have a brain fart and pass on Calen Addison.

No luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad