Post-Game Talk: #53| FLYERS at Capitals | Sun., Feb. 8, 2015

SchennSational1022*

yeah.. because niskanen is a big bad tough guy...

Seriously, Laughton lost his balance and still landed a few good hits. Laughton has beaten up Tom Wilson for christ's ****ing sake in juniors/rookie games vs Caps, the kid is tough.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Seriously, Laughton lost his balance and still landed a few good hits. Laughton has beaten up Tom Wilson for christ's ****ing sake in juniors/rookie games vs Caps, the kid is tough.

Yeah, he avenged the hit, got smacked in the back of the helmet. Mission accomplished. He's earning the respect of the veterans the hard way.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
My biggest beef about the whole tanking mentality is that is completely ignores the concepts of confidence and momentum. While gaining extra points this season may hurt our draft pick, you're lying to yourself if you don't think the team remembers games or how they beat superior teams or a putting a string of wins together in a tough back to back or three in four stretch. This stuff carries over and will play a role in the success of the team next year.

If you think I'm crazy, just look at the Penguins. Since 2012 and the infamous playoff series we have owned that team. Every guy on this team knows they can win against the team. Confidence plays a large role, bigger than a lot of people think. And I'm absolutely not going to lose sleep if we pick a few spots higher but win some big games. I have zero interest in creating a losing culture in the dressing room. Because that's exactly what tanking does.
Absolutely agree. It amazes me that there really are some fans who would be okay with watching a team of quitters just to get a better draft pick.
When you want players like Couturier, Schenn or Laughton to become winners, you can't teach them to accept losing.

AFTeRMaTH*

between his love of detroit's drafting and his love of the flyers losing, i'm 99% sure he's on the wrong forum.

Lol you're a damn fool. If you can't appreciate the Wings drafting then your just the biggest flyers homer of all time. I feel sorry for you, I really do.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
There is really no point advocating that they lose now... historically picks 6-15 have minimal difference in producing good players.

And it is very unlikely we get top 5 overall, I mean, they would have to go ~9-17-3 for ~75 points to have a good chance of a top 5 pick.

They have been nowhere near that bad at any point in the year.

There is about as much chance of the ~18-7-4 for ~94 points and a good chance of the playoffs as finishing bottom 5.

Most likely they get pick 9-11.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I hate this winning run, they can't even be bad right. We lose when we want to win, we win when we want to lose. It's why this team is so eternally mediocre. We're good, but not the best. We're bad, but not the worst. Look at the top teams in this league right now. Detroit aside, all of these teams properly sucked for a while to be what they are now. Being mediocre doesn't get you anything in this handout league.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
I hate this winning run, they can't even be bad right. We lose when we want to win, we win when we want to lose. It's why this team is so eternally mediocre. We're good, but not the best. We're bad, but not the worst. Look at the top teams in this league right now. Detroit aside, all of these teams properly sucked for a while to be what they are now. Being mediocre doesn't get you anything in this handout league.

Ask Edmonton fans about guaranteed the success from a long rebuild is ... each situation in the league is different and there isn't a one size fits all fix. Would a #1 through #3 overall pick help the Flyers going forward, yes, but JVR says differently. There are no guaranteed fixes in this league like many on here think. I'm pretty sure if the Flyers went semi-tank mode for a number of years everyone around here who is advocating for that would find ten other things to b*tch about.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There is really no point advocating that they lose now... historically picks 6-15 have minimal difference in producing good players.

And it is very unlikely we get top 5 overall, I mean, they would have to go ~9-17-3 for ~75 points to have a good chance of a top 5 pick.

They have been nowhere near that bad at any point in the year.

There is about as much chance of the ~18-7-4 for ~94 points and a good chance of the playoffs as finishing bottom 5.

Most likely they get pick 9-11.

I get what you're saying, but it'd still be nice for them to be able to have as many people to choose from as possible, despite the fact that they'll probably pick a riser before he was supposed to go anyway

I'm not part of the "want them to lose every game and whine and complain after every win" crowd, but I'd still like a high pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hate this winning run, they can't even be bad right. We lose when we want to win, we win when we want to lose. It's why this team is so eternally mediocre.

2nd highest winning percentage in league history.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It should say something how we won 3-1, yet the refs, until a completely blatant boarding call, didn't give us any PP time the whole game. 6 calls against the Flyers but they stood tall on 5 of them. We won 3-1 even though the refs sucked it up big time.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
It should say something how we won 3-1, yet the refs, until a completely blatant boarding call, didn't give us any PP time the whole game. 6 calls against the Flyers but they stood tall on 5 of them. We won 3-1 even though the refs sucked it up big time.

and held them to their season low in shots since 2011? Could be wrong there, but thought I heard it mentioned on the broadcast. It's about time we turn the media loose on refs, Sure would like to hear Peele's rationale for not calling the high stick on Giroux. It was right in front of him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yet Niskanen completely destroyed him with many a punch to the head.

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say Laughton even got the best shot in with that right cross under Niskanen's visor.

To the other poster, Laughton and Wilson fought at a prospect camp for the OHL when they were 15. I don't think Scott would fare as well these days.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Saw somewhere that Laughton thanked Nisk for fighting him afterwards. Good for him that takes a lot to stand up for yourself especially at 20. 99% of the time when someone lands a big hit like that, someone else ends up fighting him for it whether it is clean or not, thats the hockey way. You lay a big hit and the teams tougher guys fight you. In this case, Laughton did it himself and delt with his issue on it own and good for him. Credit is an understatement to what that gives a kid in the NHL and in his locker room

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I have no problem with what laughton did, in theory
in reality, I have a big problem with a promising rookie who just sat out weeks with a concussion inviting someone to fisticuff his noggin so soon thereafter...
Van Impe: You have your whole career to get revenge...

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
Taking a step back, I am annoyed at the Flyers for winning games, but I can't help but be happy when the wins do happen. Outside of game time, I am seeing myself as a "tank" guy, but once the game begins, I want to see a win... as if I have a devil and angel on my shoulders and both are screaming loud in my ears

Even with the wins, I want to hope that Hextall sees where the problems are, and despite where the standings are at the deadline can make moves that will help the team long-term instead of buying at the deadline or standing pat thinking this team has the ability to climb their way into the SCF.

Whatever your thoughts are on "tanking," you have to realize this team cannot repeat what the 2009-10 team did. That team was built at the beginning of the season to win, but had to retool midway through the season when the coach was replaced, by the time the playoffs came around, the system was in place and their only real weakness was in goal. Chris Pronger was a huge reason Lavy's system worked so well and it was pretty obvious why this team had major defensive issues once he started up with injuries in 2011.

I do hope this team continues to win games and I for one will not cheer on a loss, because as was stated before, confidence is an intangible that will keep rewarding for seasons to come. At the same time, I will not get too bent out of shape and drink heavily after a loss because the silver lining is the possibility of a great pick and hopefully a trade deadline that could at least get rid of one of the cap unfriendly contracts.

With the talent they have in the pipeline for the Flyers' blue line, as long as Hexy doesn't buy at the deadline, we should be just fine, even if we do manage to get a spot in the playoffs (playoff experience is another intangible, btw).

I just hope that if there is a chance to dump the bad contracts at the deadline, whether the Flyers are closer to the 8th spot or not, that Hextall takes the offer.

And btw, this extends to the coach, not just the roster of players.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
just wish we could do a deal to get a couple more 1st rd picks....i just want provorov, rantanen and miere. is that too much to ask?

I want to see a head coach and a good staff that have a clue. Don't get me wrong, I think Joe Mullen has been a good assistant during his time with the Flyers, but Laperriere and Murphy seem to be in over their head and Berube continues to make bad decision after bad decision with regards to personnel.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Don't get me wrong, I like seeing him stand up for himself. But I'd really, really, really prefer to see him avoid taking a dozen punches to the back of the head fresh off a concussion, and anyone who thinks he didn't get thoroughly owned in that fight (one good punch does not negate that) is kidding themselves.

Basically I just wish it had gone better.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This got lost with all the Mason stuff, but it was great to see Coots back with Simmer.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This got lost with all the Mason stuff, but it was great to see Coots back with Simmer.

He's only ever looked good with Read and Couturier. Better than he has with Schenn and Laughton, or Schenn and Vinny...because the Couturier line actually has a guy (Couturier, and to a lesser extend Read) who are pretty damned good/competent at maintaining possession. Simmonds has two guys who can win along the boards and set him up on that line, and he provides speed and reliable net presence. He's far more reliable than Umberger or Rinaldo (duh) and is a positive factor instead of a burden.

Several people have called for him (or Hartnell, who at the time provided the same things) to be on that line to round it out, and every time he's been on that line it has looked very promising. Yet Berube completely refuses to let them stay together, and I have a feeling it'll get broken up again when Rinaldo returns and takes his place on Cout's wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad