GDT: #55 - 02/11/20 | Rangers @ Jets | 8:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Jets wouldn't reverse that trade if they could, they love Pionk

Heinola looks like a good pick at #20 too. Rangers probably don't take him with their overload on defense, but having Trouba vs keeping Pionk and having a Simon Holmstrom (HV71 guy and the Rangers love their Swedes), I'll take Trouba out of that deal.

OT: I like Robertson, but man we could have used Fagemo with that pick. He'd be higher on our list that Robertson.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He's been great for them, leads the team in toi

But... better than Trouba? No.

He puts up a bunch of PP points and manages to defy terrible underlying numbers for the most part, but Winnipeg are solidly in a playoff spot with Trouba instead of Pionk logging those minutes.

As it stands they are trending to be a pre-season cup favourite that misses the playoffs, if they can't get it together. And Pionk getting 20+ minutes a night isn't going to help them turn it around imo.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think the bottom line with Trouba is he's a fine 1B but he's not someone you want headlining the top pair.

No clue what Pionk is doing on the defensive side of things these days but I don't miss him.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We go through this daily. You go through every NHL roster, some guys are overpaid and some underpaid. You can endeavor to fill the roster entirely with guys who are underpaid but it doesn't necessarily follow that the roster will be any good. The Rangers can afford to overpay Trouba by a million or two to fill an important role on the team if the team is not otherwise strapped for cash. The issue is not Trouba's contract, it's Lundqvist's, Staal's, and Smith's. Those guys can readily be replaced by guys making a fraction of their cost. Who can the Rangers readily obtain to eat Trouba's minutes at a lower cost? Fox, ADA, and Lundkvist aren't ready for that. I guess you can trade Trouba and just deal with the roster gap for a couple years until someone emerges as ready for the role, but you saw how well that worked out when Pionk was here. I'm fact, we bitch about it daily on the left side with Skjei.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We go through this daily. You go through every NHL roster, some guys are overpaid and some underpaid. You can endeavor to fill the roster entirely with guys who are underpaid but it doesn't necessarily follow that the roster will be any good. The Rangers can afford to overpay Trouba by a million or two to fill an important role on the team if the team is not otherwise strapped for cash. The issue is not Trouba's contract, it's Lundqvist's, Staal's, and Smith's. Those guys can readily be replaced by guys making a fraction of their cost. Who can the Rangers readily obtain to eat Trouba's minutes at a lower cost? Fox, ADA, and Lundkvist aren't ready for that. I guess you can trade Trouba and just deal with the roster gap for a couple years until someone emerges as ready for the role, but you saw how well that worked out when Pionk was here. I'm fact, we ***** about it daily on the left side with Skjei.

Very good points. The guys you mentioned are not ready to take on those top mins just yet but I look in another year or two and if Fox and DeAngelo continue this path, add Lundkvist to the mix. Gonna be very heavy on the right side.

I guess it’s a good problem to have but decisions need to be made if DeAngelo will be part of the future. Since I see him as the odd man out with Fox taking that 2RHD role and eventually 1RHD role when he is ready and if he continues this development path. If Trouba is on the 2nd pairing it’s excellent depth to have.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Says who?
giphy.gif

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Heinola looks like a good pick at #20 too. Rangers probably don't take him with their overload on defense, but having Trouba vs keeping Pionk and having a Simon Holmstrom (HV71 guy and the Rangers love their Swedes), I'll take Trouba out of that deal.

OT: I like Robertson, but man we could have used Fagemo with that pick. He'd be higher on our list that Robertson.

the Rangers suck at the 2nd round. No concept of maximizing your pick. Instead of taking guys who fell from the 1st round they reach for guys available in the 3rd

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Robertson is a pretty good pick, who will probably end up being better than K'Andre unless everything goes right for Miller. Seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad